Who has over 17 mpg w4.0L??? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Who has over 17 mpg w4.0L???

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-06-2005, 02:56 AM   #61
PDX_XJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have no idea how many miles per gallon I get. I'm afraid the result will be more like gallons per mile.

Unread 05-06-2005, 05:03 AM   #62
Red J
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I average 16 mpg on a tank, most of which is not on the highway.
2" Skyjacker Lift with Hydro shocks
Smittybuilt Tube Bumpers and Sides
Life is Good!
Red J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 05:14 AM   #63
Paul04TJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Since I got it new in Setember, I've been getting about 17.5 hwy.
I do a lot of trips for work. Recently, I read about speed and mileage. So on my last trip, I ran a fairly consistent 65mph, instead of my normal 75-80mph.
I also ran 34lbs of air in the tires, and had just changed the oil. My bad I bought
5w-30 instead of 10w-30, but being still a bit cold out I figured I'll be good till I change it again.

Anyways that being told, My last trip 3 tanks of gas, and I got 20.3 20.1 and 19.3.
(The trip home I was doing over 70 most of the time.
Red Jeep Club Member # 269
'04 Wrangler 'X'
Paul04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 05:18 AM   #64
Alec

HWY miles .... yes .... 31's 10.5 15 @ 25 psi 3.55 gearing (1997)

[CENTER]
Powertrain envy sufferer - Softop tinkerer [/CENTER]
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 05:19 AM   #65
ACEMAN

I average about 12 mpg as I have a heavy foot.
My 9200lb powerstroke diesel van gets 19 mpg all day on the highway and 16 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer.
Looks like I may flat tow my jeep when driving long distances for off road trips to save on gas.
RE 5.5" LA ,1"body/eng.lift,Banks header/exh.,37" Iroks,5:13's, Road Armor Bumpers,Warn 9.5 ti,Currie Anti Rock,TBT X over steering, Claytons Kits,MT Classic Locks,B&M shifter,USA Alloy axles front/rear,CTM's,Kilby gas tank skid, RE hand throttle.
Future Mods:Custom tri-link,rollcage,tube fenders.

00 Ford E-350 PSD Van
Dana 80 w/arb,BTS tranny,Propane,TS chip,4" exhaust,Bilstein shocks,Billet Air intakes,Centerline rims,Road Armor front bumper,Warn M15000 winch,custom tribal flame job.
[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/aceman116][color=blue]PHOTOS[/color][/url]
ACEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #66
paroxysym
2007 WK 

last tank of gas i got 18.7 mpg. i did mostly if not all city driving, the key to getting that high is keeping your foot out of it and do the speed limit. if necessary go over the speed limit 5 mph. im telling you it works...
Unread 05-06-2005, 07:13 AM   #67
ITjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i get between 15 and 19 i have been keeping track since i bought my jeep last summer...its a 2000 Sahara auto...and stock. i drive 28 miles round trip to work 5 days a week at 60mph...last trip to the pump the average was 17.2
ITjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 07:24 AM   #68
thebulkinator

I got an easy 18mpg in 90* weather with myself and two other 180lb guys and all their ***** driving back from NC last summer on stock 30's with 3.73 gearing...that was doing about 80-90mph also . Now in city with my 31's I get about 15-6 sometimes and the occassional 14mpg . With 33's and 4.56's I dont expect much better hehe .
thebulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 07:32 AM   #69
JTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

about 12 freeway
JTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #70
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

People may not believe me, but I got about 18.5 on my trip to Paragon... most of the time going 70-80mph. That's with a moderate load of camping gear in the rear and my winch on the front. It's also body lifted. Other than that, it's stock.

Normal driving to and from work I get 15-16.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 09:44 AM   #71
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For some unknown reason, my mileage recently went up from an average of 12.5 to 14.5. I dunno why it did but I haven't seen 14.5 mpg in years, woo hoo!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #72
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If I don't drive with a heavy foot I can get around 18. I used to get around 20 with the hard top and 30" tires with no lift. I think if I put the heavy foot back on it would go back down easily to 13-14. It's all in how you drive I think. The higher in the air it goes the lower mpg you get also. Just forget checking it when the top is down. It sucks.

My $.02

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #73
JeepTales
2007 JK Wrangler 

Me too

I have a 2003 Rubicon Automatic.

K&N Filter 3"1/2 Rubicon Express lift and 285 MTRs.

14.65 City and 16.25 HWY

20,200 miles on it so far.

Just gave up my Demo in a Jeep Dealership so now it is a daily driver too.

Greg Machado
Jeep Tales Founder
greg@jeeptales.com
www.JeepTales.com
JeepTales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 10:01 AM   #74
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
For some unknown reason, my mileage recently went up from an average of 12.5 to 14.5. I dunno why it did but I haven't seen 14.5 mpg in years, woo hoo!
You too?!? My normal being around 11.5-13.5, my last two were 16.2 and 14.3. Weird...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #75
fergyfer

My 87 yj got around 20 most of the time, sometimes better, with average highway driving. I live in the country and mostly rural roads and small towns so I consider it to be highway 60-70 mph driving. My 99 gets around 18.2 with the same type driving. That's without calculating for the 31's I have on it. I've not changed the speedo gear. However, having larger tires does not inflate the figures to the positive side (when not changing the speedo gear) but the oposite. For instance, if I travel 250 miles according to my odometer, I have actually traveled 257.5 miles. It is an insignificant amount of difference as the mileage for that tank of gas instead of being 17.85 mpg would be 18.39 mpg, not a big change. But if you are running 33's or better, without changing your speedo gear, your mileage might be significantly better than you are calculating, unless you are taking into consideration the actual miles traveled, and not what your trip meter is telling you.
I borrowed a calculator from a web page by Mark Medina and posted it on my site. http://www.281.com/fergy/calculators.html His original page works fine, but the table is too narrow making the cells not line up, so I stole his code and widened the table for speedometer calculation so the cells are in the right place. It also has calculators for tire size conversion from metric to inches and others.

I think the lighter yj's might be the reason for the better mileage, but you would think that the fuel injection would make up for it. My 87 had a carb. My 90 suburban with a fuel injected 350, loaded with my whole family of 5 with all our luggage for a 14 day tour through Colorado, got 18 average on that trip, with lots of mountain driving!

Having larger tires certainly makes your mileage go down, but calculating your actual mileage driven might pick up your numbers just a bit.
[URL=http://www.281.com/fergy/jeep/]My Jeep[/URL]
fergyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gas mileage , mpg , tj , wrangler , 4.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.