Whirring, squeaking noise? HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Whirring, squeaking noise? HELP!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 03-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
nman642000

Whirring, squeaking noise? HELP!

I've noticed lately that, when I start my 99 4.0 Jeep (5-sp) that there is a loud whirring/squeaking sound. After I begin to drive, the sound occurs at and over around 1200 rpm. It's not consistent below that, if I have the AC on, it'll quit if I turn it off, but will start to make it again, just not as sustained. This started last week or so with just a small noise when I started the vehicle, then it quit soon after, then it would make it when I released the clutch to move, now it does it when I'm driving down the road. After a 1-2.5 minutes, the sound will cease, but will start again when I start the Jeep up.

Any ideas before I take it to my mechanic? Thanks!

Cory

-5 speed
-Pretty much stock (But workin' on changing that!)

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/800097]My Jeep - Finally, some pics[/URL]
nman642000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
vonmendel

Check the belt, check the tensioner, check the alternator. Sounds like just a belt though.
ARMOR: Scrapmetal Customs front 3rd Kage and bumper
LUNG: White River Prototype Snorkel
TUMMY: in the worx
RECOVERY: a good collection of straps!
vonmendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
nman642000

Forgot to mention that I recently replaced the serpentine belt. checked tension and it's good; and it's routed properly.

Do these vehicles with the serpentine belts have timing belts anymore?

Or is the the serpentine the only belt on the car?
-5 speed
-Pretty much stock (But workin' on changing that!)

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/800097]My Jeep - Finally, some pics[/URL]
nman642000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Does it do it only when you are moving or when the Jeep is parked with engine running? If its only making the sound when you are rolling then it sounds like a case of angry sparrows(front driveshaft needs to be lubed). If its doing it when its parked then it sounds like the belt. To find out you can take some tooth paste(the paste, not the gel) and put some on the contact side of your belt and run it to see if it stopped. Some people like to use the belt dressing but if you use too much of it or for too long you could make the sound even worse. Good luck!
Unread 03-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
vonmendel

no timing belt just a chain. Scuba had a good point about the front driveshaft though. Timing Belts usually don't squeak even if you had one. Let us know what it was for future reference. Good Luck man.
ARMOR: Scrapmetal Customs front 3rd Kage and bumper
LUNG: White River Prototype Snorkel
TUMMY: in the worx
RECOVERY: a good collection of straps!
vonmendel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.