Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD!

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 11-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #61
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable Jerry, is one or the the other better?

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #62
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know anything about the Spartan, sorry. I know the Aussie was designed to be a tad easier to install than the Lockright but past that, those two lockers operate the same way. I just don't know anything about the Spartan other than it is imported, likely from either India or China.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #63
JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

GREAT write up.
1993 Mercury Sable Wagon - R.I.P. 250k
JekL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #64
shotcake
2005 TJ Wrangler 

nice write up! Thanks. If I was to sum up the use on my Jeep I would say 90% road and 10%(summer days). How would front and back lockers affect my usual ride? Is this "rear end waggle" you mention something I would be forced to get used to and is it just a matter of time or a saftey issue that may cause a wreck?
shotcake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #65
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That rear-end waggle is a non-issue, it's so minor that I pretty much stopped noticing it... only my wife noticed it but then she complains about imaginary problems that I can't hear, feel, or detect... so let's just say she's sensitive to such things. Definitely not a safety issue, just a minor occasional trait of having an automatic locker in the rear of a Jeep. And the more you drive with it, the more you learn how to drive to minimize, if not completely eliminate, the minor quirks of a rear locker. The only time I would not want a rear automatic locker is if I had to drive on icy roads or icy trails very much.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #66
shotcake
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry my next add-on is a suspension system...do you have another listing that describes the complete suspension system with shocks and what the parts and terminalogy are like you did with lockers? Like why do I want a sway bar(just throwing out buzz words I see in the ads) I am think about either 2.5 lift Rancho complete suspension system with shocks RANR1039R9
or Skyjacker 2.5 inch Value Flex Lift Kit with Shocks by Skyjacker - TJ253K-SVX-N

It is about 3 hundred difference and is the bang worth the buck?
shotcake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #67
jeepdrivr99
2003 TJ Wrangler 

go w jerry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
You seem to be pretty knowledgeable Jerry, is one or the the other better?
not knowledgeable ,, jerry is a friggen jeep god... lol
jeepdrivr99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #68
Jack Straw
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great post! I knew the end effect of a 2wd vehicle being effectively 1wd in poor road conditions, however I never knew the full explanation why. Thanks.
Jack Straw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #69
agrasso5567

So a manual locker would be more ideal for a daily driver right? I think an LSD would be better to start until I hit more challenging trails but a locker in the front axle because I have the dana 35 in the rear? IDK I'm new to the jeep scene so I need to learn my stuff.

very helpful thread by the way, thanks a lot
agrasso5567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #70
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post

But in many Jeeps like the TJ, an automatic locker is fine when installed in the front axle. Since the front axle doesn't receive torque in 2wd, a front automatic locker unlocks easily enough for turns that you may not even notice its presence. Only in 4x4 is the front axle receiving torque which makes it harder for the locker to unlock for turns. About the only conditions where an automatic front locker would not be good in the type of 4x4 system a Wrangler TJ has would be on icy or snow-covered roads where you need 4x4. In 4x4, a front automatic locker would cause understeer (make the Jeep want to drive straight in a turn) which would not be good if the road was slick from snow or ice.

A manual locker is "open" (unlocked) until you actuate it. The ARB Air Locker and the cable-actuated Ox-Locker are examples of manual lockers. These are good because they remain unlocked until you choose to lock them. This eliminates the handling problems automatic lockers have on the streets.

By the way, a locker is installed inside the differential and it replaces the "spider" gears that make a differential work they way it does.

So some Jeepers add lockers in the rear, others add them to the front. I happen to think locking the rear axle first does the most good, but I have installed automatic lockers into both of my axles... which works pretty darned well. But if your rear axle is the notoriously weak Dana 35c that comes stock on all Wranglers except the Rubicon and Unlimited, avoid installing a locker in the rear axle and install it in the front axle instead. Since the front axle rarely receives more than 50% of the torque that the rear axle does, it can usually handle a locker without problem with reasonably sized tires. But if your rear axle is the optional and far stronger Dana 44, by all means install a locker into it if your trails are tough enough to make a locker desirable.

Hope this helps a little.
it sure did, makes me really want a front auto locker. im reading up on the aussue front lockers, seems low a low budget option that would improve my wheeling capabilities.

even though it snows here in ny alot in the winter, it gets plowed very quickly. so what your saying is that it will turn very much slower in 4wd if say on ice paventment ? is it unberiable/totally unsafe or just requires more safer/attentive driving ?

thanks.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #71
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltdWhiskey View Post
here's a good video that may help explain what's going on..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJY9SxDOTog

you may want to skip ahead to the 2.5 min mark ..thats' where the good stuff starts
after building a few high hp fwd cars, this vid made me feel like a noob all over agian haha.

great vid ! really shed some light on how a diff works wich i already new basics, but really shed light on how a locker wiether it be manual or automatic would work.

stratton.
Unread 10-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #72
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerinVA View Post
If it's a 4WD and you have a front selectable locker (the term "manual" is confusing, I think), put it in 4WD and just don't lock it, and you won't have these problems. You'll have the locker there when you want it -- if you get stuck -- and not there when it would make you nervous. If you have a front auto-locker, just don't put it in 4WD on snow. Or, do use 4WD but drive cautiously until you understand the autolocker's habits -- that's what most people do, and some folks report decent results.

I personally have not found side-slip from a selectable-locked front axle to be a major problem when cautiously driven at low speeds. I have not tried speeds above 15mph on slick mud or snow.

If you are looking for a way to travel fast over snow without side slip concerns, forget the locker, get this instead.
this thread rocks, thanks for your post. it shed all the light i needed on the situation.

seems like a front locker is in my future, excited !

stratton.
Unread 10-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #73
ElColo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow. That was probably the best thing I've read on any of these forums, and there is some good stuff out there. I'm surprised I never learned that break trick back in the day. That would have save us a lot of effort in a couple of situations. And being as I live in Idaho, where we drive on very icy river roads 4 months out of the year, I think I'll pass on all the LSD and lockers and stick to the stock setup for now. If I get stuck, I know where the brake is.

'Those jeeps. They sure are a funny animal.'
ElColo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #74
Renegade9040

image-2360571227.jpg

^^ what happens when you get swirly with a stock TJ and find out just how nice it woulda been to know the brake touch trick lol.
Renegade9040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #75
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How a differential works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw...feature=g-vrec
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.