Why not Skyjacker? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why not Skyjacker?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
RichardBailey

Why not Skyjacker?

It's a little late for me, I'm wrapping up the installation of a 4" Skyjacker lift, complete, shocks and all. I sense a very diplomatic avoidance to their product and was wondering why. Off road performance? Most of their fabbed parts seem to be of good quality, overall everything seems pretty decent. Haven't done any driving yet. Are the road manners terrible? Any and all feedback is welcome.
Thanks
BTW new to the Jeep thing, so no dumb answers

RichardBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have only personally known one person with a skyjacker lift. He loved it and never had any problems.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For the casual offroader, they're fine. It's only when you get onto the tougher trails where there are better choices. Hopefully you didn't choose their Skyjacker Nitro shocks which are notoriously stiff, Skyjacker's Hydro shocks are fine however.

The only real problems I have with Skyjacker are their pimp magazine advertisements. Talk about ghetto Jeeping with the red matching 20" wheels/low profile tires etc. I swear senior Skyjacker executives must drive lowered pimpmobile Jeeps with red bling wheels and red color matched fender flares and bumpers.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
BronYon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ah I always knew it Skyjackers were for posers!!! haha j/k. Yea I don't like the look of them. A sophomore at my school put a 4" one on his 2004 Wrangler X along with fake beadlocks... and the all out red lift doesn't help... haha tell me about it...
5 Speed White 01 TJ Sport, D30/D44 3.73 gears, 33/12.5/15 BFG All Terrains, Front Aussie locker Rear TruTrac, 4.5" RE Superflex, sye, Coast cv driveshaft, OME shocks, rear adj. track bar, Aem intake with throttle body spacer, FlowMaster 40 muffler with 2.5" pipes, Optima Red Top.

Next upgrades: body mounted sliders, engine skid, repaint door handles. (Then I hope I'm finished for a while!)
BronYon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
RichardBailey

Yeah, I gotta agree, their advertising is definetly missing the mark.
As far as shocks, went with the Hydros, seemed like a more subtle ride. We are in Southeast Fla, unfortunately no rugged trails on this sandbar. It'll be interesting, just installed 33" Nitto Mud Grapplers on 16 x 8 ARE Victors.
Thanks for the input, any more negatives?
Cheers,
Richard
Unread 04-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
azcoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
For the casual offroader, they're fine. It's only when you get onto the tougher trails where there are better choices. Hopefully you didn't choose their Skyjacker Nitro shocks which are notoriously stiff, Skyjacker's Hydro shocks are fine however.

The only real problems I have with Skyjacker are their pimp magazine advertisements. Talk about ghetto Jeeping with the red matching 20" wheels/low profile tires etc. I swear senior Skyjacker executives must drive lowered pimpmobile Jeeps with red bling wheels and red color matched fender flares and bumpers.
Why is it that seeing Jerry use the word "bling" just brought me so much joy and amusement....
Unread 04-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
blackout00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am running the hydros too and love them. Good for mild off road and nice highway ride!
blackout00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

personally i like skyjacker. i have wheeled their kits and with folks running their kits and have never had a problem. the kits are made well. i realize there are better kits out but you can take the pepsi challenge with any of them and the "bling" advertising is not going to falter their performance.

i may be somewhat bias. i know all the people up there personally. i can tell you what they drive if you like.
Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
Wynne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had the 4 inch on my Jeep for almost a year until it got flooded by Katrina. I never had a problem with it. It flexed well enough to run most the trails in South Mississippi (no rocks). I never had a complaint and even had a friend with the same lift and ran 35s on it for a few months. When I do it again I probably wont get it because I know there are better kits out there with more complete components. To each his own though. Just enjoy it no matter what others say.
Unread 04-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
alt13

about there shocks, i've got the nitro's and they are super stiff like it was said...i personally don't mind them, they do the trick, but i have gotten comments from passengers about the ride...i usually just grin and nod and aim for the bigger bumps!!
alt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
02blujpx

i have the basic 4" lift on my 02 for about 3.5 years now. i have replaced all the poly bushings twice. it does flex decent, but that was with 33" tires. i have a BL and 35"s now. the springs are alittle soft. I have never liked their adj. front track bar and the way it mounts. i have had numerous of problems with it becoming loose. i guess if I would have known then what i know now i would have gotten something else. but at the time thats what i could get and still afford my tires and gears. I am starting to replace the whole kit piece by piece and then long arms. for the weekend warrior its allright, just make sure to keep all the nuts and bolts torqued properly.
02blujpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #12
RichardBailey

Thanks for the replies. This is in an 05 Unlimited. It sounds like for what we are doing it should work, if not, E Bay........
Cheers,
Richard
Unread 04-25-2007, 05:37 AM   #13
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

are the heim joints on the SJ lifts greasable? If not, thats one reason I would stay away from them.. especially in Louisiana where the local trails are usually fairly riddled with mud holes. Nice to be able to pump the muck out with some fresh grease.. may help with squeeking and for sure premature wear.

That, and ever since owning products with poly bushings I avoid them like the plague. I hate me some poly bushings. Don't care who the manufacturer is.

Otherwise, run what ya brung...
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 05:37 AM   #14
skip97
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the 4 inch lift with the hydro shocks on my TJ and loved it.
skip97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #15
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

Itís a whole different lift but one of my CJs had a Skyjacker and it rode and performed very well...was even asked what it was a few times " wow this is a nice ride what are yer springs?" and than a really?? face . Never under stood the negative opinion of Skyjacker the one I had was an excellent kit...12 years ago anyway.
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.