2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 05-18-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel Identification and Specs

Can anyone help identify the specifications on these wheels? Namely width and back-spacing.

A friend needs a new set of wheels because the aftermarket set on his Wrangler has a horrible backspacing and rubs terribly. Someone in our local club posted these for sale but they don't know how wide they are nor the backspacing. They're supposed to be from a 2006 65th Anniversary Wrangler TJ. The seller says they are 4.5x5 bolt pattern and I noticed the tires are 15", but we still need to know the width and backspacing to know if they would solve my friends rubbing problem.

~

Attached Images

~ SouthernGypsy's Jeeps ~
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon 4.0L/Automatic
1983 Jeep CJ-7 Limited 4.2L/5 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 05-18-2016, 09:08 PM
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

15x8. . 5.5 backspace and 25 mm off set . According to the " stock TJ specification" sticky on here.

Sent from my phone using JeepForum

Yakima Valley Mountaineers.
post #3 of 57 Old 05-18-2016, 09:18 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Look like Alcoa in link below

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...1/#post4131908

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #4 of 57 Old 05-18-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
15x8. . 5.5 backspace and 25 mm off set . According to the " stock TJ specification" sticky on here.

Sent from my phone using JeepForum

Thanks

...and Ouch. Glad we asked because he liked them and the price was really nice but he needs a backspacing more like what my '04 Rubicon has (we tested with one of mine) which is 5" and they BARELY rub at full lock when making a sharp turn, enough that a single washer under the steering stops would probably be enough to fix it, so we're considering that to be the minimum we need. Though 4.75" would be even better. He really likes Moab wheels, but no luck finding any for sale locally yet except off a JK which wont fit.

~

post #5 of 57 Old 05-18-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post

Yes it does.

~

post #6 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 PM
xxdabroxx
Dave's not here

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Do you own a tape measure?
post #7 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdabroxx View Post
Do you own a tape measure?

Yes, why? If your gonna suggest measuring them they're for sale on one of the states Jeep clubs page and the guy lives 110+ miles away so we're not much up for driving 3+ hours round trip if we don't know they fit before we leave. Nice wheels but we think we're gonna try and find a set of Rubicon take-offs somewhere.

~

post #8 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

As easy as 1, 2, 3...

rikkards likes this.
post #9 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
As easy as 1, 2, 3...

Yes but I wanted to be sure because that picture does not actually look exactly like the wheels being offered for sale.

~

post #10 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 06:43 PM
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Really? What is the difference you allegedly saw when you totally looked there first that got you super duper concerned? The part where that's the wheel that comes on the 2006 65th Anniversary Edition?
post #11 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Really? What is the difference you allegedly saw when you totally looked there first that got you super duper concerned? The part where that's the wheel that comes on the 2006 65th Anniversary Edition?
Super duper concerned? Nope, nowhere close to that

Just wanted to make sure they was actually the same. Info like on the wheel data page has been known to have mistakes before, esp when it comes to special editions. Over in the WJ forums there was a picture of a wheel up there forever that never came on a WJ at all, came on an XJ but somehow was included, someone just got confused because it looked really similar to a WJ wheel.

The Jeep wheels that are for sale have a much plainer center cap that say JEEP, the ones shown on the wheels info page shows a more ornate black center cap that looks much more raised in pictures.

As I mentioned earlier though I think we're gonna hold out and watch eBay for a set of Rubi take-offs anyway.

~

post #12 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
Super duper concerned? Nope, nowhere close to that

Just wanted to make sure they was actually the same. Info like on the wheel data page has been known to have mistakes before, esp when it comes to special editions. Over in the WJ forums there was a picture of a wheel up there forever that never came on a WJ at all, came on an XJ but somehow was included, someone just got confused because it looked really similar to a WJ wheel.

The Jeep wheels that are for sale have a much plainer center cap that say JEEP, the ones shown on the wheels info page shows a more ornate black center cap that looks much more raised in pictures.

As I mentioned earlier though I think we're gonna hold out and watch eBay for a set of Rubi take-offs anyway.

~
I run the Rubicon take-offs on several of my rigs. They are a very fine wheel but they aren't even in the same league as the ones in the pictures. The reason you are confused by the logo is one has the Alcoa logo who is the manufacturer and the other has the Jeep.

They are very high quality forged rims with high strength and light weight. They are good enough to buy a set of quality 1.25" wheel spacers for and run them.

I like the Rubicon stuff but they are cast and nowhere near what a forged wheel is.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #13 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I run the Rubicon take-offs on several of my rigs. They are a very fine wheel but they aren't even in the same league as the ones in the pictures. The reason you are confused by the logo is one has the Alcoa logo who is the manufacturer and the other has the Jeep.

They are very high quality forged rims with high strength and light weight. They are good enough to buy a set of quality 1.25" wheel spacers for and run them.

I like the Rubicon stuff but they are cast and nowhere near what a forged wheel is.

Yes I noticed the forged part and even considered buying them just for the heck of it because of that.
And thanks for explaining the center cap, I couldn't make out what that logo was on the wheels sticky page.

Any idea what the going price should be for a set of 5 like that?

~

post #14 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 10:45 PM
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

They're not common, so asking for a "going rate" is a difficult question. Why not just say how they're asking? You can get good aluminum wheels like MT Classics for about $125 each I think. For a full set of 5 good forged factory Alcoa wheels like that I think $250 to $500 is probably fair.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-2358421
post #15 of 57 Old 05-19-2016, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They're not common, so asking for a "going rate" is a difficult question. Why not just say how they're asking? You can get good aluminum wheels like MT Classics for about $125 each I think. For a full set of 5 good forged factory Alcoa wheels like that I think $250 to $500 is probably fair.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-2358421

Didn't know if they showed up commonly and had a fairly set price range for a mint condition set.

I can buy these for $200 for the set of 5, and 4 of them have a set of 31x10.50x15 Wrangler GSA's on them with about 65% tread, though the tires hold no interest for me.

~

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.