Wierd shifting question???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wierd shifting question????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
Gatormoots

Wierd shifting question????

I will try to explain as best i can. It just seems that when I shift into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th that there is not a nice smooth feeling, sorta like a little click or a mild mild grind feel just for a split second. I don't remember it before the 2"bb and 1" body lift plus a tc drop. I have adjusted my shifter so that works perfectly with the tc drop, also it doesn't happen every shift. So is this just normal or does something need to be adjusted. Any help would be great, I just want to make sure that I didn't screew something up.
Thanks

Gatormoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #2
Dragonmaster

kinda normal on an older transmission. If you haven't changed your tranny fluid in a while, some fresh fluid may solve it.
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2004, 03:50 PM   #3
MR.CLIFFORD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you can eliminate gear syncros by double clutching.

When you shift from 1st to 2nd just let the clutch out then press it in again to go into 2nd gear. If you don't grind then it is your syncros.
MR.CLIFFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
Gatormoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster
kinda normal on an older transmission. If you haven't changed your tranny fluid in a while, some fresh fluid may solve it.
The jeep is brand new?
Unread 06-27-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Dragonmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatormoots
The jeep is brand new?
Ouch, maybe your clutch fluid is low then???
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2004, 07:07 PM   #6
Gatormoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster
Ouch, maybe your clutch fluid is low then???
I checked that and it looked ok???
Unread 06-27-2004, 08:27 PM   #7
RC46VF

I have just bought a brand new jeep ( I haven't lifted it or anything) and I have a similar problem. Not so much a grinding though. Every time I shift up to 2nd, 3rd or 4th there seems to be a split second hesitation and a slight noise. I have tried varying my clutch/throttle usage and can get it to shift smooth but not often. I have noticed the clutch engagement is quite different compared to my brothers 2002. There are a few posts here describing similar problems and when my brother drove my jeep it was very obvious to him. I called the dealer and they said drive it a little longer and let the tranny break in some more. I don't know yet but I've got a feeling there will be a T.S.B for this within the year. Good luck. If ya find out what it is, lemme know. I actually have a post asking about this.

2004 Wrangler Sport
4.0L 5speed
Bright silver metallic
30" tire package ( I know, small )
3.73 gears Dana 44 rear
In other words bone stock, but its better stock than most vehicles fully loaded :)

"I'm drivin' the jeep while the bike gathers dust."

Last edited by RC46VF; 06-27-2004 at 10:36 PM..
RC46VF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
Gatormoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC46VF
I have just bought a brand new jeep ( I haven't lifted it or anything) and I have a similar problem. Not so much a grinding though. Every time I shift up to 2nd, 3rd or 4th there seems to be a split second hesitation and a slight noise. I have tried varying my clutch/throttle usage and can get it to shift smooth but not often. I have noticed the clutch engagement is quite different compared to my brothers 2002. There are a few posts here describing similar problems and when my brother drove my jeep it was very obvious to him. I called the dealer and they said drive it a little longer and let the tranny break in some more. I don't know yet but I've got a feeling there will be a T.S.B for this within the year. Good luck. If ya find out what it is, lemme know. I actually have a post asking about this.
That is exactly how it feels! Not really a grind but a hesitation and not perfectly smooth.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.