winching killing battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > winching killing battery

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
nniemczyk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

winching killing battery

INFO:
-I have a warn 9500
-No problem with the jeep ever starting becouse the battery

Last night I was off roading with my some of my buddies and we got a f-150 stuck bad in a pit (I know damn ford right). So got out my tow straps and ARB snatch and hooked everything up to pull him out. While I was pulling him out the battery started dying (yes jeep was running). So I had to put on the gas while still winching. Well got him out of the pit and my jeep ran fine after that. I guess the question I have is do i need to get a better battery like an optima, get a better alternator,or run duel batteries.
Thanks for the help.

nniemczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nniemczyk View Post
INFO:
-I have a warn 9500

Last night I was off roading with my some of my buddies and we got a f-150 stuck bad in a pit (I know damn ford right). So got out my tow straps and ARB snatch and hooked everything up to pull him out. While I was pulling him out the battery started dying (yes jeep was running). So I had to put on the gas while still winching. Well got him out of the pit and my jeep ran fine after that. I guess the question I have is do i need to get a better battery like an optima, get a better alternator,or run duel batteries.
Thanks for the help.
Yes winching even with motor running can kill a battery. Been there, done that. Screw the Optima, the old ones were great, the new ones are junk. If you want a real good deep cycle battery that will survive, go to NAPA and get their Excide Jell battery.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
nniemczyk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

perfect man thanks for the help.
nniemczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
perfect man thanks for the help.
There are people who swear by Sears Die Hard Battery. I think the NAPA battery is the best choice, but it is also $200.00 whereas the Die Hard is probably 50% of this.
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just go with a quality battery, and charge it with a battery charger if you drain it too much. I don't think too much of Optima batteries, personally...even the old ones.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

diehard p4 platinum is also around 200 and yes it's a great battery
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think your alt kicked out. And it be because you batt is old?? The alt shut down is a good thing. it means to me I won't kill an alternator from over taxing the unit. Pulling for more than 15 seconds is not advised in the instructions in most winchs due to over heating of the winch motor. mine kicked out one night and i stopped winching for a min and it came right back on.
Most winches pulling more 2000lbs pull more then 200 amps as well. No single alternator on Jeeps is going to keep up with that.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You need a deep cycle battery. That why it kept running down under heavy load. Yes it will still do it with a deep cycle, But not as bad and they are made for it. I run a blue top D34M, All my other jeeps and vehicles have red tops. Only had problem with one, But for the price, Ill replace my blue with a DH, Has a way better warranty. Good luck
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
sportcoupe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a quality battery at a good price go O'Reillys for their Extreme AGM battery. It's only $139 and can handle winch loads very well and will also handle the shock of off-road driving too.

Extreme AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat)

* 84 month warranty
* 3 year free replacement
* Great for high powered accessories and high vibration applications
* Spill proof and leak proof - mount in virtually any position
* Sealed construction eliminates terminal corrosion
* 100% maintenance free design
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Any of the high capacity AGM batteries are a better choice for a Jeep, much less a Jeep with a winch.

I run the East Penn Deka AGM battery as sold by O'Reillys with their Super Start Extreme AGM name for about $140 and it runs my Warn M8000 without breaking a sweat.

Edit: I'm a bit slower than sportcoupe, above. He said it well!
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

my votes for
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #12
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
INFO:
-I have a warn 9500

Thanks for the help.
Since you were winching at night, were you running any aux lights and head lights, etc. Lights are additional load that you would not normally experience during winching in day light. Just a thought.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Just go with a quality battery, and charge it with a battery charger if you drain it too much. I don't think too much of Optima batteries, personally...even the old ones.
Depending upon the exact situation, this may work a time or two, or it may not work at all. After I winched my battery beyond its limits, it was never the same. No matter what I did, it was a weak battery from that day forward.
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #14
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

install a hand throttle, set your rpms up when winching and get an upgraded alternator coupled with a better battery if you do a lot of night riding with lights and winching involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Depending upon the exact situation, this may work a time or two, or it may not work at all. After I winched my battery beyond its limits, it was never the same. No matter what I did, it was a weak battery from that day forward.
Well, by "quality battery" I refer to such models as the ones listed above. Furthermore, I haven't ever had a battery that couldn't survive being drained down a bit, but if I was unclear when I said "too much" I apologize. I agree wholeheartedly that if you take a battery beyond its limitations, then you may never get it back...however, I also see a big difference between "too much" and "beyond its limits." The former is a reparable danger zone. The latter is not.

Thanks for pointing that out!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.