Will a bad 02 sensor not always throw a code? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will a bad 02 sensor not always throw a code?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
IAJack

Will a bad 02 sensor not always throw a code?

Does a 02 sensor have to throw a code to be bad or can it be way out of spec without sending one?

I can only find one on my 2K TJ. It is in front of the cat on the passenger side to the side of the tranny, are there others or is this one the one that would affect fuel mileage?

Unread 09-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The O2 sensor can be +-25% before throwing a code. The precat O2 is the one used for fueling.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Ford4Now

What makes you think that it is bad? Just out of curiosity....
Ford4Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
IAJack

My gas mileage has taken a steep dive? It isn't for sure yet as I have only just done a partial mileage calculation. Might be some crappy gas or whatever. I filled up the other day and only went 56 miles and my gas gauge went to 3/4 of a tank already. Could just be the gauge too as they are probably not all that accurate?
Unread 09-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Sparty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAJack
My gas mileage has taken a steep dive? It isn't for sure yet as I have only just done a partial mileage calculation. Might be some crappy gas or whatever. I filled up the other day and only went 56 miles and my gas gauge went to 3/4 of a tank already. Could just be the gauge too as they are probably not all that accurate?
when's the last time you've changed your plugs?
Unread 09-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
nisainmi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a 2000 a few weeks ago and had a similar problem. Only one key came with it and I wanted a spare. What I found out is this when it comes to the chipped keys.
1. You need two keys to self program, these can be purchased at e-bay and can include the programming proceedure.
2. If you do not have two keys, you will have to go to the dealer with the vin number to get started.
3. You might want to call the dealer and ask about the charge to program the new keys (purchased from e-bay or wherever) vs. buying the keys from them and then having them doing the program.
4. Like mentioned above, keep three keys incase you loose one.
Good luck and let us all know how it goes for.
nisainmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
IAJack

Changed the plugs last spring. I keep it as tuned as possible. I also run all synthetic fluids in it. Just turned over to 95K miles.
Unread 09-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
Ford4Now

I am having horrible gas mileage as well. Almost unbearable...thats why I asked. I do have 32" tires but I seem to only get 12-13 mpg. I just got the Jeep within the last few months and didn't expect it to be this bad so I was wondering if something was wrong with mine as well. I changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and ran fuel injector cleaner through it and still no improvement. Is it worth it to to try changing the o2 sensors?
Ford4Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
IAJack

I was averaging around 15-20 mpg depending. Usually more towards the higher end.

I have my 31" tires at 31psi too.
Unread 09-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
olonam1016

I get the same on my jeep. I'm one of those guys that pumps gas until it's to the fullest. It takes a while but after it stop for the first time, you could squeeze another 2 gallons. It's just time consuming. You'll see the full gauge wont move until you get 40 to 45 miles. I could get about 280 miles. My jeep has 3" BDS and 33 inch tires. My O2 sensor might be going bad as well to, this week i Could only get 230 miles.
olonam1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
Stamos
2002 WJ 

Yes, the 02 sensor can be bad and NOT throw a code. Recently I was having an issue with my 98 where it would bog, hesitate and miss at about 2500 to 4000 rpm . I changed plus, new cap, cleaned TB and checked reference on the TPS with zero results. While my throttle response was stellar, the issue was still there.

On a lark I unplugged the front 02 sensor and boom, issue solved. Obviously it threw a CEL once it was unplugged, but the rough run issue was solved. New 02 sensor and it's back to running great. It may have been that the 02 sensor wasn't outside the parameters enough to throw a CEL but bad enough to cause the issue.

Hope this helps.
Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.