Who has over 17 mpg w4.0L??? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Who has over 17 mpg w4.0L???

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-16-2004, 09:38 PM   #46
MitchT

I just got back from a camping trip in SW MN.
250 miles one way.
I got about 13 to 15 MPG going out against the wind.
15 to 17 heading back.
Thats after the below mods on the Jeep.
I have no idea what it was before the mods.

Outlaw I rims.

Work in progress.
MitchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 03:14 AM   #47
McNiffty

I usually get about 18 to 19, with the occasional 20.1 in there. I too am very religious about the milage and gas, but never pay too close attention to the station. For one week I was able to get 22.8. I checked it three times, because I though it was wrong, but it still came out to the same number.

Only thing I did differently was stay out of the pedal on the freeway. Other then that, it was the same as any other week.
McNiffty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #48
K-9 SAR

Reading most of the post of the high mpg guys and gals all seem to be running manual transmissions. Auto's, like mine seem to be lower. I've got the 3-speed auto with no overdrive.
Oh well, its still a Jeep and get a big grin every time I get in her!!! Still beats my F250 with the 460.
[B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 #28[/B]

2002 Sport,[COLOR=black]Black[/COLOR]
K&N
Stupid Lab in passenger seat

Support your local Search and Rescue teams,.....Get Lost!
K-9 SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #49
SirGCal

2k TJ, 4l, 5-speed, D44, rest in sig..

Best mileage to date was 16.5 highway. Worst was 11.5. These are tanks that never went off-road (as that would throw off the rating.) My average is 13.5-14.5 usually checked with GPS totals.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 10:35 AM   #50
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
That is why I though out the B.S. flag. I don't know anyone that really gets better than 15. My division must be different than everyone else's or their calculaters are screwed up. I might get 15 on a good day.
It's really much simplier than division and calculators. Us folk with 5-speeds have an overdrive gear. You don't.

Careful what you do with that flag.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #51
Down&Dirty

Well ha, I get 7-9 mpg. Depends on what I had to eat and if I went to the bathroom before starting my drive. I haven't broken 10 in so long I wouldn't know what to do. Now I don't even count anymore. I just tell myself that I get good gas mileage. It is working, I almost believe myself. I mean 9 mpg isn't too bad. Helps me support terrorism (according to the SUV hating media) and our troops overseas.

'80 CJ-5, full width, 3 link front, 1/4 elliptical rear, 38's, and propane.
Down&Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #52
thrillofspeed

My 97 TJ 4.0 five speed is stock with the 30" tires. On the highway (around 70-75) with the top on I regularly get 18.5, with the top off I drive slower and get 19.5
Unread 08-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #53
brlowe1965

Well after reading all of these I have decided my 2.5 really sucks. My jeep is bone stock with 235 tires on it which I think are about 28 or 29". It is a 98 with 5spd. I get about 190 miles per tank and my mileage is right around 17-18. I have seen 19 maybe once. I'm rebuilding my 4.0 drive train to drop in it this year and hope not to loose to much on the MPG.

I wonder if some of the difference we are seeing in mpg is because people are running around with a speedo that is out of cal. I have checked mine with my GPS many times and it is within 1 mph at 65. By the way I comute 12 miles each way on the freeway with no traffic going about 70.

So put me in the 17-18 range.

Brandon
brlowe1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 12:19 AM   #54
2k3r1

I just got 19 mpg and its not all highway.... mst of it is NOT highway
2k3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 12:26 AM   #55
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream
It's really much simplier than division and calculators. Us folk with 5-speeds have an overdrive gear. You don't.
My TJ with the 5-speed and that very same overdrive you mention is lucky to get 13 mpg.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 08:18 AM   #56
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe1965
Well after reading all of these I have decided my 2.5 really sucks. My jeep is bone stock with 235 tires on it which I think are about 28 or 29". It is a 98 with 5spd. I get about 190 miles per tank and my mileage is right around 17-18. I have seen 19 maybe once. I'm rebuilding my 4.0 drive train to drop in it this year and hope not to loose to much on the MPG.

I wonder if some of the difference we are seeing in mpg is because people are running around with a speedo that is out of cal. I have checked mine with my GPS many times and it is within 1 mph at 65. By the way I comute 12 miles each way on the freeway with no traffic going about 70.

So put me in the 17-18 range.

Brandon
I'm sure that some of the padded results here are from out-of-cal speedos, but not all. My speedo isn't dead on either which is why I go by my GPS when I can. (it's in my carry-bag so it's always with me...)

But 17-18 is pretty good for a 2.5L...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #57
schitzangiggles
King of Macastan

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 93 YJ 4.0 5spd 31"GY MTR's and I get between 15-20mpg. if you keep it tuned up, replace your plugs, wires, cap/rotor, oil, filters (oil, air, fuel) lubricants in chassi and air in your tires like your supposed to, oh and clean your injectors every once in a while you might find that you will get some better mileage. I conversations that I have had w/ owners w/ the 2.5, i find that we get comparable milage. But I can out run them in the dirt and on the road 'cause I gots me sum bigger squirrels eatin the peanuts.
Oh and my speedo is w/in @ 1mph of true.
schitzangiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2005, 10:21 PM   #58
hawleyrw

I'm running stock, approx 6000 miles on the TJ, and getting between 15-17. Longer runs (not pushing it), I definitely get over 17, but haven't broken the 18mpg mark yet.
Bestop soft doors
Viper Alarm system
Former [B][COLOR=Red]YJ 2.5L owner [/B][/COLOR] (94-00)
[email]rich@hawley.net[/email]
hawleyrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 12:52 AM   #59
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Some of this mpg difference may be weight of vehicle-- stock YJs weighed less than stock TJs. Well-modified TJs with heavier axels, skids, rockers, bumpers, tire carriers, winches, etc., are going to drop a little mpg due to weight.
Unread 05-06-2005, 02:07 AM   #60
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I'll include the milage from my last 10 refuelings to add some data to this discussion.

Data Representation
Since the TJ is not a daily driver and gets such crappy milage I only really use it for wheel'n. The below milage represents a combination between trail use and road driving. The road driving basically just includes milage to get to and from the trails and is usually on the freeway or state highways. I figure about 1/2 the time is spend on the road, the other half the time on the trails.

I have oversized tires on the TJ without a speedo gear change. When the speedo reads 60mph, the TJ is actually doing about 65mph. Dividing 65/60 gives me a correction multiplier of 1.083. I think should be reasonably accurate since the TJ is actually going faster (traveling farther) than the speedo indicates. The following data set has been corrected based on this value.

Milage Figures
15.3 mpg
15.4 mpg
14.1 mpg
14.1 mpg
14.1 mpg
15.7 mpg
14.6 mpg
13.5 mpg
11.3 mpg
13.4 mpg

TJ Setup
To augment the data above, my TJ has the following pertinent drive train/tire/gearing information:
  • 4.0L I-6 engine
  • 3 spd automatic transmission
  • 3.07 gears
  • 32x11.50 tires

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.