When you're wheeling... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > When you're wheeling...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
JerseyDubbin

When you're wheeling...

Who often to you pop it in 4x4 the last two nights i've headed out to do some light wheelin and use it on and off depends on the situation. I know dont' use unless lipping but when wheels aren't getting traction i just put it in 4hi and get out the situation then pop it back out...

just wondering if this is the norm or i'm doing something wrong since i'm new to this

JerseyDubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Xander

Now, I haven't been wheeling yet (only had my TJ for 2.5 weeks) but most people who i talk to keep it in 4 low. But they don't go real fast on the trails, which you shouldn't. But if you are just wheeling around 20-40ish. Keep it in 4hi.
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
slo9fo5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

if you dont need 4wd, why use it? I only use it when I need it.... Xander- I think most of those people are on rocky type trails.
slo9fo5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
$lick
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDubbin View Post
Who often to you pop it in 4x4 the last two nights i've headed out to do some light wheelin and use it on and off depends on the situation. I know dont' use unless lipping but when wheels aren't getting traction i just put it in 4hi and get out the situation then pop it back out...

just wondering if this is the norm or i'm doing something wrong since i'm new to this
i know alot of people that i know that used to go mudding would always brag "I went through that in 2wd!! etc etc"

Yes you can spin the wheels more and get it muddier, but come a spot when your in 2wd and get stuck bad and 4wd doesnt get you out, odds are if you were in 4hi/low( i love 4low, once you experience it, youll see) you would have made it out..

keep it in 4wd...

Suspension specs:
RE 3.5, 1.25 JKS BL
Old Man Emu shocks
Teraflex adjustable front trac bar
JKS Disco's
Axle specs:
Dana 30- Superior 4.88's
Detriot tru-trac locker
Dana 35- Superior 4.88's
Riding on:
33x12.50 BFG A/T
Black Cragar soft 8's
$lick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
M.DURITZ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

hmm i wouldn't wheel 40 mph. hit one crazy bump and you gone.
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Country Boy
Bovi-sapiens

2000 WJ 

You're better off keeping it in 4hi or 4low because you may come across an area where its needed and you may not be able to engage it in time. Imagine you are cruising along and suddenly you start to lose traction on a slippery, muddy hill. If you let off the gas to engage 4x4, you lose speed and your 4 wheel drive may no longer be able to get you through. As long as you are on dirt or any other loose surface, you won't do any harm leaving it in 4x4 all the time.

Farming is easy when your plow is a pencil and you are a thousand miles from the cornfield. -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Don't curse the farmer with your mouth full.

Ah, cows. A thousand roast beef sandwiches wrapped in a gorgeous leather coat.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've been winch-less for 25 years...been stuck many a time and never needed anyone to recover me: I drive in 2 hi...and if stuck, get out with 4 hi or 4 low...ONE time I needed to get out and dig a little, but thats it. Just DONT drive toooooo fast while wheelin'...MUCh easier to break stuff.

If it aint related to God, guns, women, wheelin, or music then it aint worth much talking about it is it?
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
.Jch.
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWR View Post
I've been winch-less for 25 years...been stuck many a time and never needed anyone to recover me: I drive in 2 hi...and if stuck, get out with 4 hi or 4 low...ONE time I needed to get out and dig a little, but thats it. Just DONT drive toooooo fast while wheelin'...MUCh easier to break stuff.
not to be rude or anything because you've been winchless longer than I've been alive, but if you've never needed help getting out of a stuck spot you either 1) have a monster of a rig 2) take incredible angles and are the worlds best driver or 3) you haven't pushed the jeep really that far in off road situations.
[U]OllllllllO[/U][/B]
[SIZE="1"]2006 Unlimited[/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE]
[center][B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #2006
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/LJ_Owners"]LJ Owners, join the group and click here.[/URL][/B][/center]
.Jch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Jch. View Post
not to be rude or anything because you've been winchless longer than I've been alive, but if you've never needed help getting out of a stuck spot you either 1) have a monster of a rig 2) take incredible angles and are the worlds best driver or 3) you haven't pushed the jeep really that far in off road situations.
He obviously doesn't get out much, so 3.

dude, if you ever hit a real trail you'd realize why that 4LO exists, and why the rubicon has a 4:1 t-case not a 2.72:1
Any serious off-road trail demands pretty much constant use of 4LO, sometimes not so much for multiplied torque, but for the ability to cruise very slowly over obstacles ... obstacles that would flip you over in a second if you're flying in 2HI
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Jch. View Post

