Will my Bestop still fit snug if it is removed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will my Bestop still fit snug if it is removed?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Yellowhammer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Will my Bestop still fit snug if it is removed?

My TJ had a brand new Bestop (Replace-A-Top, I think) when I bought it last December. It fits snug and there is no flopping or leaking, and it's very quiet. I've found a good deal on a factory hardtop and I'm considering buying it to run during the 4-5 months of cold weather.

Will my Bestop still perform this good if it is removed and replaced each year?

Would I be better off just taking care of my Bestop and not messing with a hardtop at this time since I don't really have an ideal place to store the top that I'm not using at the time?

Thanks in advance.

Yellowhammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It seems to me that the Bestop will actually be more snug if it doesn't stay stretched on your Jeep all the time. As far as storing the hard top, that is up to you. I originally wanted a hard top, but didn't really want to store it most of the year. The only time I wish I had a hardtop is when I have a long highway trip.

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
spdcat01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought dual tops when I bought mine as I thought I would need the hardtop for winter. Turned out I never used it. Soft top was perfectly fine. I too did not have good storage for the hard top which made it a complete hassle. Recently sold the hard top. Not sure about the Bestop top, but the OEM soft top when off for awhile shrinks up and becomes more snug. Have to try to get it warmed up a bit so it stretches better to get it back on.
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

x2-- it'll be tighter. i took mine off for a week and it was tighter
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Storing a soft top and parts is easy. It does not take up much room and pretty much is flat. It may fit under some beds. Your soft top will last a lot longer if you swtich it with a hard top for the winter
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
LARSONEM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a new replacement sail cloth top for my Jeep. I was amazed how compact it is when all folded up. I believe there would be no problem fitting it under a bed.
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
roketman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I also have the Bestop Replac-atop and it's a great replacement. I take the top off in May and don't reinstall until October. I fold it up and put bungee straps around it and stand it up in the garage. I had a hardtop but it took up too much room when I wasn't using it.
02 Yellow TJ Sport. The axles and transfer case are 2004 Rubicon with Solid diff covers. Rubicon Express 5.5 long arm with Rancho 9000 shocks. PSC hydraulic steering. Poison Spyder tube fenders rockers and crusher corners. Blue Torch Fab front stubby, winch plate, and rear bumper. ORF cage with Rockhard harness bar. Corbeau CR-1 seats with Corbeau 4 point harness. 35" Hankook MTs on Raceline Rock Monster beadlocks. Warn M800 winch.
roketman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Yellowhammer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help guys. I had thought about putting it under a bed.

I have decided to pass on the hardtop at this time because I couldn't get the guy to come down to my price, plus hardtop season is only a couple of months from being over.
Yellowhammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.