Wife said "OK", but convinced that Lifting the TJ is opening a can of worms?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wife said "OK", but convinced that Lifting the TJ is opening a can of worms?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
JDurkin1234
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wife said "OK", but convinced that Lifting the TJ is opening a can of worms?!

Thanks for Reading.

I have a 00' TJ stock. I've been wanting that "real truck" look since I was a kid...finally got the clearance from the wife and have about 3500 to spend.

I thought I knew what I wanted (a big bad beefy truck that is tough to get up into and has that burly suspension look with some gigantic tires) and started looking into lift and wheel options...only to find that...if you replace this...you must repalce that..and so on...

Initially...I wa going for "just looks" but it became apparent quickly that looks alone = waste of $$$ and chepa products.

This truck will be on the road 90% of the time...but with the upgrades that I"m looking for...I know I will get this thing otr a lot more.

So here's my questions...like all other newbs posts I've read:

*I have 3500 and want to "do it right"
*I have a mechanic friend who is loaning his time and is excited to do the job
*I don't think going from 31's to 33's is worth the 3500 nor will make me happy
*I think 35's is where I need to be and I want the truck to sit high...ride well..LAST...and be capable
*I don't want a lift that needs to be "fixed" every month (can of worms)
*the RC short arm seemed great but I've read only bad things (ride wise)
*The long arm kit seems the best option (why did the price just go up 1500?)
*The sye and cv are a must (no problem)...but anything else I'll need
*is RC a quality name or is RE better (worth the larger price tag)
*It seems a kit with shocks is a 'no-no' so I have no problem buying others...but what

The deeper I get into this..I think I've found everything...and then read that it is garbage...the price tag keeps going up...I have to do this all in one crack (due to my friends schedule) and the wife won't take kindly to sporatic 1000 purchases.

I would rather come up with 5k or even 6k to do it right...but RIGHT seems impossible to find!?

Any thoughts?

JDurkin1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

First, a big welcome to Jeep Forum and a very Merry Christmas. I'd start this off for you after approving your first post but the wife just called me down for breakfast.

By the time I get back here later today, I'm betting you'll have a ton of good suggestions.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
JDurkin1234
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Merry X-Mas to all! Thanks for the welcome (didn't think anyone would be on here over the holidays)...sounds great. Looking forward to getting started.
JDurkin1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

Well I will be the first...

If you just do a simple lift and tire/wheel combo installed by anyone with a IQ higher than rock you should be fine.

I wouldn't go with RC as.....they suck. Everyone I know has had nothing but problems with their stuff.

If I were you Id probably go with some 33's. and a 4 inch lift. You dont necessarily need a long arm. If you buy something decent it will ride good like it should. Now If your looking for some flex then go with a long arm.

Just check out 4wheelparts.com

if you go with 35's your mileage will be affected more and you might want to change your ring and pinion if you go with them. Some people dont mind the stock ratio with 35's but others think different. 35's Aslo put more stress on the drivetrain and can cause broken driveline parts.

If your set on 35's and its a daily driver Id at least change the ratio's to something a little better.

If you dont go higher than 4 inches of suspension lift you wont have to get a SYE

What do you mean a kit with shocks is a no-no?
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDurkin1234 View Post
Merry X-Mas to all! Thanks for the welcome (didn't think anyone would be on here over the holidays)...sounds great. Looking forward to getting started.
Welcome JDurkin. Lol people are on here at all times. Its an addiction, I recommend you just delete your account so you aren't forced to spend every second of your day checking JF posts.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sell the 00 Tj, and use the 3500 to get into a TJ with 10k worth of mods for @ 10-12k.

Examples:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...ly-47k-927586/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...35-mtr-932442/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...angler-929590/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/2001-tj-928159/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...ed-35s-923245/

This way you can end up with stuff that you would not be able to get into without freaking out the wife; like gearing, lockers, winches, bumpers...

The economy is tough and guys are being forced to sell their prized rigs to pay bills and get by.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by rondak46; 12-25-2009 at 11:52 AM..
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
kiksroks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I only have one comment; $3500 to run 35's the way you want to do it is gonna be tough.

