Why rebuild stock front drive shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why rebuild stock front drive shaft?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Why rebuild stock front drive shaft?

Less than a year ago my T-case had to be rebuilt. When I started poking around looking for a reason I found a small rip in the rubber boot of my front drive shaft. When I dug deeper I found those splines had jammed up. After allot of penetrating oil and beating the splines came loose. I also had taken a hard hit under the jeep and had broken a mount down there. Not sure which one of these, a combination of both or something entirely different lead to the destruction of my T-case.

I remove yoke every month or so and faithfully keep the splines lubricated and check things often to make sure drive shaft know moves as it should.

Very recently I heard a new sound coming from around the drive shaft and had vibes at very low speed. I thought I was the CV joint and planned on rebuilding it or just getting a new front drive shaft (because of some other concerns).

Last night after digging around I noticed more movement where the yoke goes into the drive shaft. I took the yoke off and noticed all the blue Teflon (or whatever crap) has completely worn off. I packed it with grease and but it back together. No more vibes or noise. This is a very temporary “fix” but it helped me to at least find my problem.

Is the coating wearing off a common problem with the stock drive shaft? Because of this is it really worth it to rebuild the CV in a stock shaft?
Less than a year ago my T-case had to be rebuilt. When I started poking around looking for a reason I found a small rip in the rubber boot of my front drive shaft. When I dug deeper I found those splines had jammed up. After allot of penetrating oil and beating the splines came loose. I also had taken a hard hit under the jeep and had broken a mount down there. Not sure which one of these, a combination of both or something entirely different lead to the destruction of my T-case.

I remove yoke every month or so and faithfully keep the splines lubricated and check things often to make sure drive shaft know moves as it should.

Very recently I heard a new sound coming from around the drive shaft and had vibes at very low speed. I thought I was the CV joint and planned on rebuilding it or just getting a new front drive shaft (because of some other concerns).

Last night after digging around I noticed more movement where the yoke goes into the drive shaft. I took the yoke off and noticed all the blue Teflon (or whatever crap) has completely worn off. I packed it with grease and but it back together. No more vibes or noise. This is a very temporary “fix” but it helped me to at least find my problem.

Is this a common problem with the stock drive shaft? Because of this is it really worth it to rebuild the CV in a stock shaft?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've redone a few shafts, and that blue stuff works great for maybe 100,000 miles, but, once it gets to the point where that slip siezes, you gotta pick all that stuff out. A utility knife works pretty good at getting it out of there. Then pack it with grease like you said. Problem is, that's not going to get you too far down the road before the grease works its way out of there and you have metal on metal there, then, it'll start to gall out, and that shaft is toast.
So, is it worth it to rebuilt the CV?
That's your call, I have a bunch of XJ front shafts in my basement, and use the CV parts from them, I even cut them down to make rear shafts. It takes about an hour or two to put one together with all the right tools. So, for me it's worth it, even if I'm only getting 10-20k out of the shaft, spending $25 for a junkyard shaft and a few hours rebuilding it is worth it over spending $300 for a new aftermarket one. I can't see putting the money out when I've done this to one:
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkdeuce View Post
i can't see putting the money out when i've done this to one:
strong work!!!
Hosejockey61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Call Tom Woods, get a replacement, quit worrying about it. Your grease fix won't last a week and it will all end up on everything under your Jeep. NO sense in rebuilding a stocker for what a replacement will cost.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My double cardan is a little crunchy unless rammed full of fresh grease.
My slip/splines are a little junked up.
My driveshaft needs a balance.

I'm in the same boat, and think I will go with a complete aftermarket shaft. I think that in 240,000 km my stock one is just beat. There's not much left to save at this point.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am think of going with Tom Woods after reading about it on Stu's page.

I had an older Currie drive shaft that had that Teflon crap and it jammed up, I am assuming Tom Wood drive shaft is one you can grease. As far as throwing grease around, that is just a little more rust protection.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
marka2k

2006 WK 

Front Shaft from TW is greasable, standard zerk on the front, and needle toward the TC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I am think of going with Tom Woods after reading about it on Stu's page.

I had an older Currie drive shaft that had that Teflon crap and it jammed up, I am assuming Tom Wood drive shaft is one you can grease. As far as throwing grease around, that is just a little more rust protection.

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Ground Pounder Fab Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
marka2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue when I got my TJ. the front shaft was too short and needed rebuilt.

by the time I did all that I was almost at the same price as buying a new one from Tatton (which I think was 230 shipped, but don't quote me on that).

been very pleased with their stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.