White smoke under hood - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > White smoke under hood

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
GaryGrady
2000 TJ Wrangler 

White smoke under hood

White smoke billowed out from under hood after some start & stop, forward & reversing, to get in position to park. Drove 10 miles home. No overheat or low oil pressure. No more smoke while driving or when parked at home. Checked coolant & oil levels. Okay. Drove several miles next day, forwarded & reversed several times. No smoke. Today went on a trail & had to forward/reverse several times to get out of a tight spot. Started smoking again. Smells like exhaust, not sweet like coolant. Looked like it was coming from where block goes into exhaust pipes (I think) the first time. Again, no smoke once started driving or when got home. Ideas?

GaryGrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
Douglas S.

How much smoke?
Unread 10-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

White smoke could be power steering fluid or automatic transmission fluid burning off on the exhaust, or it could be exhaust leaking out and cooking the fluid or just a little engine oil from the valve cover. The logical suspects are the power steering hoses, the transmission cooler hoses that attach to the radiator bottom cap, and unfortunately the stock exhaust manifold.

Check the hoses first and hopefully that is it, the manifold is a pain to change. If you have an oil leak from the valve cover, that's not too hard to fix either, by fitting a new gasket.

The stock exhaust manifolds are actually more durable than any aftermaket headers, once Jeep started making them with flex joints built in. They are actually cast iron shorty headers. Don't make the mistake of buying any stainless steel headers without the flex joint, they cost a lot more and last a lot less.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
GaryGrady
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The power steering fluid is a real possibility! I have had to refill my fluid reservoir a couple of times and both times it smoked I had turned it hard & full as I was positioning the Jeep. It makes sense to me that when the wheel is turned & won't turn any more, more pressure is put on the power steering system & it might spray some fluid through a leak. The heat from the engine cooked it. It is also on the correct side of the engine. It also fits with the fact that the smoke stopped and I couldn't get the Jeep to do it again intentionally (except I didn't think to fully turn the wheels.)

My Jeep is in Colorado and I am back in Oklahoma until December. So, I won't be able to test this until then. But I have my hopes up it is nothing too serious or expensive.

Thanks, Gary. Gary
GaryGrady is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.