Winch Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Winch Questions

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
holyearth

Winch Questions

Hello everyone,

I have a '99 TJ Sport - I6 4.0L

To make a long story short, I need to be able to recover a vehicle whose weight is between 2,000 to 3,500 pounds out of a sandy area (beach)...

I have decided to install a winch (dont want to hire someone to recover the vehicle) for this purpose but don't know anything about winches...

I've done some research ... here's what I'm confused about:

1) Regarding winch models, would you put a warn winch in your jeep? Is warn the best brand?

2) If you recommend the warn brand, which model do you recommend? (they have a lot) ... I would like something more powerful than I need ... just because you never know ... I was looking at a 9.5TI and a 9.5XP -- but what's the difference in the two? Are those good models - or do you think another warn model is better?

3) Is the winch bolt-on? Do I need a winch plate (to make it fit)?

4) When using the winch, I know I attach the winch's rope to the frame of the stuck car, but which side? (it doesnt have an area in the middle) (does it matter?)

5) It is my understanding that winches are electric (non gas powered) ... this is why they use heavy gauge wiring and rely on the battery and alternator to do their job ... Is my understanding correct?

6) How hard is it to install a winch?

7) Is there anything else I need to know about winches?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!!!

holyearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

most like warn due to speed, i have a harbor freight for mine and it does the job for lot less, no matter what winch you will need a plate of some kind, even some of those who do the warns use the HF plate as its only $40, a winch of 8k or more will do the job with plenty of extra, either side long as its strong,most are electric although some are hydrolic and run off PS pump but price goes up, very easy to install, stay out of way of cable if it snaps it could kill, i dont care what mythbusters say they can and have

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Here's a good write up on a which install. Check out the pull-pal.

http://www.jeepspeak.com/ce_winch.asp

Comparisons of some winches:
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
holyearth

Thank you both for your answers!

The comparison chart was very helpful.

I have decided on a Milemarker SE9500 because it is economical...

I think I may have a problem ... this is the bumper I have on it ... It doesnt have a winch space cutout ...

Any ideas?

Unread 05-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
XabuJr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyearth
Thank you both for your answers!

The comparison chart was very helpful.

I have decided on a Milemarker SE9500 because it is economical...

I think I may have a problem ... this is the bumper I have on it ... It doesnt have a winch space cutout ...

Any ideas?

It's not that you don't have the winch space cutout, it's just that there is no easy access to the bolts to bolt the winch plate to. So if I were you I'd start looking at other bumpers or looking to sell yours and buy a used stock one. You could even pick up a stock one for free and take the money you get for your current one and get more mods.

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
holyearth

Do they make a plate that would act like an "adapter" for my situation?

Also when I'm looking at "power needed at x lbs line pull" (in amps) ... this is obviously talking about the battery right? I don't know of an alternator with a 400+ output....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.