Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD!

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 11-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #31
SunNuclear
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Another thing to consider is this, when I had my 98 Z71 I put an ARB in the rear axle removing my limited slip diff. This was great off road but on road in the rain it sucked because it was now a one wheel wonder unless you had the diff locked. It was hard to take off from a light on wet tar without peeling out, when I had the stock limited slip in it was way better in that situation. So now my choice was to take off slow or keep locking and unlocking the diff.

Unread 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #32
ticotj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the helpful info. We need more topics like this.
ticotj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #33
Marholmes44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So after reading this in theory you can have a 2WD put manually lockers in it and be the same thing as 4WD correct?
Marholmes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #34
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marholmes44 View Post
So after reading this in theory you can have a 2WD put manually lockers in it and be the same thing as 4WD correct?
well...........the front won't be spinning, just both rear.
2004 TJ SE 2.4L 5-speed. 2.5" Rough Country Lift, 1.25" Rough Country BL, Rough Country Stinger, Rough Country Rocker Rails, 9,500LB Vortex Winch ($200 off eBay), 4' FireStik, CB, Dana 30/35 4.10's, front Aussie Locker. 33x12.50x15 Dakota A/T on 15" Canyons painted black, 1.5" wheel spacers. Remote Start. MCE Flatty Fenders. All work done by me, with some help from my friends.

Videos: www.youtube.com/bwfbezerk
Pics: www.facebook.com/bwfbezerk
Xbox: BWFBezerk
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #35
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marholmes44 View Post
Try reading again. You're way off.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #36
heethern
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is an awesome thread. Helped me out a lot. Thanks man!
heethern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #37
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Very good thread, I now understand why on a stock Jeep all 4 tires do not spin with 4 wheel drive.

The breaking trick is still used by the military. Does anybody know the actual name for the trick as I would like to read more about it and see if I can find a way to use 3 pedles with 2 feet.
baritone_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #38
rujji8
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
it can usually handle a locker without problem with reasonably sized tires.
dose thirty threes fall into that category? After reading your write up I have chosen to just install lockers. And do you think a Dana 35 rear handle a manuel locker or is it still not a good idea
rujji8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #39
rujji8
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
it can usually handle a locker without problem with reasonably sized tires.
dose thirty threes fall into that category? After reading your write up I have chosen to just install lockers. And do you think a Dana 35 rear handle a manuel locker or is it still not a good idea
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #40
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
Very good thread, I now understand why on a stock Jeep all 4 tires do not spin with 4 wheel drive.

The breaking trick is still used by the military. Does anybody know the actual name for the trick as I would like to read more about it and see if I can find a way to use 3 pedles with 2 feet.
Hand throttle
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #41
rujji8
2011 JK Wrangler 

cuz you said lockers are good with reasonable tire size.dose thirty threes fall into that category? After reading your write up I have chosen to just install lockers. And do you think a Dana 35 rear handle a manuel locker or is it still not a good idea
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #42
zjwn2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have actually been really impressed on what I have been able to get through in just 2wd just by using the hand brake to help the stock LSD get power to the wheel with the traction. I was thinking of adding a locker to the front axle but in reading this I am a little confused in that if you do alot of driving in the snow/ice you do not want a front locker but would prefer a LSD instead or some type of manual locker?
zjwn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #43
kenmal
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjwn2 View Post
I have actually been really impressed on what I have been able to get through in just 2wd just by using the hand brake to help the stock LSD get power to the wheel with the traction. I was thinking of adding a locker to the front axle but in reading this I am a little confused in that if you do alot of driving in the snow/ice you do not want a front locker but would prefer a LSD instead or some type of manual locker?
Yes little confused on this too.
kenmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #44
MeltdWhiskey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

here's a good video that may help explain what's going on..

you may want to skip ahead to the 2.5 min mark ..thats' where the good stuff starts
MeltdWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #45
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marholmes44
Someone said your are way off. Actually, you're not so far off. A 4WD with open differentials will, in slippery conditions, only have two tires that really spin with power (one front, one rear). A 2WD with a locked differential in the powered axle will also have two tires that really spin with power (both rear, assuming you're rear wheel drive). A 4WD is always more versatile, generally safer at speed, and usually otherwise better (long list of reasons), but a locked 2WD isn't a crazy alternative for many run of the mill uses. A locked 2WD can be a pretty capable vehicle. Locking a 2WD vehicle is also generally cheaper than getting a 4WD option, for example in a Ford Ranger pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjwn2 View Post
When the axle is locked, it spins the wheels together at exactly the same speed, which causes lateral stability to decrease greatly -- you tend to slide sideways on snow (particularly, sideways down a hill or cambered street surface). If the wheels spin together but not at the same speed -- as can occur with an LSD -- lateral stability will improve. I say "can" because LSDs vary in their habits and you might find that they cost you some lateral stability. Sometimes an LSD will spin the wheels at exactly the same speed, sometimes not.

If it's a 4WD and you have a front selectable locker (the term "manual" is confusing, I think), put it in 4WD and just don't lock it, and you won't have these problems. You'll have the locker there when you want it -- if you get stuck -- and not there when it would make you nervous. If you have a front auto-locker, just don't put it in 4WD on snow. Or, do use 4WD but drive cautiously until you understand the autolocker's habits -- that's what most people do, and some folks report decent results.

I personally have not found side-slip from a selectable-locked front axle to be a major problem when cautiously driven at low speeds. I have not tried speeds above 15mph on slick mud or snow.

If you are looking for a way to travel fast over snow without side slip concerns, forget the locker, get this instead.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.