winch weight bad ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > winch weight bad ?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #31
Bludnguts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

what about the smittybilt 8000lb one ? would that work ?

Unread 12-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
lancetkenyon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtlez28 View Post
I deleted my winch for the same reason. My Superwinch with plate weighed 120 pounds!

Not to hyjack, but why don't more people run a front 2" receiver, so the winch could be carried inside, then slid into the front or rear receiver depending on situation? I think that is my plan unless I missed something.

And synthetic line sounds like a worthwhile investment to me. I cannot shake my road racing, every pound counts mentality.
While this might be an alternative for some light recreational wheeling, it definitely has its drawbacks. First, lugging 120# around if you need to install it. Second, wiring it up after you install it. Third, taking up valuable(and almost non-existant in a Wrangler) storage space. Fourth, not nearly as strong of an attachment as a permanent mount.

Could you imagine trying to install it once you are in this position(because you could not get the approach angle if you installed it before you started up)? Lug it up the waterfall, and reach out and install it once you get it up? No thanks.

lancetkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #33
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Only a mall crawler would really worry about the weight of a winch. Unless your trying to chop gross weight for fuel saving's.
A winch on the trail, is a very handy tool to have at your finger tips. either to get yourself or a wheeling buddy out of trouble. If your concerned about a little rake. change your springs or install a spacer.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #34
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsquirt View Post
Only a mall crawler would really worry about the weight of a winch. Unless your trying to chop gross weight for fuel saving's.
I have to disagree with you on this. I think weight reduction is extremely important to the hardcore (and even mild) offroader. Sometimes every little pound could make the difference in successfully making it up and over an obstacle.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #35
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. I think weight reduction is extremely important to the hardcore offroader. Sometimes every little pound could make the difference in successfully making it up and over an obstacle.
While I don't consider myself hardcore, I agree 100% with this. I definitely think I can tell the difference if say I empty out the back, remove the seat, etc. versus not or if the gas tank is 1/4 full versus 3/4 full.
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
While I don't consider myself hardcore
By hardcore I meant anyone who off-roads regularly. I don't consider myself "hardcore" either but understand the benefits of keeping weight down. sorry for the confusion.

My overall point was, weight matters a great deal for all of us. Not just mall crawlers trying to save gas as Dirtsquirt suggested.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #37
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsquirt View Post
A winch on the trail, is a very handy tool to have at your finger tips. either to get yourself or a wheeling buddy out of trouble. If your concerned about a little rake. change your springs or install a spacer.
when your jeep weighs almost 4800lbs, your constantly driving in altitudes over 7000ft and you jeep is undergeared cause you cant go to 5:13s cause of axles i think weight plays a huge issue. my jeep back in IL could cruise all day long and keep up with traffic, now im in colorado at 5600ft above sea level and drive to higher elevations often where the 4.0 and 42rle really lack power, now add 4800lb jeep and yes weight saving is an issue.. but i guess i could go to the mall and not worry about it except i like to take the long way around
family-782.jpg   family-765.jpg   family-793.jpg  
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #38
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
when your jeep weighs almost 4800lbs, your constantly driving in altitudes over 7000ft and you jeep is undergeared cause you cant go to 5:13s cause of axles i think weight plays a huge issue. my jeep back in IL could cruise all day long and keep up with traffic, now im in colorado at 5600ft above sea level and drive to higher elevations often where the 4.0 and 42rle really lack power
hehe, see! I'm not making this gearing junk up.

Glad somebody else knows where I'm coming from with the 42RLE suckage
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #39
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
hehe, see! I'm not making this gearing junk up.

Glad somebody else knows where I'm coming from with the 42RLE suckage
if i was still back home i would still stand tall on my setup working perfect. of course there are no hill and i was 500ft above sea level although i can still drive 70+ here in Colorado my jeep is taking a beating. i have 2 new leaks (1 coolant and 1 TCleak/transmission) and i think it is cause of how my jeep has to work overtime to stay at that 70mph.
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #40
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
if i was still back home i would still stand tall on my setup working perfect. of course there are no hill and i was 500ft above sea level although i can still drive 70+ here in Colorado my jeep is taking a beating. i have 2 new leaks (1 coolant and 1 TCleak/transmission) and i think it is cause of how my jeep has to work overtime to stay at that 70mph.
well, on the upside, those 4.56s would be perfect for a set of 31s.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #41
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
well, on the upside, those 4.56s would be perfect for a set of 31s.
for the once a week i drive the jeep Ill keep it the way it is, other than the changing from steel to alloy wheels.
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #42
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtlez28 View Post
...why don't more people run a front 2" receiver, so the winch could be carried inside, then slid into the front or rear receiver depending on situation?...

I have that set up on my old MJ. The problem with it is side pulls. Side pulls are a no no! The hitches are not built for it. And, sometimes you just can't avoid it withouth multiple snatchblocks and a ton of cable. Don't get me wrong, it's great for keeping the weight and air blockage off the front of the Jeep. And it rocks when you need the rear pull. But it does have limitations...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #43
DH19922010
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock1983 View Post
that sounds like a recipie for destruction. Besides the thickness of an aluminum bumper that could withstand the same forces as steel would be so thick that one might not realize any weight reduction, just strength reduction.
Why does everyone think the only type of aluminum is the kind cans are made out of!
DH19922010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #44
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. I think weight reduction is extremely important to the hardcore (and even mild) offroader. Sometimes every little pound could make the difference in successfully making it up and over an obstacle.
I guess it boils down to the wheeling you do, rock crawling less weight would more the likely be better, But here i guess with little rock and and lots of slick hills. the winch and bumper weight help.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #45
Bludnguts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

IM saving now for a winch i just dont know how much of a rake it will give the jeep

Tags
winch weight

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.