JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Winch pulled jeep while in park? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/winch-pulled-jeep-while-park-1329477/)

edmonddantes 02-15-2012 04:34 PM

Winch pulled jeep while in park?

I have an 04 rubicon auto on 33x12.50 tires. Today at work a forklift got stuck on basically flat ground (it just couldnt get good traction;
So I hooked my winch to it to see if I could pull it free...
Long story short, the forklift weighed more than my jeep, and my jeep was no match for my superwinch 9500lbs
So since I was on concrete my winch pulled my jeep around a foot; The jeep was in park at the time. While I'm certainly not going to make a habit of being pulled while in park, do you guys think I did any damage to my tranny from it?

Bedwell 02-15-2012 04:41 PM

I don't think it would do any damage. Why didnt you hook a strap to the rear of the wrangler to a secure point so it wouldnt have moved when you went to winch?

flying_bosun 02-15-2012 04:42 PM

Yeah, it's probably completely ruined. Un-bolt it and send to me, I'll dispose of it for you.

Srsly, assuming the tires broke traction, it's ok. BUT...don't do that again, put the Tx in neutral and use your brakes and/or an anchor point from now on, k?

mrblaine 02-15-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedwell (Post 13059407)
Why didnt you hook a strap to the rear of the wrangler to a secure point so it wouldnt have moved when you went to winch?

Because he is new to winching and recovery and has yet to get a grasp of the basics.

flying_bosun 02-15-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 13059420)
Because he is new to winching and recovery and has yet to get a grasp of the basics.

At least he's smart enough to have realized that there's probably a better way. :thumbsup:

1999TJRED85000 02-15-2012 04:55 PM

You had a physics challenge! Here's some non-standard thought:

If you had a completely mismatched weight to move, and you have to move it with a small winch/Jeep, take a large strap or cable and secure it from the forklift to an immovable object (like a huge tree or a giant concrete block) and then attach your winch to the center of the strap, like the letter "T". Winch the winch about 6 feet, then tighten up the strap from the forklift to the tree and repeat. Each time you'll get about 3 to 10 feet depending on the length of the tree/forklift strap, but the amount of force created on the forklift is astounding, considering the relatively small force from the winch. (Note: It better be a huge tree or you'll rip it out of the ground. lol)

biffgnar 02-15-2012 04:59 PM

I was under the impression that winching while in park was a good way to break the pawl.

Griff1918 02-15-2012 05:00 PM

thats a good way to shear a parking fork. i never winch anything with it in park. always in neutral

hndswthtshdws 02-15-2012 05:00 PM

The component that could be damaged by winching in park is the parking awl. If park still works (the vehicle doesnt roll) then everything is fine. Pawls shear, they dont usually bend.

grogie 02-15-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TJRED85000 (Post 13059480)

If you had a completely mismatched weight to move, and you have to move it with a small winch/Jeep, take a large strap or cable and secure it from the forklift to an immovable object (like a huge tree or a giant concrete block) and then attach your winch to the center of the strap, like the letter "T". Winch the winch about 6 feet, then tighten up the strap from the forklift to the tree and repeat. Each time you'll get about 3 to 10 feet depending on the length of the tree/forklift strap, but the amount of force created on the forklift is astounding, considering the relatively small force from the winch. (Note: It better be a huge tree or you'll rip it out of the ground. lol)

That's pretty cool. I'd like to see that... :thumbsup:

edmonddantes 02-15-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TJRED85000 (Post 13059480)

That's good to know :tea:

edmonddantes 02-15-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 13059420)

Yeah, I'm not really used to winching yet lol, I'll get better someday.

I one of the reasons it didn't come up though, is I was in front of a tin wall so I didn't really have an anchor point behind me.
I was mostly goofing off, and it was really a half-hearted attempt; I knew the forklift was way too heavy to pull if it was actually stuck (which it ended up being) I was just trying to pull it forward slighty to catch traction.
It's probably best I didn't have anthing to attach my rear bumper to, as it ended up being way harder to get the dang forklift off the gravel then we first thought, and we ended up using a tractor.

mrblaine 02-15-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmonddantes (Post 13060327)
Yeah, I'm not really used to winching yet lol, I'll get better someday.

I one of the reasons it didn't come up though, is I was in front of a tin wall so I didn't really have an anchor point behind me.
I was mostly goofing off, and it was really a half-hearted attempt; I knew the forklift was way too heavy to pull if it was actually stuck (which it ended up being) I was just trying to pull it forward slighty to catch traction.
It's probably best I didn't have anthing to attach my rear bumper to, as it ended up being way harder to get the dang forklift off the gravel then we first thought, and we ended up using a tractor.

You and your winch would have done just fine had you been using an anchor point.

You should however take this as a sign and remember that winches are best used for self recovery.

hndswthtshdws 02-15-2012 07:34 PM

If you are breaking traction with the winch, you could have just hooked onto it with a towrope and pulled it and you would have pulled with the same force.

edmonddantes 02-15-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 13060507)
You and your winch would have done just fine had you been using an anchor point.

You should however take this as a sign and remember that winches are best used for self recovery.

Duly noted; self recovery seems to be the most straight forward (no pun intended) and safe use for a front mounted winch. There was really no good reason for me to use it in the manner I did, I'll just chalk it up youthful exuberance, and consider myself lucky I didn't cost myself more money than I wanted to spend this week.

The time now is 03:27 PM.