Whistling/Whirring Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Whistling/Whirring Noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
VanderTJ
2007 XK Commander 

Whistling/Whirring Noise

Hey guys, I've been coming to this site for the last 4+ years getting great advice on all things Jeep. Now I've come to something that I can't really find in the forums, and I'm just looking for ideas on what could be up with my Wrangler.

A couple of weeks ago while on the freeway driving to Atlanta from Auburn I noticed a high pitched whistling/whirring coming from my engine compartment. It only occurred when I have been driving for a while (15 minutes +), and only when my foot was off the gas. When accelerating or giving it gas, the whistle/whir went away.

At first I suspected the vacuum hoses or throttle body spacer (installed before I bought the Jeep). I have since removed the throttle boy spacer and checked the vacuum hoses (along with replacing the power steering pump, water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing which was a whole adventure in and of istelf), and the whistle/whir is still present under the same conditions as before.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

VanderTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
medtech
2005 LJ Wrangler 

mine does the same thing. I think it's coming from the hose connecting the alternator to the intake manifold but i'm not sure. I took a picture of where I hear the sound coming from.
pic1.jpg  
medtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
mike78
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Check your intake manifold, had the same issue.
mike78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

look up tea kettle sound on jeeps. it usually comes from the intake mani. i heard of the bolts just needing to be snugged up again.
PowderPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
VanderTJ
2007 XK Commander 

Trying it out

OK, I'll try those bolts on the intake manifold tonight when I get off work then. Hopefully that will fix it. I don't think that it's hurting the jeep, it just gets really annoying on long road trips (repeated trips from Auburn to Atlanta or Birmingham every other week or so at 2 hours a pop).

Not to hijack this thread's main topic of noise issues, but my Corbeau A4 drivers seat just kind of broke. The seat won't go fully upright. If I have serious problems with that I may start another thread though to see if anyone has had problems with those seats.
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech View Post
mine does the same thing. I think it's coming from the hose connecting the alternator to the intake manifold but i'm not sure. I took a picture of where I hear the sound coming from.
What is that you took a picture of?
What kinda mods have you done there?
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
VanderTJ
2007 XK Commander 

It looks like

It looks like a pic of the top of the engine with a super beefy alternator and a cold air intake maybe? I'm not sure, but that's what I thought when I first saw it.
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Mick VT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

looks like a supercharger mod to me - yeah that would whistle
Mick VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think MedTech is being funny because thats a supercharger with an intercooler.

And yes it would whistle.
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
medtech
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003RubiBlue View Post
I think MedTech is being funny because thats a supercharger with an intercooler.

And yes it would whistle.
Yeah I was just being funny.
medtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
VanderTJ
2007 XK Commander 

I tried tightening down the intake manifold and it may have helped a little. Not a lot of road use yet so I can't truly comment on whether the noise has stopped. I'll also get under the jeep today to check the vacuum hoses.
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
cconigliaro
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Let me know when you find out. My brother has the same issue and it only happens after driving for a while. We would hear it and pull over real fast to try and find it but you have to be quick before it goes away. We could never pin point it.
cconigliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Har har har
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
EricaS

Had the same issue for about six months on my 03 Rubicon. The noise kept getting worse, even accelerating wouldn't make it go away. Finally had a leak test confirm a shot intake manifold. Replaced and no noise since. Back to enjoying my Jeep.
EricaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech

Yeah I was just trying to be funny.
Fixed it for ya.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.