Will I hate life if I do this to my jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will I hate life if I do this to my jeep

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
scorpionkill
2008 JK Wrangler 

Will I hate life if I do this to my jeep

Jeep is a 1997 TJ I6 Automatic with 3.07 rear gears.

When I bought the jeep (used) it came with the 31's that are currently on the jeep. I went from driving a 1989 YJ with the 4 banger and 30's so the new jeep seemed alot peppier to me. It can get up and move on the highway and is plenty fast enough for me (I have my stang if I want to go faster). Again driving it like this is all I have known.

Last year I put a 3 inch Tereflex lift on the Jeep. Right now I seriously need new tires and have been thinking about 33X10.5 BFG AT's or MT's. Will 33X10.5s make enough of a difference over the 31X10.5s with the automatic tranny to make me hate life? I can live with some power loss but I don't want to regret going to 33X10.5's if it is too severe.

The 31's don't look that bad on my Jeep but I think it would just look better with a little bigger tire. Might just get new 31's.

I am interested in your thoughts especially if you have an auto with 3.07's and 33X10.5s.

Unread 07-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
BoHeck

yea you arent going to like it, i had 3.07 with 32s
1999 TJ 4.0 manual 4.88 on 35" Pro Comp Xtreme Muds/RE 4.5" lift 3.5" springs - RE mono shocks/Dana 44 locked with ARB - Alloy USA shafts/AA SYE Tom Wood's DS/AtoZ Fab Rockers/ 60" Hanson Prerunner Style Front Bumper/Jeeperman Rear Bumper Swing Away with Side Extensions/Bestop Sailcloth tinted/Roundeyes/Infinity Sound System
BoHeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoHeck
yea you arent going to like it, i had 3.07 with 32s
But you have a manual though. I have 3.07 and 31s right now with a 5 speed, and i don't think i'd hate it too much when i go to 32s (which I may do)
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
gmajor
2005 TJ Wrangler 

3.07's with 33's and an automatic sounds like a recipe for disaster.
gmajor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

33x10.5 should be about equal wieght to my 32x11.5 MT (in theory, dont quote me)...

My 32s with the auto still have plenty of get up and go on the roads (especially if you hammer down on the highway and let it shift into 2nd). Gas mileage is about 10 city, 15 highway (keeping at 60 or under).

On the trail is where it hurts, I with I had 3.73s or 4.10s on the trail, low range just isnt quite low enough....

Will that that said, if you want a wider look tire, I run 32s with about 4-4.5" of lift and love!
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
FifteenCents
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had 3.07s and 33 with a TF999, You can live with it. Your mileage will suck.
and you'll have trouble keeping up with traffic on steep long hills.

I did it for over a year, untill I upgraded to a D44 rear axle with 3.37s

http://www.tjhardcore.com
The ultimate TJ owners only forum
FifteenCents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
thedon986
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i had 33s with 3.07s and auto for about 6 months, my mileage was about 15 city. if you hammer the pedal there is enuf power. just regear to 4.10, i did and my mileage drop to around 13 to 14 city. with a huuuge increase in power. i can't spin them on the street but in low gears i feel more power than my friends 04 silverado v8
thedon986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw1942ford
I had 3.07s and 33 with a TF999, You can live with it. Your mileage will suck.
and you'll have trouble keeping up with traffic on steep long hills.

I did it for over a year, untill I upgraded to a D44 rear axle with 3.37s
Yeah driving in the mountain areas unless you hammer down on hills you will slow down... Hammer down to shift to second and you can speed up going up some steep grades... It has the power for the streets no problem...
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
IMYY4U
2008 JK Wrangler 

As stated before, to run those tires larger tires and still get your average mpg and keep your axle/differential gears from breaking, you should at least spend the extra money for a 3.73 gearing or if you really want to get a little extra torque, the 4.11 gearing.
IMYY4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
bluestj1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've had 33's and 3.07's w/ a 5speed for awhile and it sucked. I've got 4.10's I was going to install but after spending a little time on this site, I think 4.56's or 4.88's are in order. After the D44 swap, that is......
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
FifteenCents
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari
Yeah driving in the mountain areas unless you hammer down on hills you will slow down... Hammer down to shift to second and you can speed up going up some steep grades... It has the power for the streets no problem...
I used to manually shift my tranny down to second, And adjust the gas pedal to keep up with traffic. So I did not have to floor it to keep it in second.

I wish there was a way to keep my Torque Converter from locking up to get a little
more engine speed on long grades...

http://www.tjhardcore.com
The ultimate TJ owners only forum
FifteenCents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
scorpionkill
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
33x10.5 should be about equal wieght to my 32x11.5 MT (in theory, dont quote me)...

My 32s with the auto still have plenty of get up and go on the roads (especially if you hammer down on the highway and let it shift into 2nd). Gas mileage is about 10 city, 15 highway (keeping at 60 or under).

On the trail is where it hurts, I with I had 3.73s or 4.10s on the trail, low range just isnt quite low enough....

Will that that said, if you want a wider look tire, I run 32s with about 4-4.5" of lift and love!
I have flopped back and forth with wanting the 32's vs the 33's. I am leaning to the 33's because I can get them cheaper then the 32's and I like the fact that they won't stick out as much (better snow ice traction?)
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw1942ford
I used to manually shift my tranny down to second, And adjust the gas pedal to keep up with traffic. So I did not have to floor it to keep it in second.

I wish there was a way to keep my Torque Converter from locking up to get a little
more engine speed on long grades...
Yeah I do that as well, but lately I have been lazy and move over to the truck lane and end up at about 35 mph at the top of the hill
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #14
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionkill
I have flopped back and forth with wanting the 32's vs the 33's. I am leaning to the 33's because I can get them cheaper then the 32's and I like the fact that they won't stick out as much (better snow ice traction?)
Snow yes (although I dont have any problem, then again I hardly get snow on the shore). Ice, not going ot make a difference, ice is ice
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
scorpionkill
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Snow yes (although I dont have any problem, then again I hardly get snow on the shore). Ice, not going ot make a difference, ice is ice
Yeah as soon as I typed that I was like, that was stupid Ice is Ice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.