Winch bumper Battery box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Winch bumper Battery box

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
tjMtl
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Winch bumper Battery box

Looking into getting my first Jeep. One of my criteria is that it will be required to start at -40C after not being driven for a couple of weeks.

I have been researching dual battery setups, I like the option of being able to jump start myself if noone is around.

Also like the capacity of a nice Group 31 battery.

Have been looking at the ARB bumpers, and how I would not need a winch for the time being. ARB states that it will fit a Warn XD9000i on their bumper. Dimensions are 21.8x6.3x9.9"

A group 31 Deka is 13x6.75x9.375"

Has anyone ever made a battery box which would bolt in place of the winch, and if not please enlighten me as to why this is a stupid idea.

Thanks and please be gentle, it's my first Jeepforum post.

tjMtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If you are worried about the primary battery under the hood dieing in the cold, what is going to keep the second battery that you mount out in the elements from dieing?

I grabbed a C-TEK battery tender for when the Jeep is parked for long periods.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like a trickle charger and a DieHard Platinum is what you are after. A block heater also goes a long way towards getting a vehicle started in the cold.

I have two diesel box trucks that sit outside and occasionally will sit a long time in the cold between starts. A couple years ago, I combined the block heater with a trickle charger on the same plug. The heater is wired into a thermostatic switch so it only works below freezing. As long as my guys keep those trucks plugged in, they always start.
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I second what the above posters have said. Plus, they make a dual battery tray to fit where your stock one currently sits. I'd keep the battery under the hood and go with the dual setup, or just get a trickle charger (C-Tek is a great brand).
TJ-Tera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
tjMtl
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Trickle chargers and block heaters won't help me if the Jeep is parked at the airport for extended periods of time. I'd like to avoid Optima's as well, which is why I'm not interested in the Stacked optima setup.
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
tjMtl
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I use a Webasto Blue Heat on my Golf TDI, maybe that's what i need to look into.

It starts like summer time if I let the Webasto heat the coolant for 15 mins before cranking.
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjMtl View Post
Trickle chargers and block heaters won't help me if the Jeep is parked at the airport for extended periods of time. I'd like to avoid Optima's as well, which is why I'm not interested in the Stacked optima setup.
How long are you talking about it being parked there?
TJ-Tera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trickle chargers and block heaters won't help me if the Jeep is parked at the airport for extended periods of time...
Not having power available is kind of important for us to know...

Is parking your Jeep at the airport for weeks on end in the dead of winter a common occurrence for you?
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
tjMtl
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, sorry about that.

I like the Platinum recommendation, but they don't carry them in Canada if I'm not mistaken. Deka's look good as well.
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Consider Odyssey as well.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like the Platinum recommendation, but they don't carry them in Canada if I'm not mistaken...
They might be sold under a different name outside the US. Odyssey? If you search out enough DieHard threads you should be able to find the exact name/model. Jerry might immediately know.
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #12
tjMtl
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, it will be a common occurrence, it would be my vehicle when up north for work, would normally see it every second week but it could sometimes be three weeks between visits.
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's an old thread on DieHards and Odysseys with some interesting information.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ehard-Platinum
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #14
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Call the airport, they may have specific spots for long term parking with plugs.
Unread 01-28-2014, 03:54 AM   #15
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about that.

I like the Platinum recommendation, but they don't carry them in Canada if I'm not mistaken. Deka's look good as well.
You are right. I know the closest I can get one is at the Sears in Masena New York which is just south of Cornwall and you can get Odyssey but for that price go to Crappy Tire and pick up one of their portable chargers or get a CAA membership

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.