Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

When to upgrade stock wheel

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  rhelton04 
#1 ·
Ok I checked the FAQ's section dealing with how big of a tire can I go on my TJ etc etc.

Nothing addressed the issue of Offset. is there an issue?

Assuming a 3.5 inch RE flex kit or equivalent lift at what tire width would I need to start thinking about Offset?

How wide can I go with the stock Rubicon Moab rims with say 33inch tires??

thanks in advance I could not find the info posted on the site.

#2 ·
11.50 would be the max width on Rubi Moab wheels. BTW, they have 5" of backspacing.

If you want to run the more commonly found 12.50 width in the 33" size, you want 4.5" of backspacing or less.

Translated to offset, this would be -12.7mm or more (as in more negative, for example -20mm).

#6 ·
10.50 is the max width on most TJ wheels that have 5.5" backspacing.

You need 5" or less bs to run 11.50 wide tires, which Moab wheels have.

33x11.50 is not a common size, but since they are 16" wheels, you should be able to find a metric sized tire that is pretty close to that size.

#7 ·
Gun_Runner said:
Wheelin98TJ says 11.5's are tha max on a stock rim and

Joonhoss71 says 10.5's

If I did the wheel spacers and 33X12.5's what am I likely to break?

Thanks in advance
Nothing as long as you go with quality spacers that are HUB CENTRIC such as Spidertrax. The thing you run into there is that for very little more than the cost of quality spacers you can get a nice set of aftermarket wheels. You can get black steelies cheaper than spacers. Choice is yours.

#8 ·
#20 Home Depot said:
Nothing as long as you go with quality spacers that are HUB CENTRIC such as Spidertrax. The thing you run into there is that for very little more than the cost of quality spacers you can get a nice set of aftermarket wheels. You can get black steelies cheaper than spacers. Choice is yours.
Too bad Jeeps aren't hub centric and the spidertrax spacers are just a marketing scheme. Any set of wheel spacers should be fine as long as they are quality. IT depends on how much you want to spend, they range from $55/set on ebay to $130/set for spidertrax.

#9 ·
MCanavan said:
Too bad Jeeps aren't hub centric and the spidertrax spacers are just a marketing scheme. Any set of wheel spacers should be fine as long as they are quality. IT depends on how much you want to spend, they range from $55/set on ebay to $130/set for spidertrax.
You need to do more research my friend.

#10 ·
Hey, I don't mean to hijack...but I'm looking at getting some black Cragar 397's today.

Just so I'm sure - I have 31x10.5's but will probably upgrade to 32x11.5's with the next tire purchase. Should I go with 5.0 backspacking for my cragars? That will work with what I have AND work when I upgrade?

Thanks!

#11 ·
rhelton04 said:
Hey, I don't mean to hijack...but I'm looking at getting some black Cragar 397's today.

Just so I'm sure - I have 31x10.5's but will probably upgrade to 32x11.5's with the next tire purchase. Should I go with 5.0 backspacking for my cragars? That will work with what I have AND work when I upgrade?

Thanks!
I'd go with 4.5" bs so you have the option to run 12.50 wide tires down the road.

And 1/2" more bs shouldn't be that big of a deal, unless your state is REALLY strict on tire coverage laws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.