When do you shift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > When do you shift?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
JEEPBURGH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When do you shift?

I have a 4 cylinder TJ and as we all know I didn't buy if for power!
I just wanted to take a talley on how high people run ther RPM's before they shift. I've been shifting between 3000-4000 RPM's and I tend to get a bit more power in 3rd-5th at higher RPM's. Did I mention that my TJ is a 6 speed?

Thanks!

JEEPBURGH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

when do you shift?

When I see a cloud of smoke coming from the rear.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

3-4k is probably a lil high to shift you are looking for decent mileage (well decent considering its a Jeep). I probably shift a little high for good mpg too and I shift between 2500-3000 usually, but I am driving a 6 cyl with a 5 speed
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Depends on the situation and how lazy I'm feeling that day...
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

mine shifts for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
JEEPBURGH
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No automatics!!!!
JEEPBURGH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your 4 banger makes its power up high, so you should be shifting in the 3-4k range. It won't effect your mileage like some will say. Your mileage will be poorer if you lug the engine and shift at 2k. With 4.88's, 35's, 4.0, and NV3550 I shift in the 2.5-3k range. I'm not a fan of lugging the engine and I get better mileage than most.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

between 2300 and 3300. I only really need the higher end 3k and up when im in 3rd gear, or 4th gear. I dont use 5th gear
patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Between 2,200 and 2,500 rpms around town, 3,000 rpms when I am on a on ramp for the highway, but I have a 4.0 with 4.56 gears.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I dont have the 4 I have the 6cyl 6 speed, but I still usually shift around 2200-3000 for mileage purposes. And I rock the nonsense out of 6th gear. I feel like on the highway and even around 50 mph there is alot of power in sixth still. I am running 3.73 gears though so I dont know if that matters....
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

when i hit the rev limiter.......
'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPBURGH View Post
I have a 4 cylinder TJ and as we all know I didn't buy if for power!
I just wanted to take a talley on how high people run ther RPM's before they shift. I've been shifting between 3000-4000 RPM's and I tend to get a bit more power in 3rd-5th at higher RPM's. Did I mention that my TJ is a 6 speed?

Thanks!
Even though many will answer, the question as asked has no correct answer.
You do not shift at a certain same rpm each time.
For each gear change it will be different (you typically rev higher between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts than you do for 4-5 and 5-6), and for different driving situations the appropriate shift point will be different.
For example, when you pull onto the freeway you need to rev between shifts to get up to speed quickly.
But when you just turned onto a street and are going to have to stop at the light a half block down, what sense does it make to rev to 4 grand?
EVERY single shift, EVERY time, must be decided by you; shift early because not much power is needed or economy is desired, rev high to accellerate quickly, or - typically - somewhere in between.
Note that shifting too early can actually reduce mileage due to lugging the engine. Listen for it, the engine will tell you when it's not breathing well.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
jdub2k5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

in most my cars I shift at the same rpm in every gear the jeep is weird in the sense that I change gears at random rpms.

I try to stick to around 3k-3.5k(power for the next gear, good exhaust sounds, and smooth shift)
Unread 02-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
The27Jeenyus

i have 4.0 6 speed and i shift just ~ 2100
Originally Posted by Willy36 View Post
icequeen's got something sticky in her hair from some dude named zach
The27Jeenyus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As said before it depends on the situation but in general, on an open road always over 3k in my 4 cylinder. Lugging the engine is worse than revving it up a bit more.

I usually even take my 4.0L to 3k on a regular basis. And my Civic sees anywhere between 4k and 8200, based on my mood and desire for adrenaline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.