JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   What's this and why is it so angry? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/whats-why-so-angry-876488/)

Fropleyqk 10-10-2009 10:18 PM

What's this and why is it so angry?
 
So I found my crazy monkey noise. its coming from this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...uark/photo.jpg

Its the thing with the black cap to the right of the oil filter. When I start the Jeep up it make a horrible sound to me sounds like a laughing monkey! Either way, its gotten much worse today. What is it and how do I fix it?

Sorry for the crappy phone video but it lets you hear what it sounds like.

IMG_0123.flv video by fropleyquark - Photobucket

never monday 10-10-2009 10:22 PM

cam sensor
popular failure lately, seems there is a TSB on them

element54 10-10-2009 10:28 PM

Yah there is another thread about this same thing that came up just recently. Crazy...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...icking-875344/

I didn't read the entire thing so it may have some useful info in it.

Fropleyqk 10-10-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by element54 (Post 8082263)
Yah there is another thread about this same thing that came up just recently. Crazy...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...icking-875344/

I didn't read the entire thing so it may have some useful info in it.

Anyone have a link to the TSB? I cant find it? My warranty's up. Does Jeep replace TSB items after warranty for free?

Fropleyqk 10-10-2009 10:55 PM

Just looked up a replacement part at auto zone and the pic they have looks nothing like what Im looking at....?:confused:

Fropleyqk 10-11-2009 08:23 AM

More info?

Sweeney 10-11-2009 08:29 AM

What you found at Auto-Zone is probably just the sensor (the electronic component). The part that has failed is most likely the 'tone wheel/drive shaft' portion... which in earlier models had been the distributor shaft assembly.

Fropleyqk 10-11-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweeney (Post 8083386)
What you found at Auto-Zone is probably just the sensor (the electronic component). The part that has failed is most likely the 'tone wheel/drive shaft' portion... which in earlier models had been the distributor shaft assembly.

Agreed. It sounds like something is rubbing and it increases with engine speed.

Anyone have a how to or a parts breakdown? I can change it myself I just dont want to jack anything up. Everything I find when I search has to do with a distributor engine... mines an 06, distributorless...

RubaDub06 10-11-2009 08:47 AM

I bought the whole assembly from the dealer for about $130 when mine went out earlier this year. I installed it myself.

RicanLJ 10-11-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fropleyquark (Post 8082210)
So I found my crazy monkey noise. its coming from this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...uark/photo.jpg

Its the thing with the black cap to the right of the oil filter. When I start the Jeep up it make a horrible sound to me sounds like a laughing monkey! Either way, its gotten much worse today. What is it and how do I fix it?

Sorry for the crappy phone video but it lets you hear what it sounds like.

IMG_0123.flv video by fropleyquark - Photobucket

How many miles on you Jeep?

I have the same set up, no issues, maybe the bushing is not getting lubricated and start squealing, should be an inductive pickup, not many moving parts.

anyone have the TSB?

Fropleyqk 10-11-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicanLJ (Post 8083475)
How many miles on you Jeep?

I have the same set up, no issues, maybe the bushing is not getting lubricated and start squealing, should be an inductive pickup, not many moving parts.

anyone have the TSB?

33K. Why wouldnt it be getting any lube?

RicanLJ 10-11-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fropleyquark (Post 8083505)
33K. Why wouldnt it be getting any lube?

I have a 2004 with almost 46,000mi

Not really sure, I wish I had one to take apart.

Lately there's been some Jeepers with the same issue. The Technical Service Bulletin will tell us:)

kodyharrell 10-11-2009 10:05 AM

Yeah a few people have been having a prob. with theirs. And hey I recognize your name from SMJC website lol.

Fropleyqk 10-11-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kodyharrell (Post 8083663)
And hey I recognize your name from SMJC website lol.

Haha thats cool. Im still trying to get out and meet up with you guys...

Anyone have a link to the TSB?

DaleII 10-11-2009 12:01 PM

I have an 05 LJ with 55k miles and have yet to have any major problems. I have some weird clunking from my rear axle when i start moving slowly something, it's just random. Other then that I have no problems at all.


The time now is 09:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.