Will 10.5" wide Tires rub w/ stock Grizzly Rims and 8.8 Axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will 10.5" wide Tires rub w/ stock Grizzly Rims and 8.8 Axle?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
TJeep_1999
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Will 10.5" wide Tires rub w/ stock Grizzly Rims and 8.8 Axle?

I am looking to re-gear my 3.07 D35. After pricing this out I thought I would look into the Ford 8.8 as an option. It's a bit more, but the main question I have now is will it work with my existing rims/tires?

I know the 8.8 is shorter:
Ford 8.8 WMS is 59 5/8 - Stock TJ is 60.5

I also know my 31x10.5R15's are already pretty close especially with the 5.5" Backspacing on a 15x7 rim.

I have seen a few threads where tires have rubbed on the upper rear spring perch and destroyed the tire.

Anyone running this set up now w/o issue? Thanks!

TJeep_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
liftedon37s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The ford axle is only I believe 5/8 narrower than the Dana 35. You could also take a tape measure and see how much too
You have between the tire and spring perch. You could get spacers or a super 88 kit which would make the 8.8 factory width. Instead of a new axle You could look into a super 35 alot of guys run those with success. "

If you don't plan on going 33 to 35's the ground clearance you loose with the 8.8 is killer. I drag my 8.8 on alot of rocks sitting on 33's.
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
TJeep_1999
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedon37s View Post
If you don't plan on going 33 to 35's the ground clearance you loose with the 8.8 is killer. I drag my 8.8 on alot of rocks sitting on 33's.
Not sure why I didn't think to ask about clearance... Thanks for the heads-up and the info!
TJeep_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.