Wheeling in ice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheeling in ice

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Bigsam

Wheeling in ice

Could wheeling in ice 2-2.5" thick put a hole in something. I have skids on most parts of the jeep just got it so not to sure what all is protected.

Bigsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
YCP4x4

i unno about putting a hole in it, but if your on a lake i highly don't suggest it unless your SURE it's heavy enough ( let a friend go first!)... jk on the ().
YCP4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Bigsam

No I am just talking about like wheeling through pits Where the jeep breaks the ice up into chunks. I was wondering if one of the chunks could come up and put a hole in something
Bigsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Depends how cold it is and how thick the ice is but I bet you could do some damage to something. I was playing in a sand pit a while back with my xterra and there was a little water under the ice. As my tires broke through, the ice on the sides of my tracks did a real number on my front rims and sidewalls. It looked like I's been driving next to a curb.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

could do alot of damage, could break brake lines, bend rims, bend your tie rod, luckily fo me all it did was make my diff. fluid a milky grey color. pics below

Unread 01-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

you guys are brave. I'd hate to have to wade through water anyways if I got stuck. But through that stuff? Yikes!

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

jeepcurious nice pics but you gotta check your breather hoses on the diffs. I've been in water that high plenty of times and never found milky diff fluid.... in fact i've had water in the tranny, but none in the diffs...
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

can ice damage a jeep? well...Jeep is made of steel. The Titanic was made of steel. any questions?

they do ice wheeling/racing on the reservoirs up in the mountains. studded tires on tube buggies basically, but these res's are 6" thick, with no crevices.

Personally, I'm not going on water, whether it be solid or liquid, in anything that does not float.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
Heyduke
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Watch your radiator. Ice can jam between that and your fan causing bad stuff to happen. Brake lines can be torn off. ARB lines also, if you have em.

The ice up to Georgetown is almost two feet thick. They park motorhomes on it. If you haven't raced on the ice. You are missing out on some real fun. Go up on a Sunday morning and get in line. It's like twenty bucks for a day of racing around on the ice. You don't need to run cheaters or studs to have fun. Dress warm though. It gets cold!
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
JerseyDubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyduke
Watch your radiator. Ice can jam between that and your fan causing bad stuff to happen. Brake lines can be torn off. ARB lines also, if you have em.

The ice up to Georgetown is almost two feet thick. They park motorhomes on it. If you haven't raced on the ice. You are missing out on some real fun. Go up on a Sunday morning and get in line. It's like twenty bucks for a day of racing around on the ice. You don't need to run cheaters or studs to have fun. Dress warm though. It gets cold!
do you keep it in 4WHI or just 2W

the slipping on the ice would warrent the 4w but at the same token it might take some of the fun out of it. Just curious
JerseyDubbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:20 AM   #11
Heyduke
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you want to win.....and we all do, you keep it 4. But you try real hard not to spin your tires. You gotta keep your speed at a controllable pace cause you're racing around a dogbone shaped course. It's all about control and not spinning off into the middle. It's really a blast. You try your lockers in the straights and unlock em in the corners. Street tires work better than muds do. Lot of people have a set of Hakapalettas mounted on rims just to race the bare rubber class. I never did. I just raced my mud TA's
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #12
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life
jeepcurious nice pics but you gotta check your breather hoses on the diffs. I've been in water that high plenty of times and never found milky diff fluid.... in fact i've had water in the tranny, but none in the diffs...

i only got water in the front diff. which is because of the Warn diff cover, the screws seem to come loose after wheeling for a but, and water seeped in
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyduke

exactly, 2 feet thick is a lot different than 2" thick stated by the OP.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
Jackle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

that's takin a hell of a risk runnin through ice holes. unless you're absolutely sure.....you may not want to run over them because of depth issues....you might think it's only 6 inches deep but actuallity might have it around 3 ft. you should always check every water crossing before continuing on......yea i know its a huge pain in the ***.
Jackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
tj120
2001 TJ Wrangler 

watch your radiator the bottom is just plastic.
tj120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.