What's this and why is it so angry? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What's this and why is it so angry?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #76
SwissK31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If the cam position sensor gear went bad, good chance you'll have to replace the cam also...IMO
I took it off to take a look at it and it had a little wear on the gears but nothing real bad. It's making the same noise as the op, so i figure i might as well replace it now be for I do any real harm to the engine. Why do you think that I would have to replace the camshaft as well?

SwissK31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #77
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissK31 View Post
I took it off to take a look at it and it had a little wear on the gears but nothing real bad. It's making the same noise as the op, so i figure i might as well replace it now be for I do any real harm to the engine. Why do you think that I would have to replace the camshaft as well?
There's a TSB for your year of 4.0L. As the cam position sensor gear goes bad, so does the drive gear which is part of the camshaft...
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #78
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I thought the TSB was for 05s only
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #79
Sxinc
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Im sitting in training and bursted out laughin cause of the sound.

[QUOTE=StvDiego;9154533]Running a straight pipe on your Jeep would be like boinking your best friends hot mom.

Feels hot and wild when you first start it up but after awhile it's just noise[/QUOTE]
Sxinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #80
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I thought the TSB was for 05s only
One thing to remember about TSB's, they may come out in one year and address that year. That doesn't mean that they don't address to following years also. Just like the TSB's for the #3 injector insulator and the 7 blade fan and fan clutch. When I was at Moab in 06, there was an 06 Rubicon with the cam position sensor shaft snapped off...
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #81
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My 06' was making the sound upon cold start up, started about 17K miles. I pulled the cap off the beast and could see what looked like a tiny bit of oil around the upper part of the shaft. Must be getting lube, off I went on a 1400 mile road trip. Noise never returned until just yesterday. Minor, but it's there again. My build date is March 2006 FWIW. At some point I plan to pull it and look at the internals, just to be sure.
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #82
SwissK31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just looked at my build sheet and it said was built in September of 05. Do you think Jeep will cover this, I no longer have a warranty on it. Where do i go to look at the TSB? Is there a link or something i can look at or do I have to call the dealer to find out?
SwissK31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.