Will an XJ's cruise control work on my TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will an XJ's cruise control work on my TJ?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Will an XJ's cruise control work on my TJ?

I have searched all over this forum but couldn't find the answers...

My TJ is euro specs. It has no prewiring for cruise control but when I do the gauge test the cruise light works on the gauge cluster. I want to get the cruise control kit from JeepsAreUs but it costs $500+ so I need to know if it would work on my TJ or not?

And also I was just wondering if an XJ's cruise control (from the junkyards) would work on my TJ or not?

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
I have searched all over this forum but couldn't find the answers...

My TJ is euro specs. It has no prewiring for cruise control but when I do the gauge test the cruise light works on the gauge cluster. I want to get the cruise control kit from JeepsAreUs but it costs $500+ so I need to know if it would work on my TJ or not?

And also I was just wondering if an XJ's cruise control (from the junkyards) would work on my TJ or not?

Why not just buy a $20 hand throttle? Not exactly cruise control but it does the same thing.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have used my hand throttle as a cruise, the only technical issue with it is that once you start going uphill you still have to step on the accelerator. Other than that for 20 bucks it's a good solution, you just have to be careful using it.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well to be honest I have thought about the hand throttle but I don't know... Does it work well with automatics?? I won't be using it on any hills or so, I just wanted the cruise control for the very long drives!!!
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
richupnorth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The hand throttle is great for rock crawling. It presents a safety concern while on the highway. A panic situation hits and you not only hit the brake and turn the wheel but you also must stop the hand throttle. Think of Toyota stuck accelerator pedals.
richupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richupnorth View Post
The hand throttle is great for rock crawling. It presents a safety concern while on the highway. A panic situation hits and you not only hit the brake and turn the wheel but you also must stop the hand throttle. Think of Toyota stuck accelerator pedals.
Good point... I am going to stick with the factory control but since it's too expensive would a cruise control from another Jeep work??
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
MNakaChunks
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the audiovox CCS-100 aftermarket kit a few months ago. It works really well and is easy to install. It's about $85 on amazon, it's not currently available, but keep an eye out as it was unavailable for a while and then available before I got mine.

Amazon.com: Audiovox CCS100 Universal Vacuum Cruise Control:…

Helpful install instructions form another forum member here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cc...3/#post7724065
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNakaChunks View Post
I installed the audiovox CCS-100 aftermarket kit a few months ago. It works really well and is easy to install. It's about $85 on amazon, it's not currently available, but keep an eye out as it was unavailable for a while and then available before I got mine.

Amazon.com: Audiovox CCS100 Universal Vacuum Cruise Control:

Helpful install instructions form another forum member here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cc...3/#post7724065
Thanks this kit looks great and the reviews are good on it... But I'm going to go for the OEM though.

Now before I get that $500 new kit I need to give the XJ's cruise control a shot since I can pull it cheap off a '00-'01 XJ from a junkyard... Has anyone done this before?? Or do you know if it would work on TJ's???
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #9
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
Thanks this kit looks great and the reviews are good on it... But I'm going to go for the OEM though.

Now before I get that $500 new kit I need to give the XJ's cruise control a shot since I can pull it cheap off a '00-'01 XJ from a junkyard... Has anyone done this before?? Or do you know if it would work on TJ's???
This is just a shot in the dark but i would think its not as simple as pulling the XJ components. I believe the Cruise system ties into the computer as well. But again.... I could be wrong about this... If the junk yard option is pretty cheap Id say go for it and just try it out. If it works, make a writeup and share.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've decided to go for the TJ factory cruise control kit. But since it's $520 I would really like to get a technical advice if it would work or can be installed on a "euro specs" TJ ???!!!

Note: I have done the gauge test and the cruise control light is there and it works.

Help please !!!

Edit: the part number for the kit I found is 82204704.
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tags
xj , cherokee , tj , wrangler , cruise control , swap , fit , install

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.