winch weight bad ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > winch weight bad ?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #16
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The key factor is what springs you have.

TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #17
UPAT
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had this problem (heavy winch) and simply inflated the front tires with Helium - problem fixed.
UPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have synthetic line, which helps a lot, as well as being much nicer to use.

My winch mounting plate was kinda heavy, so I added some 20 mm coil spacers on the front of my Jeep and it looks nice and level now.

Hope that helps
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

How about an aluminum front bumper and winch mount and synthetic line?
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The spacers are the easiest and cheapest fix. 3/4" and mine sits perfectly level.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #21
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't lose anything noticeable when I dropped a Warn 9500i and mount plate on my factory bumper earlier this year. Using OME springs.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #22
jeepmtnbiker
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtlez28 View Post
I deleted my winch for the same reason. My Superwinch with plate weighed 120 pounds!

Not to hyjack, but why don't more people run a front 2" receiver, so the winch could be carried inside, then slid into the front or rear receiver depending on situation? I think that is my plan unless I missed something.

And synthetic line sounds like a worthwhile investment to me. I cannot shake my road racing, every pound counts mentality.
most jeep hitches are not rated for 8000+ pounds. I know my 2 inch receiver is rated for 400lb tongue weight and 4000lb pull. Would not want to put a 8000LB winch on that.
jeepmtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #23
Austinb86
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a heavy duty bumper/tire carrier ....if you aren't adverse to gross weight issues.
Austinb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #24
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I deleted my winch for the same reason. My Superwinch with plate weighed 120 pounds!

Not to hyjack, but why don't more people run a front 2" receiver, so the winch could be carried inside, then slid into the front or rear receiver depending on situation? I think that is my plan unless I missed something.

And synthetic line sounds like a worthwhile investment to me. I cannot shake my road racing, every pound counts mentality.
Having done it, the receiver style ones really limit your approach angles, and they rattle, and you have to take them on and off all the time.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #25
Bludnguts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well i have RC 2 1/2 lift so they are rough country progressive springs. and i have a steel bumper on the front, but stock one on the back im tryin to decide weither to fork out the 500 bucks for the smitty bilt tublar bumper with tire carrier
Bludnguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #26
Knuts
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check out smitty bilt 10,000lb winch. It comes with synthetic line and a 2 year warranty. Weighed the box it was shipped in and with everything included it was only 65lbs plus we picked it up for $600 canadian.
Knuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #27
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Think about the last time you got stuck to where you needed a winch. Was your front bumper accessible or was it under the mud/against a rock/underwater? Was there enough room between your bumper and the obstacle for you to stand in front of it and install a winch? Do you like to make other wheelers wait extra long while you dick around installing a winch on the trail? Are you trying to use it for getting your jeep unstuck or are you just wanting to bend the **** outta your bumper?
...yeah you missed something

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar
How about an aluminum front bumper and winch mount and synthetic line?
that sounds like a recipie for destruction. Besides the thickness of an aluminum bumper that could withstand the same forces as steel would be so thick that one might not realize any weight reduction, just strength reduction.
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #28
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock1983 View Post
that sounds like a recipie for destruction. Besides the thickness of an aluminum bumper that could withstand the same forces as steel would be so thick that one might not realize any weight reduction, just strength reduction.
Ever heard of Savvy or Metalcloak I'd say there are quite a few people running aluminum bumpers with integrated winch mounts
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #29
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Ever heard of Savvy or Metalcloak I'd say there are quite a few people running aluminum bumpers with integrated winch mounts
I have heard of them but did not know that they made alu bumpers. Are these Alu bumpers as strong as steel bumpers? Or are they mostly for looks? Is there any noticable weight reduction? I know that I have shaved several pounds of steel off my bumper on the rocks over the years, I cringe to think what an alu bumper would look like after a few runs through the rubicon.
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #30
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock1983 View Post
I have heard of them but did not know that they made alu bumpers. Are these Alu bumpers as strong as steel bumpers? Or are they mostly for looks? Is there any noticable weight reduction? I know that I have shaved several pounds of steel off my bumper on the rocks over the years, I cringe to think what an alu bumper would look like after a few runs through the rubicon.
I and many others here run the Savvy aluminum bumper (that is it in the avatar). Definitely not just for looks. Very strong. There are several threads out there discussing it in detail. Here's one for example: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...2/index15.html

Tags
winch weight

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.