winch weight bad ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > winch weight bad ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Bludnguts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

winch weight bad ?

So i have a 2005 jeep TJ and i have put a 2 1/2" lift and 33's on, and i am worry some when i take it out cuz i dont wanna get stuck out in the boonies. i currently have a smittybilt front bumper on it and it has a slight rake on it, but i wanna put a winch on it but i looked it up and it weighs 94lbs and i wanted to know how much more it would lower my jeep. i dont want a huge rake on my jeep a slight rake is fine with me though. thanks ..

Bludnguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
MikeyJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

All jeeps are different, find something or someone near 100pounds and have them stand on the front bumper.
MikeyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Drew4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJ View Post
All jeeps are different, find something or someone near 100pounds and have them stand on the front bumper.
Win. /thread.

WTB: lift kit for 2003 TJ. Prefer suspension lift, student budget. Located in Ontario.
Drew4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Most people add spacers after mounting the winch if needed, to level out.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
OutermostJeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
Yup. Added 3/4" spacers to mine after installing the winch, and all is well.
OutermostJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Throw the winch on there and start parking facing up hill.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This.

Also, you could run synthetic winch line. Safer and lighter than steel cable which would help reduce the overall weight your adding to the front bumper
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Darkmoon

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo2500 View Post
also, you could run synthetic winch line. Safer and lighter than steel cable which would help reduce the overall weight your adding to the front bumper
x2

1999 TJ "Diablo Rojo"

RC 4" Suspension Lift, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, G2 Rear Dana 44 with4.88 gears and Auburn ECTED Max Locker and Disc Brake Conversion, Front Auburn ECTED MAX Locker, MORE 1" Motor Mount Lift, Off Road Only U-Turn Crossover Steering, Pro Comp Front Track Bar, Terraflex Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms, Blumenthals Custom Rear Driveshaft, JKS Extended Brake Lines, JKS Bar Pin Eliminator - Front & Rear, JKS Shock Conversion, MORE Steering Brace, TeraFlex Sway Bar System, ARB Snorkel, Purple Cranium Differential Spyder Skid, 35x12.50x15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2's on 15 X 8 Black Pro Comp Street Beads Wheels, Rancho Shocks and Steering Stabilizer, Smittybilt Front & Rear Bumpers, Smittybilt XRC 8 Comp Winch, Skid Row Offroad Radiator Guard, Skid Row Lower Control Arm Skids, Warn Steering Box Skid, Poison Spyder Custom Crusher Corners, Front Fenders & Ricochet Rockers,12 Volt Guy Incab Winch Control, and much more...
Darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yep... pros & cons to synthetic.I personally like it but, I will wait before the several hundred dollar replacement line on my Warn. It is still great after many years and situations.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep... pros & cons to synthetic.I personally like it but, I will wait before the several hundred dollar replacement line on my Warn. It is still great after many years and situations.
for me after 4 years of running 100ft of steel cable with several kinks, and lugging around all the extra weight i see a synthetic cable in my near future.
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think I read switching to synthetic on an M8000 would take about 30-35lbs off of it which makes a big difference on the front bumper of a Jeep
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
I think I read switching to synthetic on an M8000 would take about 30-35lbs off of it which makes a big difference on the front bumper of a Jeep
Makes a big difference to your wallet too

It's good stuff, but no reason to change if your steel cable is still in good shape and you PROPERLY MAINTAIN IT and use it SAFELY

Just get some front spring spacers to fix your leveling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just didn't care for the way the jeep felt with the added weight on the nose between the plate and the winch it adds up which is why the front gets lower naturally. I added a spacer so it looked better but thats all a spacer does in that case it just makes it looks better when whats needed is stronger springs.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
subtlez28
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I deleted my winch for the same reason. My Superwinch with plate weighed 120 pounds!

Not to hyjack, but why don't more people run a front 2" receiver, so the winch could be carried inside, then slid into the front or rear receiver depending on situation? I think that is my plan unless I missed something.

And synthetic line sounds like a worthwhile investment to me. I cannot shake my road racing, every pound counts mentality.
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Also depends on the springs you have. I run RE springs with a high spring rate. After I added all the armor, bumpers, winch, and whatnot, I didn't notice too much of a difference.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
winch weight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.