Who's installed LED's / LED Question?!?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Who's installed LED's / LED Question?!?!?!

IRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 01-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #1
FtDavisJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Who's installed LED's / LED Question?!?!?!

I'm looking at putting Red S/T/T LEDs in the back of the Jeep as well as my reverse lights. Do I need to install an Anti-Flicker module in-line for the S/T/T LEDS or will just changing the Flasher to a EP-26 LED be fine and fix any possible problems? Also do I need to put anything in-line for the White reverse LED lights, they will be separate from the Reds.

And then I plan on putting in some LED Headlights in and am also wondering if I would have to install something as well with them such as the Anti-Flicker Module or an in-line resistor or what?

Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated. I hate to buy any of this stuff install it and then two weeks later blow them, effectively blowing my money and time.

Thanks again Guys!!!

Unread 01-25-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You will not need to do anything for your reverse bulbs.
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Only thing you'll need is the new flasher.
Unread 01-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The flicker issue is a JK problem.
Unread 01-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #5
FtDavisJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So just on the Stop, Turn, Tail portion just the new flasher. What about head lights? If I install LED headlights will I need anything additional? From looking around it seems that the JKs need something like the Anti-Flicker thing but I haven't found anything for the TJ except stuff off of ebay and I don't trust that stuff. They'll say you need it or that its required but in reality it's all B.S. . They're just trying to sell you crap.
Unread 01-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used a thread on pirate
My 01 Tj has all leds in turn signals and brakes lights... Needs resistors and diodes wired in line to work right. Led headlamps and truck lite and are plug and play. Used gen right led flasher.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:48 AM   #7
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtDavisJeep View Post
So just on the Stop, Turn, Tail portion just the new flasher. What about head lights? If I install LED headlights will I need anything additional? From looking around it seems that the JKs need something like the Anti-Flicker thing but I haven't found anything for the TJ except stuff off of ebay and I don't trust that stuff. They'll say you need it or that its required but in reality it's all B.S. . They're just trying to sell you crap.
Headlight flicker with LED headlights is JK only. Truck Like, Quadratec, Peterson, Speaker, Sylvania etc headlight are pluf and play.

You can't generalize ebay. I buy tons of stuff off ebay. The best price on Truck Lites is ebay.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 04:06 AM   #8
FtDavisJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No, no I'm not generalizing ebay as a whole. There's some great folks on there, but there is a lot of them on there that are like that and It's hard to wade through all the "stuff" just to find the good folks. And the ones that claim they're the real deal, it's hurts the others when your trying to find quality products without the BS.
Unread Today, 04:10 AM   #9
FtDavisJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
Needs resistors and diodes wired in line to work right. Led headlamps and truck lite and are plug and play. Used gen right led flasher.
Ok so for example on a set of white reverse LED's you need to put resistors and diodes wired in-line. Is this also required for the red Brake, Turn, Tail light? Also what resistors and diodes do you use? Do you happen to have that thread from the other forum?
Unread Today, 05:17 AM   #10
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Ok so for example on a set of white reverse LED's you need to put resistors and diodes wired in-line. Is this also required for the red Brake, Turn, Tail light? Also what resistors and diodes do you use? Do you happen to have that thread from the other forum?
No the only time those are needed is if you are replacing all turn signal bulbs and even then you only need them on the front. I have LED reverse, rear lights, and front side marker. I didn't use any resistors or diodes but left the original front turn signal bulbs and just tucked them behind the headlights since I plan on doing JK lenses in the grille.
Unread Today, 06:15 AM   #11
runninbare

When I installed my max-bilt trail taillights and tube fenders with led lights in my 98 TJ I just removed the flasher from under the dash, took the cover off, put a cut in the circuit board, installed the cover and put the flasher back in...no resisters, diodes or anything else. I've heard you may need a diode if you still use your third brake light (which I removed) but I can't confirm that.
runninbare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 06:17 AM   #12
FtDavisJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I'm replacing my tail lights with LEDs and putting in some new reverse LEDs and license plate LED lights, but I'm not touching anything up front as far as turn/running lights go. I install the new LED EP-26 Flasher and don't need anything extra like the resistors or diodes. But if I replace my front turn single lights with LEDs, then I'd need an in-line diode, resistor on the front turn lights only... Do I have that right festerw?
Unread Today, 06:31 AM   #13
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I'm replacing my tail lights with LEDs and putting in some new reverse LEDs and license plate LED lights, but I'm not touching anything up front as far as turn/running lights go. I install the new LED EP-26 Flasher and don't need anything extra like the resistors or diodes. But if I replace my front turn single lights with LEDs, then I'd need an in-line diode, resistor on the front turn lights only... Do I have that right festerw?
Yes sir you have that correct.
Unread Today, 06:37 AM   #14
FtDavisJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you festerw, I appreciate your help. And Thank you to everyone else.
Unread Today, 06:47 AM   #15
Loomie
I got this!

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed these...

http://www.maxxima.com/products/prod...T-Back-Up.html

Supper easy to install! I had to add a ground (but that might just be a yj thing) and a EL-12 flasher

they are very bright!
Loomie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.