What's this and why is it so angry? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What's this and why is it so angry?

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #61
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It does sound like laughing monkeys! LMAO!

jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #62
Ulumanati
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Could this possibly be the sound I hear when coming to a stop at times? It sure sounds like winding down and the monkey sound, but it's only once in a blue moon. Checked all ujoints so that's why I'm looking to this now as a solution..

Or does this happen to make noise all the time?
Unread 12-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #63
unlimited68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

there was a update on the gear . the gear has to be replace due to the hardness was to soft .the camshaft all so has to be look at,if there is wear on them they need to be replace.there is a write up on the forum maybe someone will have it book mark good luck.
unlimited68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #64
ecsbabydaddy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What is this sound and why is it so angry

Our '05 unlimited started making this noise from the exact same spot about 2 weeks ago. After reading the posts here, I decided to try a few things before removing the offensive device. Our lj has 53000 miles and I couldn't see how the shaft assembly needs replaced, so I pulled the cap off, and using a can of WD-40 with a long straw, sprayed under the tone ring/wheel, as close to the shaft as I could, I sprayed for about 20 seconds or so. Then I changed the oil, just Valvoline 5W-30. NO MORE NOISE!!! I did talk to the local dealer and they did say there was a recall on 16,000 of these engines, and the oil pump shaft needed to be replaced. Just food for thought. Also, you may want to check daveysjeeps.com for replacement assemblies, he has them used for $20 a piece with the sensor.
I don't know if ours will still need replaced or if the cold outside temps have anything to do with it, It's been in the teens here for a few weeks.
ecsbabydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #65
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsbabydaddy View Post
Our '05 unlimited started making this noise from the exact same spot about 2 weeks ago. After reading the posts here, I decided to try a few things before removing the offensive device. Our lj has 53000 miles and I couldn't see how the shaft assembly needs replaced, so I pulled the cap off, and using a can of WD-40 with a long straw, sprayed under the tone ring/wheel, as close to the shaft as I could, I sprayed for about 20 seconds or so. Then I changed the oil, just Valvoline 5W-30. NO MORE NOISE!!! I did talk to the local dealer and they did say there was a recall on 16,000 of these engines, and the oil pump shaft needed to be replaced. Just food for thought. Also, you may want to check daveysjeeps.com for replacement assemblies, he has them used for $20 a piece with the sensor.
I don't know if ours will still need replaced or if the cold outside temps have anything to do with it, It's been in the teens here for a few weeks.
Thats smart thinking. Wish I would have thought of that before I replaced mine. But then again, if I did, this thread wouldnt exist! (pats self on back )

Man, I wish I could have got mine for $20. Good lookin out!
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #66
ecsbabydaddy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

what is this noise and why does it sound so angry

thanks for posting this, without it I would have been scratching my head for a while. I'd still like to know the actual recall number or whatever the service department calls it. Thanks for starting the thread.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #67
mmf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I originally tried the disassembly and lube method, worked at first, but the noise came back within 2 weeks. As mentioned there are no bearings, but I do believe that the engine oil is intended to migrate into the base. There is an oil passage in it. Not sure if maybe the passage gets blocked.
mmf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #68
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just replaced mine too, '05 with 66k miles when it failed.

My problems were exactly what was mentioned! When the 4.0 went to coil pack ignition, this is what went in place of the distrubutor. Mine started squeeking a little, then it got worse and worse. There is a sealed bearing/bushing inside of it.

You can I played with turning it forward/back to basically advance/retard the timing when it is running, there is a dead spot in the middle then the engine starts to cut out at both extremes. I have mine positioned at the advance side before it starts to cut out.... been tracking to see if it does anything for power or MPG.

I bought mine online from a chrysler OEM parts website ran by a dealer out of Texas, $105 overnite shipped, and it came with a new electrical sensor too. The local dealer wanted $140 for the unit + $45 for the sensor (not bad)

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #69
TJ_Jerry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You might want to try a different lubricant. I know WD40 is wonderful stuff but it isn't a permanent type of lube. It is basically fish oil with some other additives. You should use a petroleum based type of oil. Maybe just 3 in 1 oil or a very light motor oil. I would almost bet that your noise will come back soon.
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #70
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Jerry View Post
You might want to try a different lubricant. I know WD40 is wonderful stuff but it isn't a permanent type of lube. It is basically fish oil with some other additives. You should use a petroleum based type of oil. Maybe just 3 in 1 oil or a very light motor oil. I would almost bet that your noise will come back soon.
The only thing that will fix it, is to replace it...
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #71
ecsbabydaddy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

what is this noise and why is it so angry

I will replace this if the noise comes back, I just thought why not try a simple fix first and see what happens next.
Unread 03-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #72
SwissK31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread, but dose anyone know where i could get a cam position sensor? I went to the local dealer today, only to find out that their on national back order!?!? Is there any where else I can get one besides the junkyard.
SwissK31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #73
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just the sensor or the oil pump drive assembly? for just the sensor you may have luck at any autoparts store.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #74
SwissK31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry my bad, the whole oil pump drive assembly. I went to almost every autoparts store in my area also, and all they had was just the sensor part.
SwissK31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #75
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissK31 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but dose anyone know where i could get a cam position sensor? I went to the local dealer today, only to find out that their on national back order!?!? Is there any where else I can get one besides the junkyard.
If the cam position sensor gear went bad, good chance you'll have to replace the cam also...IMO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.