Wheel Compatibility Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wheel Compatibility Question

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 06-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
damtke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel Compatibility Question

Hi Everyone,

I recently joined the forum. I have a 2004 Wrangler X with Rock Krawler 3.5" SA lift, SYE, and am running 31s on a set of 15" ion wheels. It is time to get 33s, but i have one minor problem. When I purchased my jeep it came with 4 ion wheels, and the factory spare. When I buy new tires I would like to get a fifth matching wheel. My wheel is an Ion 138 polished.

I found this wheel but every website says it is not compatible. However, I have four of them on my jeep and I am almost certain this is the same one. http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/io...385165p-.aspx#

Can anyone explain why this wheel isn't compatible? Also, is there anyway to determine whether or not my wheels are 15x8 or 15x10 with the tires on?

Thanks in advance.

damtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Probably because it has different backspacing than stock. To measure your rim width just put a straight edge across the tire and measure from there to the rim, repeat on the other side, then measure the width of the tire. Do a little math and you have your rim width.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The one in your link has the recommended amount of backspacing (4") for the tires you will be mounting on them and the correct 5x4.5" bolt pattern, it'll bolt up fine. It is probably saying it is incompatible due to its reduced backspacing but you actually need less backspacing (4" is pretty ideal) for 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 tires. But that one in your link is a 15x10 wide wheel which is not as as good for 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 tires as a 15x8 wheel is if you air your tires down (as you should) when you go offroading.

Do you know if your present wheels are 15x10 or 15x8? Verify that before ordering.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
damtke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I assumed it had something to due with the backspacing. I am going to measure them when it stops raining to see if mine are 15x8 or 15x10.
damtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You may find the size of the wheel stamped somewhere on the outer edge of the inside of the wheel [inside meaning side of the wheel pointed towards the Jeep].
Jim

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.