will 285/75/16 fit at stock height - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > will 285/75/16 fit at stock height

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
bekahsjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

will 285/75/16 fit at stock height

We just picked up a set of 285/75/16 falken wild peak at02 tires on 1 6x8 KMC XD 122 Enduro wheels with a 4.5 back space. Looks like it would be close but before we add them I wanted to make sure I know on stock wheels they wont

bekahsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Hungus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Since your profile is empty, knowing what you intend to mount these on might be very helpful...
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara Edition #867
Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
bekahsjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungus View Post
Since your profile is empty, knowing what you intend to mount these on might be very helpful...
I'm sorry I figured since this was the tj forum that would be good enough. 98 tj with a 4.0 manual stock height on 235 15s.
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

They will rub the fenders. If you are intent on running them, you really ought to extend your bump stops 2.5 - 3" in order to limit the suspension, but that will leave you with very little up travel. It's a bad idea, even for the street.

FWIW, the largest size tire that properly fits on stock TJ suspension is a 31" and that can be pushing it under some circumstances.
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekahsjeep View Post
I'm sorry I figured since this was the tj forum that would be good enough. 98 tj with a 4.0 manual stock height on 235 15s.
what is your definition of "fit"? believe it or not, its different for a lot of people.

do you want the tires to look big while the Jeep is parked at the tire shop?

or do you want to be able to drive down the road/highway and hit normal bumps, navigate tight parking lots, etc?

some people just want stuff to "fit", others actually want stuff to "work".
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
bekahsjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
They will rub the fenders. If you are intent on running them, you really ought to extend your bump stops 2.5 - 3" in order to limit the suspension, but that will leave you with very little up travel. It's a bad idea, even for the street.

FWIW, the largest size tire that properly fits on stock TJ suspension is a 31" and that can be pushing it under some circumstances.
The plan is to put a rough country 3.25 on or possibly a 2 in bb. I have no desire to do a bl. I was just curious about running them for a little bit til the lift gets here next week. Does the 3.25 come with everything I need or do I need to worry about extending other things out?
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
bekahsjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

what is your definition of "fit"? believe it or not, its different for lots of people. some people just want stuff to "fit", others actually want stuff to "work".

do you want them to look cool while the Jeep is parked at the tire shop?

or do you want to be able to drive down the road/highway and hit bumps, go around corners, etc?
The question was can I run them at all on the street just til I can get the lift on. I know you cannot stock but these are spaced. I was just curious because I'd like to get them on thank you.
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wait until the lift. Minimum total lift for those tires is 3.25". That should maintain the stock up travel with minimal bump stop extension. Although, a full 4" of lift is considered preferable.

What axle gearing do you have? That also matters. 4.10 works with the 5 speed, but 4.56 is better.

Whatever you do, pay attention to Unlimited.
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The question was can I run them at all on the street just til I can get the lift on. I know you cannot stock but these are spaced. I was just curious because I'd like to get them on thank you.
those are 33" tires.

33's are fit in two common ways on TJ's:

1. 4" suspension lift, with 2" bumpstop extensions in front and 2-2.5" in the rear. Requires a SYE/CV shaft.
2. 2.5" suspension lift, with a 1.25" body lift, with 1-1.25" bumpstop extensions in front and 1.25-1.5" in the rear. The 1.25" BL usually accompanies a 1" Motor Mount Lift to offset some of the driveline angles.

Either way you go, figure on some or many of the following components: longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, gears, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, new shocks, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
bekahsjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

those are 33" tires.

33's are fit in two common ways on TJ's:

1. 4" suspension lift, with 2" bumpstop extensions in front and 2-2.5" in the rear. Requires a SYE/CV shaft.
2. 2.5" suspension lift, with a 1.25" body lift, with 1-1.25" bumpstop extensions in front and 1.25-1.5" in the rear. The 1.25" BL usually accompanies a 1" Motor Mount Lift to offset some of the driveline angles.

Either way you go, figure on some or many of the following components: longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, gears, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, new shocks, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.
really I thought they measured out to 32x11.25. What is the sye? Mainly this jeep is a dd with light off road on the farm.
Unread 08-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do Falkens run that small? 285/75r16 = 32.8 x 11.22" according to a tire size calculator and are commonly referred to as a 33" tire. However, my Duratracs of that same size are closer to 32.5" diameter according to my tape measure. Listed tire sizes are rarely accurate.

SYE stands for Slip Yoke Eliminator and is a modification to the NV231 transfer case to allow for a double cardan (aka CV) rear drive shaft which in turn allows for steeper drive shaft angles to the rear axle. This is needed for taller spring lifts, generally exceeding 3".

In short, there are many things to consider when installing an increasingly taller lift and an increasingly larger tire size. And it is advisable to pay attention to the actual numbers involved. The people worth listening to will never tell you run what you are specifically asking about. However, they will tell you what is needed to properly run a given tire size.
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
bekahsjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Do Falkens run that small? 285/75r16 = 32.8 x 11.22" according to a tire size calculator and are commonly referred to as a 33" tire. However, my Duratracs of that same size are closer to 32.5" diameter according to my tape measure. Listed tire sizes are rarely accurate.

SYE stands for Slip Yoke Eliminator and is a modification to the NV231 transfer case to allow for a double cardan (aka CV) rear drive shaft which in turn allows for steeper drive shaft angles to the rear axle. This is needed for taller spring lifts, generally exceeding 3".

In short, there are many things to consider when installing an increasingly taller lift and an increasingly larger tire size. And it is advisable to pay attention to the actual numbers involved. The people worth listening to will never tell you run what you are specifically asking about. However, they will tell you what is needed to properly run a given tire size.
I agree and I thank the veterans that learned all of this the hard way. I wanted to run this size to kinda avoid getting to extensive into it. I was going to go with 31s but I got this set up for half of new cost and it's only 3 months old so beggers can't be choosers lol. Alot of the mod budget goes into my husband's truck so I'm trying to do my own with the jeep lol.

So the rough country 3.25 will not be enough to work properly?
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
Letsride
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not to tread jack but what about 265 70 r18?
Letsride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So the rough country 3.25 will not be enough to work properly?
If it really provides 3.25", then you will be at the absolute bare minimum for a 32.5" tire. Actual lift height is based on the weight of the Jeep. FWIW, I am running 2” of spring plus 1.25" of body lift totaling 3.25" of total lift. These are real measurements, not advertised lift. Still, many will say it is too little for my tires.

You still need to consider your axle gearing. If it is too low for the larger tires, the Jeep will feel sluggish and won't do well on the highway.
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsride View Post
Not to tread jack but what about 265 70 r18?
What is the converted the size in inches?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.