Who has over 17 mpg w4.0L??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Who has over 17 mpg w4.0L???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 11-12-2001, 11:57 AM   #16
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Last tank in my Ram I got 7 mpg.

Quit whining.

In my V8 WJ I averaged 16mpg, and on long freeway trips I was able to get 22mpg cruising at 60mph. K&N and Flowmaster for mods.

horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2001, 09:13 PM   #17
aroberts

I'm getting around 15 mpg for normal city driving. Mostly in town with some highway.
I have a 2002 Wrangler Sport, stock with Bigfoot XT 31X10.5 tires, five speed.
aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2001, 12:13 AM   #18
eltj

I can get between 19 and 20 in the city and only 15 on the hiway with an automatic with no overdrive. I have 33 inch tire and stock 3.55 gears. What helps me the most was changing to mobil 1 oil, custom exuast, and a open air intake. One thing that seems to work realy well on my 98 tj is to regularly clean the throtle body and keep up on the cap, rotor, and plugs.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2001, 12:22 AM   #19
evilpsych

hrmm this raises the interesting question.. most stock YJ's get between 19-21 mpg w/ the 4.0.. least mine does..so here's the question: WTF did Mopar do to the TJ drivetrain/engine setup to screw up the mileage so bad? were they just thinking of following the leader with the other big *** suvs.. since they get crappy mileage the wrangler must too??

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2001, 06:48 PM   #20
Qwntm

I think it may be a stock/non srtock thing here.

My stock 2001 30" tire dana 44 soft top 4.0 sport gets about 18-20 around town and 20-22 on the hwy. I'm pretty religious about figuring the milage and I have the 5 speed and drive pretty conservatively...

You can accuse me of flying the BS flag, but I really went out in the rain to get my book from the glovebox...honest...
Unread 11-16-2001, 12:35 AM   #21
gravelled

For the first 3K miles, I averaged 17.3 MPG. After changing the oil and switching to Mobil 1 synthetic, I was running at 18.4 MPG. I'm still in the last stages of the break-in period.
Don't know what to expect down the road.

JP

My 10 year old and I LOVE THIS JEEP!!!!!!!!!
gravelled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2001, 02:46 PM   #22
Alex D

I dunno where y'all get that kinda mileage....I never have gotten better than 15 mpg...maybe a little...and I have a K&N in there....
Unread 12-04-2001, 05:24 PM   #23
Qwntm

Beats the hell out of me? I have had the 'ol Jeeper for 3 months, and the first highway trip from Texas to Oregon I was getting 20-22.

That was back in early October. Well, for November, around town in Oregon I been getting 14.5 like religion!? (I calculate my gas milage at the end of the month for the month...October was great, November has sucked!?)

I just got a K&N and switched to Castrol Syntec, so we'll see.

Maybe it's the "winter" formula gas?

And that is a good question, why do YJ's get 20mpg? (I don't even have a distributer and rotor to clean, go figure...)
Unread 12-05-2001, 01:19 AM   #24
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

That is why I though out the B.S. flag. I don't know anyone that really gets better than 15. My division must be different than everyone else's or their calculaters are screwed up. I might get 15 on a good day.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #25
K-9 SAR

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one in the 15 mpg range. Just put on a K&N and haven’t burned out a tank yet to check for improvement. I put up another post a few days ago trying to get feedback on the throttle body spacers and who liked them. Like the other post said about his Dodge Ram. Try my 86 F250 4x4, 460 with 305x16's….a good day is 6 mpg! I love that Jeep mileage!!

K-9

Support you local search and rescue, get lost!
[B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 #28[/B]

2002 Sport,[COLOR=black]Black[/COLOR]
K&N
Stupid Lab in passenger seat

Support your local Search and Rescue teams,.....Get Lost!
K-9 SAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:03 AM   #26
Milt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I often get much better than 17 MPG---when I'm towing my TJ with another vehicle.

Milt
Milt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #27
AgentZed

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
I'm going to throw up the B. S. flag on getting close to 20. 15-16 is close to 20 but you aren't going to get any better than that. better get a new calculator.
Sorry dude, but your BS flag just got run over into the mud. I've been getting 19-21 mpg CONSISTENTLY for the past 8 months in my stock 4.0L with manual transmission.

In the very same vehicle, I used to get a consistent 16-17 mpg when I lived in Atlanta, Georgia. But when I moved across the country to Santa Fe, New Mexico, I instantly got a 3.5 mpg increase!

Biggest secret, 45-60 mph seems to be the range for getting the better MPG in my TJ. At speeds of 65-80, like I often drove in Atlanta, the Jeep's flying brick wall aerodynamics severely kills your fuel efficiency.

Also, realize that gasoline mixes vary across the country due to altitude and local anti-pollution requirements. So fuels sold in bigger cities where pollution is an issue are often less polluting, but also less efficient.
[b][color=white]White Jeep Club member #101010[/color][/b]
AgentZed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2004, 11:01 AM   #28
brrempel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentZed
when I moved across the country to Santa Fe, New Mexico, I instantly got a 3.5 mpg increase!
7,000 ft. altitude also hurts the power a little.

I'm in Santa Fe. Are you a member of the NMVJC? If not, you may want to check it out. We have a lot of fun with runs almost every weekend and sometimes both Sat. and Sun. Send me a PM if you're interested in going on a run.
Unread 08-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #29
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I get a big grin when I get over 13 mpg. I haven't had a big grin from getting over 13 mpg in a long time now.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #30
Falcor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have checked my mileage twice since I bought it 2 1/2 months ago. I get 18mpg with mostly Hwy driving. I have an auto with 31's and 3.07's. I just did a tune up this past weekend and am waiting to find out if it helped the mileage.

(sold) 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0L, 98 TJ Sahara, 78 CJ-7, 88 Grand Wagoneer
www.real4x4.iwarp.com
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gas mileage , mpg , tj , wrangler , 4.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.