Whine around 15-35 mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Whine around 15-35 mph

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
spyderbyte
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Whine around 15-35 mph

My Jeep has started to give off a low pitched whine that I first notice when traveling around 15 mph. It increases in frequency with speed, and then around 35 mph it seems to go away (it may just be getting too high to hear, or drowned out by road noise). It doesn't matter what gear I'm in, whether I'm accelerating or decelerating, or if the clutch is pressed in.

I thought it was coming from the front drive shaft, so I removed that yesterday and drove to work. No luck, didn't seem to change anything. Today I replaced my front drive shaft, removed the rear, and drove around in 4Hi. Still no change. I got home, put the e-brake on, shifted back into 2Hi, and "accelerated" through the gears (kind of a strange experience to read 30+ on the speedometer while sitting still). I finally didn't notice any whine.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

I think my next step will be to check the fluid levels in my front and rear diffs (and possibly transmission and transfer case as long as I'm under there) and possibly change the fluid in both and inspect the gears.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to isolate where the whine is coming from?

Thanks!

Spyderbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys2004
Better to live with a little honor and class than die with a few extra greenbacks in your pocket.
spyderbyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My NV3550 is whiney too. Has been since day one.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
spyderbyte
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Would a transmission whine still show up in neutral with the clutch depressed? Would it help diagnose at all if I put the transfer case in neutral, rolled down a hill, and noted whether or not it whined?

Perhaps whine isn't quite the right word. It can be pretty loud (I had a Cherokee pass me with what sounded like the same issue and I could hear it from a block away). For lack of better words, the sound may almost be closer to a warble or a squeal (I feel like I'm naming Dr. Seuss characters ) that starts out at a low frequency (~15 mph) and gets higher pitched with tire speed. Not at all affected by engine speed or gear.

Thanks again

Spyderbyte
Quote:
Better to live with a little honor and class than die with a few extra greenbacks in your pocket.
Unread 06-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
MM1Jeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Front wheel bearing maybe? That's my input.

Jay
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
spyderbyte
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is checking for any slop or play in the tires the only way of testing wheel bearings? I jacked my Jeep up by the front diff and both front tires seem solid. (I checked the rear tires while I was at it, both for comparision and to rule them out).

And can someone please give me a quick rundown on part names? A search for Jeep Wrangler wheel bearings gives me the Timken below left (only twelve dollars though ) Am I actually looking for the whole hub assembly? (below center) And is this one more complete yet? (below right)

EDIT: Just read that the hub assembly (is that the proper term? Is it interchangeable with unit bearing?) is sealed and non-serviceable. Looks like that narrows it down to the two on the right.

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
Quote:
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

my wifes pinion bearing is going out and it whines, actually howls and goes away when you shift or in otherwords there is no stress on the r/p. when the pinion bearing is going out it causes the r/p to howl under stress because the pinion moves slightly. may be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

kinda sounds like my deal, my jeep kept whinning only when pressing on the gas and started around 15mph but kept going as long as i was on the gas. i couldnt figure it out and decided to keep driving it hoping to get a CEL so atleast i could get a scan on it, well after it got stupid loud i looked under the jeep and found this: i should also mentioned it has yet to be fixed, but the jeep is not being driven right now either
picture-033.jpg   picture-032.jpg  
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
spyderbyte
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Howl is a pretty good word for the sound...

In my case it's a constant noise though, it doesn't matter whether I'm accelerating, decelerating, coasting, in gear, in neutral, etc. I thought I read that a bad pinion bearing is only noisy under load, but I could very well be wrong.

EDIT: 2005X- What happened? Is that a diff fluid and dust/dirt mud? I can't tell where that's leaking from.

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
Quote:

Last edited by spyderbyte; 06-30-2010 at 02:21 PM..
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
cmyTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
kinda sounds like my deal, my jeep kept whinning only when pressing on the gas and started around 15mph but kept going as long as i was on the gas.
Mine is doing something very similar. I have been trying to figure out what was wrong. It whines while under load. As soon as I lift my foot, it goes away. I figured it had to be transmission, tc, rear driveshaft, or axle.
How difficult is it fix?
If it were to give out while driving what would happen?
1999 TJ - 35x12.5 Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar, 3.5" RE springs, Currie/Savvy control arms, 1" BL/MML, 8.8(ARB)/HP30(Powertrax) with 4.88s, UCF UHC Skids, Currie Steering, Currie Front Track Bar, PSC steering box, Black Magic Brakes
cmyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj8tj View Post
Mine is doing something very similar. I have been trying to figure out what was wrong. It whines while under load. As soon as I lift my foot, it goes away. I figured it had to be transmission, tc, rear driveshaft, or axle.
How difficult is it fix?
i just dropped mine in the shop, im working to many hours to fix this myself. the one thing he asked is how far i drove like that hoping it wasnt far. , we are hoping it is just the gaskets/seal busted and not the gears. he also thinks it could be the rear pinion bearing. hopefully he get into it to take a look soon.
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here's what I know--pinion bearings and the transmission whine that many of us have whine only while under load. I'm not too sure what would whine all the time. Highly doubt it's drive shaft related.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:43 AM   #12
cmyTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
i just dropped mine in the shop, im working to many hours to fix this myself. the one thing he asked is how far i drove like that hoping it wasnt far. , we are hoping it is just the gaskets/seal busted and not the gears. he also thinks it could be the rear pinion bearing. hopefully he get into it to take a look soon.
Please let me know what you find out. I am trying to figure out what to do with mine. I just had it in the shop to have the gears checked and they found no visual problems in the rear end. I had all of my fluids changed to see if that would help but no change.
1999 TJ - 35x12.5 Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar, 3.5" RE springs, Currie/Savvy control arms, 1" BL/MML, 8.8(ARB)/HP30(Powertrax) with 4.88s, UCF UHC Skids, Currie Steering, Currie Front Track Bar, PSC steering box, Black Magic Brakes
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #13
cmyTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Of course I have a lifted Jeep and I have yet to do a SYE so I assume that is the root of most of the problem. That will probably be the first thing I do to see if that fixes the issues.
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj8tj View Post
How difficult is it fix?
Pull the rear dive shaft, put it in 4hi and see if it still does it, if not then it's in rear diff.
Bearings & races are pitted causing this noise, if it finally self destructs then real weird things will happen depending upon which bearing it is.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Pull the rear dive shaft, put it in 4hi and see if it still does it, if not then it's in rear diff.
Bearings & races are pitted causing this noise, if it finally self destructs then real weird things will happen depending upon which bearing it is.
so assuming my leak (in pic #7) then it should be in my rear diff.? i was thinking my gasket or seal was busted causing fluid to leak and thought maybe my diff. wasnt gettng enough fluid causing the noise. but from the sounds of things it still could be anything

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • whine in 4 lo - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (15 replies)
  • Whine? - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (1 replies)
  • Whine? - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (9 replies)
  • Whine - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (1 replies)
  • Whine? - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (16 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.