Wheel spacers = Death Wobble?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel spacers = Death Wobble??

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel spacers = Death Wobble??

I just put a pair of used 37's on my 2001 TJ. Two are worn unevenly, and I decided to try and run them in the front. I wasn't surprised when I got DW at 35-40mph. So I switched the rears to the fronts, and took of the 1" wheel spacers all around. That fixed the DW, but now I'm wondering if the wheel spacers could have contributed to it?

Real Jeeps are built, not "bolt-on"!
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your seat have a shake to it now at 35-40?
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You didn't have DW. You had a little tire wobble.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovail View Post
I just put a pair of used 37's on my 2001 TJ. Two are worn unevenly, and I decided to try and run them in the front. I wasn't surprised when I got DW at 35-40mph. So I switched the rears to the fronts, and took of the 1" wheel spacers all around. That fixed the DW, but now I'm wondering if the wheel spacers could have contributed to it?
you have a stock Tie Rod dont ya?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
You didn't have DW. You had a little tire wobble.
I'm very familiar with DW. The DW is now fixed, and now I have the normal TJ tire wobble!

Unread 02-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
ValleyJeeper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Worn wheel spacers are not good. If they move at all, they will unbalance the wheel and driving will be bad. You will definitely feel it up front. Its still happening in the rear, you just don't feel it.
I had a set with stock rims that I had to re-torque every 2 weeks. They went in the trash when I bought new wheels.
ValleyJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There are many things that can cause DW and tire balance is a big one. Spacers by themselves shouldn't cause the problem but can make it worse since the tires are further out and any balance issue now gets more leverage.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Vandano
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you would be surprised if you got death wobble.

Your where experiencing a shake due to an unbalanced tire. I believe the shaking was resolved more from moving the uneven tires to back not from removing the spacers.

Death wobble is the violent uncontrollable shaking that is only resolved by coming to a complete stop and wont be caused by an unbalanced tire.
Vandano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
you have a stock Tie Rod dont ya?
Tera High Steer, Rubicon Express track bar with 8,000 miles on it. Track bar bracket welded to the top of the axle. The track bar and drag link are almost perfectly parallel

Unread 02-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Vandano
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Tera High Steer, Rubicon Express track bar with 8,000 miles on it. Track bar bracket welded to the top of the axle. The track bar and drag link are almost perfectly parallel
are they properly torqued with no movement? have you had some turn the steering wheel lock to lock and see if anything moves that shouldnt

The tire balance may "initiate" the death wobble but is not the cause. Something is loose or worn and its not your stabilizer.
Vandano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
Spacers by themselves shouldn't cause the problem but can make it worse since the tires are further out and any balance issue now gets more leverage.
I never heard that before, but after removing them, I thought maybe that could have been the case. Thanks

Unread 02-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How much does the RE track bar flex in the bend when someone is turning the wheel back and forth?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandano View Post
are they properly torqued with no movement? have you had some turn the steering wheel lock to lock and see if anything moves that shouldnt

The tire balance may "initiate" the death wobble but is not the cause. Something is loose or worn and its not your stabilizer.
When I installed the HS and TB everything was dialed in. I will be checking all torque specs, and everything else related to DW if it returns, for now it is back to normal. Everything was fine with the 35's. It started happening with unevenly worn 37's. I suspect my caster is not correct which may be the real cause.

Side note: these are balanced with BB's. About 12oz in each tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyJeeper View Post
Worn wheel spacers are not good. If they move at all, they will unbalance the wheel and driving will be bad.
As far as I can tell, the spacers were not worn. What exactly wears on a spacer?

Unread 02-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The BB's may be doing it. As novel as the idea is, I've not been able to make it work. After going to standard weights and road force balancing, my tires are smooth. They were not smooth above 50ish with BB's.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
The BB's may be doing it. As novel as the idea is, I've not been able to make it work. After going to standard weights and road force balancing, my tires are smooth. They were not smooth above 50ish with BB's.
This is the second time I tried BB's. The first was when I was trying to diagnose DW the first time. I got rid of them thinking they were the cause, but that did not fix the DW. I have always been skeptical of BB's, but love the idea of not paying for a balance, and not having them go out of balance over time. Smooth tires over 50ish sounds great though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.