To make a long story short, I need to be able to recover a vehicle whose weight is between 2,000 to 3,500 pounds out of a sandy area (beach)...
I have decided to install a winch (dont want to hire someone to recover the vehicle) for this purpose but don't know anything about winches...
I've done some research ... here's what I'm confused about:
1) Regarding winch models, would you put a warn winch in your jeep? Is warn the best brand?
2) If you recommend the warn brand, which model do you recommend? (they have a lot) ... I would like something more powerful than I need ... just because you never know ... I was looking at a 9.5TI and a 9.5XP -- but what's the difference in the two? Are those good models - or do you think another warn model is better?
3) Is the winch bolt-on? Do I need a winch plate (to make it fit)?
4) When using the winch, I know I attach the winch's rope to the frame of the stuck car, but which side? (it doesnt have an area in the middle) (does it matter?)
5) It is my understanding that winches are electric (non gas powered) ... this is why they use heavy gauge wiring and rely on the battery and alternator to do their job ... Is my understanding correct?
6) How hard is it to install a winch?
7) Is there anything else I need to know about winches?
most like warn due to speed, i have a harbor freight for mine and it does the job for lot less, no matter what winch you will need a plate of some kind, even some of those who do the warns use the HF plate as its only $40, a winch of 8k or more will do the job with plenty of extra, either side long as its strong,most are electric although some are hydrolic and run off PS pump but price goes up, very easy to install, stay out of way of cable if it snaps it could kill, i dont care what mythbusters say they can and have
I have decided on a Milemarker SE9500 because it is economical...
I think I may have a problem ... this is the bumper I have on it ... It doesnt have a winch space cutout ...
It's not that you don't have the winch space cutout, it's just that there is no easy access to the bolts to bolt the winch plate to. So if I were you I'd start looking at other bumpers or looking to sell yours and buy a used stock one. You could even pick up a stock one for free and take the money you get for your current one and get more mods.