Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #46
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
The braking trick is still used by the military. Does anybody know the actual name for the trick as I would like to read more about it and see if I can find a way to use 3 pedles with 2 feet.
It's called "Torque Biasing" or "Brake Biasing" it's taught for use in (only in the) HMMWVs due to the use of the Gleason Torsen differential in both front and rear diffs.

http://www.torsen.com/general/general_faq.htm

Unread 01-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #47
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I asked this in another thread, but didn't get any answer. I'm still curious:

I've been kind of wondering this about when the front differential is open, which side has the tendancy to get more power?

I remember on my old truck, it had an open differential in the rear, and when going forward it seemed like the passenger side (if I remember correctly) always got more power (peg-leg burnouts, haha!) and when going in reverse the, the opposite side would get more power.

Why is this? Is it because the rotation directon of the driveshaft puts more torque onto one side of the vehicle than the other? (like when dragrace cars pull up one wheel higher than the other when they launch, kind of "twist" the car a bit?)

Would an open front differential have a tendancy to put more power on one side than the other like this as well? If so, which side would it be? Just a curiosity, really.
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #48
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Read the sticky I wrote at the top of the general off road and equipment forum that discusses torque. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/4...nswers-130169/

No matter what the traction is like, an open differential and a limited slip differential always splits the torque 50:50. Before asking a lot of additional questions on what I just said, please do read that sticky first. It goes into a lot of detail on this very subject.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #49
brawler22
2008 JK Wrangler 

Great stuff Jerry,cleared up some questions i'd always had!!
brawler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #50
mitchrb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltdWhiskey View Post
here's a good video that may help explain what's going on..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJY9SxDOTog

you may want to skip ahead to the 2.5 min mark ..thats' where the good stuff starts

That's a pretty cool video. Now I know what to do with my old Tinker Toys.
mitchrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #51
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Read the sticky I wrote at the top of the general off road and equipment forum that discusses torque. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/4...nswers-130169/

No matter what the traction is like, an open differential and a limited slip differential always splits the torque 50:50. Before asking a lot of additional questions on what I just said, please do read that sticky first. It goes into a lot of detail on this very subject.
Nice write up! But I'm still a little confused as to why when in 1st gear going forward one side of the rear would always be the one to loose traction, and when in reverse the opposite tire would loose traction. I forget which side was wich (this was years ago) But I do remember that it switched depending on if i was in a forward gear, or reverse. This was a GMC Sierra pickup truck, with an open differential (or at least, I'm pretty sure it was open) Is it because the rotational motion of the driveshaft was shifting the weight of the truck a little bit towards one side, and then in reverse it shifts it the other way?
Unread 02-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #52
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Likely due to weight transfer and engine torque rolling the jeep body towards the right rear tire during hard acceleration. That places more weight onto the right rear tire which can unweight the left rear tire. There is a similar weight distribution shift but from the front to the rear during hard acceleration. Beyond that, the differential does truly split the torque 50:50 every time to the left and right wheels.

Unread 11-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #53
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I have a question that I cant find an exact answer for. For the foreseeable future, most of the wheeling I would do might be during hunting. Sometimes its dry, sometimes its snowy, and everything in between. I understand that a lunchbox type locker has negative affects on driving behavior on roads at speed, but how do they act when off road in the varying conditions mentioned. Also the top speed probably isn't above 20mph. Are the affects less prominent, or are they the same as on road?

Edit: I want to clarify that I'm thinking about putting one in the front diff

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #54
Kinless
2012 JK Wrangler 

I guess I am surprised by how many didnt know about braking for traction. I uaed to wheel a jeep woth a full spool in the rear and arb in the front. The current jeep is open in the front and if it has a limited slip in the rear its dead. I have been learning all kinds of basics all over again. Use of brakes for traction has been pretty common.
Kinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #55
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigphish View Post
any tips for manual tranny's.

I tried doing this with my jeep when i was in some dirt with some spinning wheels but it was too easy to stall trying to negotiate all three peddles.
Does your parking brake work?.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #56
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
I have a question that I cant find an exact answer for. For the foreseeable future, most of the wheeling I would do might be during hunting. Sometimes its dry, sometimes its snowy, and everything in between. I understand that a lunchbox type locker has negative affects on driving behavior on roads at speed, but how do they act when off road in the varying conditions mentioned. Also the top speed probably isn't above 20mph. Are the affects less prominent, or are they the same as on road?

Edit: I want to clarify that I'm thinking about putting one in the front diff
Offroad, a front locker is unnoticeable 99% of the time. They can slightly increase your turning radius on a very tight turn but that's about it.

Does your CJ have manual or fixed hubs?

Unread 11-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #57
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Offroad, a front locker is unnoticeable 99% of the time. They can slightly increase your turning radius on a very tight turn but that's about it.

Does your CJ have manual or fixed hubs?
I have the manual hubs on it. So offroad the tendency for the locker to slide on off camber roads really doesnt apply?

Jered
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #58
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your CJ is different from a TJ so what applies to a CJ doesn't necessarily apply to a TJ. With your CJ's manual hubs, you can make the front locker a non-event when on the paved highway by disconnecting the hubs. Same with a locker's tendency to cause the axle it's installed in to tend to slide down torwards the low-side of an offcamber trail... unlock your hubs and the issue goes away with a front locker. With a TJ, all you need to eliminate either problem with a front-mounted locker is to simply shift back into 2wd.

Unread 11-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #59
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I appreciate your comments Jerry, I think I'm gonna order myself a locker, and see how I like it! I cant find the Aussie anywhere, so that puts it between the lockright, or the Spartan. Leaning towards the Spartan since it includes the hardened cross pin

Jered
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #60
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Lockright includes the hardened cross pin too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.