JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Winch-Pictures of How You Ran the Wires (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/winch-pictures-how-you-ran-wires-1062594/)

explorerlyon 07-03-2010 10:27 AM

Winch-Pictures of How You Ran the Wires

I have seen some pictures of wires running from the winch THROUGH the grill and comments of the wires rubbing on the grill. I have read posts of the wires running under the grill along the sway bar. Anyone have pictues of how they ran the wires under the grill instead of through the grill? Pictures of how you ran them through the engine compartment.

wranglerWestLA 07-03-2010 11:43 AM

I just mounted my Winch yesterday.

As soon as I will reach 25 posts, I will be able to post pictures.

I think I did a good job with the wiring.
I will take pics today and post them later.

jdub36 07-03-2010 11:43 AM

I ran mine through the grill around the radiator and next to the air box up to the battery. I ran the wires in wire loom and wrapped them in electrical tape to keep them from getting cut. So far seems to work well for me.

jw

BlueFlame 07-03-2010 05:42 PM

Electrical tape won't save them, only adds a few extra hours of chafe prevention if that.
Get some hard plastic covering that's designed for wire protection, or at least use a piece of garden hose or something heavier than tape...

TeeJay00 07-03-2010 06:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Does this help??? I then connected the wires to the side terminals on the battery :)

I just took those pictures and it's pretty dark right now here... If you want more clear ones I can take them tomorrow at day time.

robncar 07-03-2010 06:40 PM

Yep, we ran through the grill but used split loom to protect the wires. If those wires short, it's not pretty... :thumbdown:

wushaw 07-03-2010 06:53 PM

I ran mine under in seperate looms, up inner fender to a 600amp cutoff switch mounted in ft. of airbox then on to the battery compartment.

Mousejockey 07-03-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay00 (Post 9731585)
Does this help??? I then connected the wires to the side terminals on the battery :)

The side terminals aren't connected as well as the top terminals. Optima will not warranty a battery if a winch was connected to the side terminals.

TeeJay00 07-03-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousejockey (Post 9731702)
The side terminals aren't connected as well as the top terminals. Optima will not warranty a battery if a winch was connected to the side terminals.

Well when you buy an optima used with no warranty it doesn't matter i guess :D

But will this effect my winch operation or anything? I have had it this way for almost two years now!

drummerchukb1 07-03-2010 08:28 PM

i have the 2.5l so it may be different, but i ran mine through the grille, farthest to the passenger side, through a hole created by the rad, and the grill/ fender. i used heat shrink tubing on it where the wires touch the rad frame, to help protect them. from there, straight to the battery. i suppose i might be able to get pics tomarow if you still need them

drummerchukb1 07-03-2010 08:31 PM

sorry, after re- reading the original question, my responce is usless :( :(

Knuckelhead 07-04-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay00 (Post 9731719)
But will this effect my winch operation or anything? I have had it this way for almost two years now!

Maybe, maybe not. When doing a hard pull, the connections inside the battery could melt...

jdub36 07-04-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFlame (Post 9731401)
Electrical tape won't save them, only adds a few extra hours of chafe prevention if that.
Get some hard plastic covering that's designed for wire protection, or at least use a piece of garden hose or something heavier than tape...

you are right that is why i ran them in wire loom, i just used the tape to keep the wire loom in place.

jw

The time now is 08:39 AM.