LOL! No I dont think you're being rude...and I think I'm just feeling old! I shoulda specified that this is/was on an F-150 and not my <new> jeep. But from trails in Soda Springs/Tahoe area, to the Trinity Alps in Way Norcal, to floods & flood plains in and around Chico down through Yuba City to Sacramento(I've had water to the floorboards and the mechanical fan slappin' water big time with my foot in it trying to keep her alive), driving to/fro in the snow to pick up christmass trees in the Mendacino backcountry while its been snowing...the truck has been good to me. Has recovered more Chevy's than anything else (just sayin'...not to start a war) and pulled a stump that a K-5 blazer and suburban both had tried and failed epically at. Its been grossly overloaded, beat to snot and come back for more. The ONLY thing I've ever seen on the trails where I've been that has done as well have been baja bugs and JEEPS which is why I bought a jeep..... I've never *babied* this thing and has been rattle can-sprayed 3X over a macco-job the owner did over the original before I got it. Close to 500,000 miles on her with 3 motors, 5 transmissions, more radiators I care to count...but still has the same-original ford 9 inch in it and dana up front (its needed new seals up front but that's been it). I dont do trails too lightly but do listen to the locals about which trails are jeep dedicated and not to take a truck on. But short of that.... I take trails much to narrow for it due to the foilege...but am *sane* around rocks.............. Truck has been out with me huntin' for about 20 of those 25 years its been on the road, up/down washed out fireroads & breaks, climbed over a couple or three stumps because there was just no place to turn around & the other side was a steeeeeeeeeeeeeep cliff. Have had to air down a couple of times when the tires were gettin' bad & I shoulda replaced them before goin out: Had one trip that ended with TWENTY FIVE tire repairs acrross 3 tires & had to borrow some plugs......

When I say wheel.... I mean wheel. NOT rock crawl, but wheeln'.

(And now to JUST to make me feel a weee bit older and jokingly poke fun) Guess I was wheelin' when you were still crawlin'!!!!!!!!

If it aint related to God, guns, women, wheelin, or music then it aint worth much talking about it is it?
Unread 03-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ill keep it in 4lo once I get to the trails. Its much easier and nicer to have the low gear ready to go if you need it and I like crawling through mud and stuff instead of "making it through" in 2wd to act like it was easy, while all you really did is create big ruts in the trail and get your vehicle covered in more mud.

Everyones trails will be a little different though, from fire roads, to /claymud/rocks, to rocky ledges to a mix of it all.

1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life View Post
He obviously doesn't get out much, so 3.

dude, if you ever hit a real trail you'd realize why that 4LO exists, and why the rubicon has a 4:1 t-case not a 2.72:1
Any serious off-road trail demands pretty much constant use of 4LO, sometimes not so much for multiplied torque, but for the ability to cruise very slowly over obstacles ... obstacles that would flip you over in a second if you're flying in 2HI
Thank you, someone finally nailed it. If your not using 4low then your not using your Jeep to its potential. If your on a trail (and not a FS road) you will NEED 4low. When you hit a trail its pretty much in 4low from start to finish, never would you acheive speeds of 40mph on a trail.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

1clean~ That second and third picture look like they coulda been taken right outta some of the areas near me out here where I hunt. Pic 1....about the only time ya' see something like that out here-- the forest service and/or BLM has already closed the trail. Sure looks like ya' got some nice spots!!!!

Unread 03-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry, I missed Fish's post. I cant AGREE MORE with ya' about flyin' in ANY gear combo...it breaks stuff fast; So if that's what you're into-- then so be it, it don't sound like that...but then again I specifically said in mine NOT to go fast....40 on any trail, well, I think you're right...it aint much of a trail; Should be called a road!!!!! But SOMEWHERE between those two extremes (of 40mph flyin' vs. 1/1000 mile per hour rock crawling is trail riding and wheelin'.........which I *think* the OP is asking specifically about.

Unread 03-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #15
adurbin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When Im wheeling, I always keep it in 4lo. I have ran sections of trail quite often that do not require low torque or slow crawl, in which case I have the tranny in 2nd or 3rd. But I CRAWL, I dont blaze through and risk tearing stuff up. Not to mention the extra wear and tear on equipment from multiple shifts in and out of 4wd to 2wd, to 4wd etc etc.
Northeast Tennessee Jeep Club Member #1
adurbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.