Will not start and flashing CEL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will not start and flashing CEL

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits 2010-14 Jeep Wrangler Island Topper Black Rugged Ridge 1352007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Black Cargo Net (

Unread 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Lace
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Will not start and flashing CEL

Went to run to Advance earlier to pickup some tools to change the wife's plugs and the jeep wouldn't start. Lights, stereo, everything works. No click, nothing. So, I took the seven month old starter up to advance to have it tested and that was fine. Put it back on and tried again and nothing. I sat there for a minute and the CEL started flashing at me. Tried the 3 key turns to check the codes and all it said was "done"

From what I'm reading, it could be a misfire or clogged cat but everything I see people are saying the Jeep is running. I have had no issues before this and was just driving it yesterday. It's been extremely slow for a very long time, feeling like I'm driving a 4cyl on 44's but just attributed that to it being a Jeep and the 31's.

Any ideas here? I think it's almost time to get rid of her and move on.

Lace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Lace
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Checked it again. Turn the key and its solid for a few seconds, blinks about 12 times then turns solid again.
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Julesfools
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This happened to me in my 03 z71 while I was pulling a trailer in Del Rio, Tx (read nowhere). I noticed my exhaust wasn't really putting out much pressure out the tail pipe. I cut infront of my cat with a sawzall. The truck ran great except for a god awful exhaust noise exhaust noise all the way back home. TAP your cat with a hammer and see if you can here chunks or debris in it. I couldn't hear it in mine, but I have in one of our service trucks that had the same issue.

Just noticed your post said your jeep won't start anymore. Both of our trucks did start and run, very sluggish but ran.

Last edited by Julesfools; 01-08-2013 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Didn't read the initial post carefully
Julesfools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Lace
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesfools View Post
This happened to me in my 03 z71 while I was pulling a trailer in Del Rio, Tx (read nowhere). I noticed my exhaust wasn't really putting out much pressure out the tail pipe. I cut infront of my cat with a sawzall. The truck ran great except for a god awful exhaust noise exhaust noise all the way back home. TAP your cat with a hammer and see if you can here chunks or debris in it. I couldn't hear it in mine, but I have in one of our service trucks that had the same issue.

Just noticed your post said your jeep won't start anymore. Both of our trucks did start and run, very sluggish but ran.
Yeah, it not starting seems to be the main problem. When I looked up this issue, it seems others Jeeps/vehicles were running, just sluggish.
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A misfire or plugged cat won't cause the starter to not work. Have you tried jump starting the Jeep? Have you checked all your fuses in the fuse block and PDC? Have you tried swapping the starter and horn relays around? Have you thoroughly cleaned your battery cable connections at both ends of both cables?
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Lace
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
A misfire or plugged cat won't cause the starter to not work. Have you tried jump starting the Jeep? Have you checked all your fuses in the fuse block and PDC? Have you tried swapping the starter and horn relays around? Have you thoroughly cleaned your battery cable connections at both ends of both cables?
Have not tried jump starting it. The battery is fine. Just checked the fuses again and swapped the starter and horn relays with no luck. Battery connections are fine as are the ones to the starter.

Could this be the starter solenoid? Even though Advance Auto's test came back "Good"?

Edit-

Just tried to jump it with no luck.

Bypassed the starter solenoid and heard the starter spinning up, so I'm guessing that's the culprit.
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lace View Post
Have not tried jump starting it. The battery is fine. Just checked the fuses again and swapped the starter and horn relays with no luck. Battery connections are fine as are the ones to the starter.

Could this be the starter solenoid? Even though Advance Auto's test came back "Good"?
Before you tweak with anything else, try push starting it. I'll bet a dollar that it's your clutch safety switch...
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Lace
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Before you tweak with anything else, try push starting it. I'll bet a dollar that it's your clutch safety switch...
I tried putting a fuse in there (#10 is it behind the glove box?) to bypass it and that didn't help.

Made a test light and hooked it up as seen in the pic. Light did not light up. Hoping I'm doing something wrong.
starter.jpg  
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check to see if you're actually getting 12V to the starter.
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just use a voltmeter.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #11
mnewxcv
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Check to see if you're actually getting 12V to the starter.
he isnt. the starter isnt getting power. is the ignition cylinder ok? turn your key to acc and turn the radio on, then turn the key to start, the radio should turn off for as long as your holding it on start until you release it back to the run position. if it doesnt id say its that.
mnewxcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Lace
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Took the steering wheel console apart and found the ignition switch actuator pin was broken. Seems like it's quite a common problem. Just ordered one that should be here tomorrow.
ignition-actuator.jpg  
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lace View Post
Took the steering wheel console apart and found the ignition switch actuator pin was broken. Seems like it's quite a common problem. Just ordered one that should be here tomorrow.
Ouch. That'll do it. At least it's an easy fix, once you found it.
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Lace
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUsax View Post
Ouch. That'll do it. At least it's an easy fix, once you found it.
For sure. Just a pain to figure it out. First thought was the starter and spent half a day working on that.

Tags
cel , flashing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.