when i stop, rpm's drop and engine dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > when i stop, rpm's drop and engine dies

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
redbob2323
1998 TJ Wrangler 

when i stop, rpm's drop and engine dies

2 weeks ago i put in an AA SYE and ever sinse then the engine has been stalling when i coast to a stop in neutral or if i use my gears to slow down.

if i hold in the clutch and give it gas as i come to a stop it stays started but im usually pressing the breaks and so it stalls

my speedometer isnt working because i didnt put the speedo gear all the way back into the tcase housing but i dont think that has anything to do with it.

i have replaced my air filter and my iac is clean but im still stalling and its getting old.

if some one could help me it would be greatly appritiated

Bob

98 wranger 4.0L, 4" RC lift, 33" mud terrians, AA sye, tom wood drive shaft

redbob2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

why wouldn't you put the speedo gear back in?
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The speedo gear is exactly your problem. The Computer uses the speed sensor to control engine idle when slowing down and stopping. No speed signal will cause the symtoms you are seeing.
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
cx300
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
The speedo gear is exactly your problem. The Computer uses the speed sensor to control engine idle when slowing down and stopping. No speed signal will cause the symtoms you are seeing.
Don't be too quick to judge... I've driven a lot of miles without the speedo gear. But it stands a good change of being your root cause, check your battery connections... I've had this issue numerous times with jeeps. On my 1999 cu and also 2004 tj. For some reason having a bad battery connection will not let the engine idle and it'll just die off.
cx300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
redbob2323
1998 TJ Wrangler 

wow i didnt think the speedo gear had anything to do with that. my one bud still doesnt have his in and his works fine, i didnt put mine in because it wouldnt go in.

i lubed it up and pushed but the seel won't fit into the hole of the new sye housing any recommendations on how to get it back in?
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
lilboy1023
2001 TJ Wrangler 

When I installed my 241 into my 01, I didn't put the sensor back on, I know it was stupid looking back. I didn't have one that came with it. With it out it ran fine, but speedo wouldn't work of corse. I put it in finally and didn't hook up the sensor to the harness. I had the same thing that you are having. When I finally put the connections together, the problem went away.
lilboy1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
redbob2323
1998 TJ Wrangler 

oh, and i have the thing in the hole so stuff stays out but its not ALL the way in so the gears arent turning
Unread 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As said above, not having a speedometer gear can indeed cause problems since the engine computer uses the output signal from the speedometer gear sensor for all kinds of important decisions/adjustments it makes. I have no idea why you had trouble getting the speedometer gear housing reinstalled, the AA SYE kit is widely used and has no issues with reusing the factory speedometer gear housing. And the engine rpms are totally controlled by the computer so if the computer isn't getting all the data like from the speedometer gear, the engine will start having strange issues.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
redbob2323
1998 TJ Wrangler 

alright ill work on it thanks
Unread 01-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
bywaters
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When I finished the SYE my jeep would not idle. It did however run fine while I was driving. Did you remove your transfer case for the install?

I removed the transfer case and here is what happened:
When I removed the skid plate & then the transfer case...I held the tranny up with a jack. At one point I lowered the tranny a little (not very much). Anyways...when the tranny went down...so did the motor....I had a vacuum line on the front of the motor pull off (It connected from underneath). This only happened because my vacuum line was so tight! The tranny barely dropped at all. Anyways, I popped the vacuum back on and have never had that problem again.
bywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
Sahara Matt
Sahara in Disguise

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If anyone is still reading this post... Do you know if they spedometer itself is not working correctly, ie the needle sticks, could that also cause this problem?

MY Poor mans paint job and herc, az- rockers, plus flush mount cirlce taillights

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...uliner-560064/
Sahara Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
the AA SYE kit is widely used and has no issues with reusing the factory speedometer gear housing.
Well I guess they made a bad batch because my speedo gear housing wouldn't go back into the AA housing without chewing up several o-rings. I eventually gave up and just used RTV instead of the o-ring.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.