Low Output 4cyl Jeep Club Member #777
<><
kiksroks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Volacious
1999 TJ Wrangler 

*I have 3500 and want to "do it right"
DO IT RIGHT!

*I have a mechanic friend who is loaning his time and is excited to do the job
Make sure he does it right, and if i were you, try and do some yourself. It's a great learning adventure :-p

*I don't think going from 31's to 33's is worth the 3500 nor will make me happy
I have 33's and they do fine, but if you have the money, go 35's. Problem is, you probably won't :-(

*I think 35's is where I need to be and I want the truck to sit high...ride well..LAST...and be capable
If you want it to last on 35's, you will have to consider other things like chromoly axle shafts, Trac bar, Tie rod, stuff like that.

*I don't want a lift that needs to be "fixed" every month (can of worms)
Why did you buy a Jeep then? :-p

*the RC short arm seemed great but I've read only bad things (ride wise)
Ehh... That's what I have and I like the ride and quality of the springs and the 2.2 shocks... but you might want to look into better control arms if you go short arm

*The long arm kit seems the best option (why did the price just go up 1500?)
Long arm = Expensive, but very well worth it if you can afford it. NEVER go cheap with a long arm kit.

*The sye and cv are a must (no problem)...but anything else I'll need
Depends on how high you go.

*is RC a quality name or is RE better (worth the larger price tag)
Like I said, I like my kit, but if you can afford it go RE

*It seems a kit with shocks is a 'no-no' so I have no problem buying others...but what
Who told you that? If you go with RE, you won't have to worry.

Sorry for having to re-post, I hit the enter key by mistake.

This isn't very "in detail." If you want I can PM you with a bunch of stats

Last edited by Volacious; 12-25-2009 at 11:51 AM..
Volacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well first off do you want long or short arms? Both can be good if done right. The max i would do with short arms is a re 4.5". Thats a good setup to run 35's. Also you are going to want to look into gears and brakes if you want 35's. For the brakes eaither vanco or ebc yellow pads and centric rotors. For gears well that depends on the trans. What trans do you have? If it's going to be a mall crawler you could get away with out upgrading the steering as long as its all in good shape and tight. As for re vs rc they both have there + and - but i dont think you could go wrong with one of them. There are other good lifts like tnt and clayton but for a street jeep thats may be over kill. IMO
4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
EugeneTheTJ
You want some respect?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Fill in your profile!!

What axles/gears do you have?
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiksroks View Post
I only have one comment; $3500 to run 35's the way you want to do it is gonna be tough.
x2 maybe with a little more than 3500.
4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rough Country lift 4", JKS 1.25 Body Lift, TNT fender Flares, 35's, Brake upgrade, regear if you need too.

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

First thing I would do if I were you is check what rear axle you have, Dana 35 or Dana 44. I began with a 3" lift and 33s and my first unexpected upgrade was replacing the broken Dana 35 with a 44. I now am at 5 years later with 4" still on a short arm kit and 35" tires, pretty satisfied. but in the back of my mind I am still planning for a long arm install.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
BeerMe
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatocj View Post
If you dont go higher than 4 inches of suspension lift you wont have to get a SYE
That's up to god and the jeep. My 4" lift needed a SYE and a MML to get rid of the vibes. But I have a NV3550 and a D44 so my rear DS is pretty short.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Building for 33s is alot cheaper than 35s.

A good setup on 33s, that rides, flexes and looks good will run about 3500.

You will need about 1500 for wheels and tires. You can get a RE 3.5" lift for 1500 shipped. Then a SYE. If you have a dana 35 you will also need axleshafts.

You could use whatever you have left for a bumper and a cheap, Jerry Look away, smittybilt winch.

That will give you a badass look.

Read nevermondays write-up for 35s. You will need a bigger lift, tire prices go up a little. You need to look at regearring thats 1k alone iif you have a shop do it. Steering and brake upgrades, axleshaft upgrades, and a new rearend if you have the dana 35.

For the cost of doing 35s "right" you would be better off just going to 37s.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.