why oil and coolant are being used? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > why oil and coolant are being used?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRugged Ridge Deals at JeepHut.comRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
JustinBooth52
2006 TJ Wrangler 

why oil and coolant are being used?

the last time before last I changed my oil I notice some was missing. I had it changed the time before by a shop so I went back to my receipt to see what oil weight they used to see if that could explain why the oil was missing and I saw they only used 5qts instead of 6 so I assumed that's why it was low. never again will I take it to a shop. (I know I should have checked it so don't start please!) i replaced the oil with mobile one 10w-30 and went on and it was fine. when I changed it the next time it came up low again. so I stepped up to 15w-40 because I was told the heavier weight should help stop it if it was burning.

I just changed my oil again and I was over 1.5L low. this time I put full synthetic 10w-30 mobile one in it so I'm hoping it will help some as that was the best oil I have used when it comes to
losing less. I also noticed I am losing anti-freeze

my question is what are the possible loss points when it comes to oil and coolant..

please don't ramble on about what's oil is best and what weight is prime....

Unread 01-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Why are you using synthetic, do you think that may help stop the loss?

Oil can be burned by engine wear, or leak out through bad seal/gaskets!

Have you had a look underneath?

Edit, how long are you going, miles, between oil changes?
Unread 01-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How much anti freeze are you having to add, and how often?

Have you checked for leaks?
Unread 01-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A leaky head gasket would cause you to lose both without visibly leaking.

Verify you're not leaking either fluid externally.

You could also have something like:

A pin hole leak in the radiator that's burning off as steam, and bad rings which would burn oil without leaking.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
JustinBooth52
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have no external leaks at all.

also when I change my oil i top off the coolants resivor and the next time I change my oil it is just below the add line.

I go 6000 miles in between oil changes and I use full synthetic because that's what I prefer.
Unread 01-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
Karottop
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1) Do you see white smoke coming out of the tail pipe after you've been driving for more than 30 min? first 15 - 30 min you might see white smoke from condensation in the exhaust, after that it should be clear - could be a head gasket with a coolant port that has a small breached into the cylinder.

2) do you see blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe? could be a leaking piston ring

the head gasket will get worse if that's what it is, I'd drive it until its noticeable - keep an eye on your coolant temp. If you have a leaking piston ring then I'd just drive that until it gets more noticeable too. I hope its not either of these but if it is it'll show its head sooner rather than later if it is

Sometimes it helps to put clean cardboard under the jeep and leave it there a few days to see if anything turns up

Good luck!
Karottop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBooth52 View Post
I have no external leaks at all.

also when I change my oil i top off the coolants resivor and the next time I change my oil it is just below the add line.

I go 6000 miles in between oil changes and I use full synthetic because that's what I prefer.
I would check my oil at different intervals, every 1000-2000 miles or so. I have never gone 6000 on an oil change, or have I ever used synthetic. Just to see if the consumption is consistent, or gets worse as the oil gets older.

I do know that all engine will use or burn some oil over time.
Unread 01-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
JustinBooth52
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna
I would check my oil at different intervals, every 1000-2000 miles or so. I have never gone 6000 on an oil change, or have I ever used synthetic. Just to see if the consumption is consistent, or gets worse as the oil gets older. I do know that all engine will use or burn some oil over time.
I'll start checking more often for sure.
Unread 01-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
JustinBooth52
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karottop
1) Do you see white smoke coming out of the tail pipe after you've been driving for more than 30 min? first 15 - 30 min you might see white smoke from condensation in the exhaust, after that it should be clear - could be a head gasket with a coolant port that has a small breached into the cylinder. 2) do you see blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe? could be a leaking piston ring the head gasket will get worse if that's what it is, I'd drive it until its noticeable - keep an eye on your coolant temp. If you have a leaking piston ring then I'd just drive that until it gets more noticeable too. I hope its not either of these but if it is it'll show its head sooner rather than later if it is Sometimes it helps to put clean cardboard under the jeep and leave it there a few days to see if anything turns up Good luck!
1.)no white smoke after thirty minutes but in the first 30 there is white smoke.

2.) I have notice very faint darker smoke mixed in the the white but it's only in the first 30 minutes of start up.

I plan to wait as long as I can. it's not missing or running rough so it's not to bad yet. just trying to get a plan together for this summer
Unread 01-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #10
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

More frequent oil changes will help spot low oil condition.

Is your coolant recovery bottle filled right?

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

Three years in a row! KOH Mod Killer Build

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
JustinBooth52
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy
Is your coolant recovery bottle filled right?
yes. I top it off at each oil change and by the time the next oil change comes it is just below the add line.
Unread 01-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #12
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yes. I top it off at each oil change and by the time the next oil change comes it is just below the add line.
one thought, instead of adding more coolant each time, how about making a mark, say a small dot with a sharpie marker, at this "low point" and see if it goes below, that point. could be just that between hot/cold cycles, this is the happy point.
Unread 01-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #13
JustinBooth52
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna
one thought, instead of adding more coolant each time, how about making a mark, say a small dot with a sharpie marker, at this "low point" and see if it goes below, that point. could be just that between hot/cold cycles, this is the happy point.
could you elaborate some on why it would fluctuate and what the results would mean if it got below that dot or stayed at that dot
Unread 01-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #14
JonCorwin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Synthetic oil will leak faster than conventional oil. So If your problem is leaking oil (not burning necessarily) switching to conventional could cover up the problem a bit (though not solve it)
JonCorwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
Karottop
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
could you elaborate some on why it would fluctuate and what the results would mean if it got below that dot or stayed at that dot
When the coolant gets hot it expands, and shrinks when its cold. This results in higher and lower volumes respectively depending on temperature. Same reason your brake fluid reservoir has a line for hot and a line for cold
Karottop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.