What's really the point? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What's really the point?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
ToothpickJ

What's really the point?

Ok, I know that if you add a 1-2" body lift that you can fit bigger size tires on to a stock suspension Jeep, but what's the point of going any bigger than a 2" body lift?

The reason I ask is, I seen a fellow wrangler going down the road today with at least a 3 inch lift with stock tires/rims. I am going to assume he has other offroad tires/wheels to go off roading...but...it looked half assed...

Is a body lift that much cheaper or better than a 2 inch RE BB?

I have also heard that body lifts can mess up something, sorry that is so vague but I can't remember what it is it can mess up. Is there any truth to it?

ToothpickJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

My brother in law has a 2" body lift and 6" suspension lift....he has 37" tires....the 2" body lift is useful on his Jeep and actually looks fine.

I would go with a REBB over a body lift anyday.

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Ryuu600

well first off the BL requires you to relocate your 4wd shift bracket because on the TJ it is located on the body. This can make for a level of insecurity as to the reliability of the shifter. I had a 97 TJ in '96 when they were first release that was raised with a 3" BL by the dealer and the way they did the shifter move was horrible, sometimes it would not shift at all and others it would shift into 4wd but not back into 2wd.

The other bad side of excessive BL is the increased possibility of the body bolts shearing in a rollover or accident. Although this is a rare occurence there are documented cases of it happening.

The major retarded part of this is that you don't gain any ground clearence from the lift itself. You only gain extra clearance from the tire size increase whereas with a suspension lift, even a BB, you receive extra clearance from both the tires and the lift.

Alot of Dealers will use the BL to make there "special editions" of the Wrangler so they can get the looks without the cost.
'06 TJ X Blue w/dark khaki top, 4.0L, 6 spd, 3.73, 30x9.5R15 Wrangler GS-As mounted on Ravine wheels, Soft-top w/half doors, 4 100w ProComp Offroad lights(2 bumper, 2 windshied), Cobra 29 LTD w/4' Firestik, Custom rear storage box.
Ryuu600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
ToothpickJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu600
The major retarded part of this is that you don't gain any ground clearence from the lift itself. You only gain extra clearance from the tire size increase whereas with a suspension lift, even a BB, you receive extra clearance from both the tires and the lift.

That's basically what I was coming at but didn't want to say it...you really do not gain clearance from a BL, so I was wondering what the point was.
Unread 09-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
bobbert350

well the body lift helps u put bigger tires on without getting a bigger supension lift and putting more stress on the car...body lifts are good but if i wouldnt recoment getting one unless u already have a lift or are getting a lift...and if ur not getting a lift and want a little bigger tire get one other than that o well
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A BL is needed for some of the "belly-up" skids and to install some of the gas tank skids that give more clearance under the tank. These are a couple of good reasons for installing a BL.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Ryuu600

yeah but if you are installing that kind of underbody protection you are doing enough hardcore wheeling that you have more than just a 3" BL on your rig.
'06 TJ X Blue w/dark khaki top, 4.0L, 6 spd, 3.73, 30x9.5R15 Wrangler GS-As mounted on Ravine wheels, Soft-top w/half doors, 4 100w ProComp Offroad lights(2 bumper, 2 windshied), Cobra 29 LTD w/4' Firestik, Custom rear storage box.
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Spectre66

The previous owner of my 99 put a 3" body lift on it and I'm here to tell you, it created some problems with the shifters... current plans are to take it back down to a 1" or 1.25" BL
Spectre66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #9
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
A BL is needed for some of the "belly-up" skids and to install some of the gas tank skids that give more clearance under the tank. These are a couple of good reasons for installing a BL.
Quote:
yeah but if you are installing that kind of underbody protection you are doing enough hardcore wheeling that you have more than just a 3" BL on your rig.
A 1" BL will cover these things.
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Ryuu600

Yeah I know, but the question was about doing a 3" lift and the point of that mod.

Anyway. More often then not this is someone that wants the look but will never wheel the jeep.
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
ToothpickJ

SO...basically all anyone would ever really need is a 1" BL because of shifter problems on anything taller than that? And that 1" is just in case you are wanting to put skid plates on before you get into any heavy suspension modding...even though I wouldn't consider an RE BB a heavy suspension mod.
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah I know, but the question was about doing a 3" lift and the point of that mod.

Anyway. More often then not this is someone that wants the look but will never wheel the jeep.
Agreed. My point is that 1" of BL will do what you need. I've seen several Jeeps with a 3" BL. A lot of them were installed by dealers (mostly used car dealers) to make the Jeep look hot and get some sucker to stop and look at it. There was a thread on this forum a while back where a guy was asking for opinions on a used Jeep for sale. He provided a link to the dealers web site. Every one of the Jeeps shown on that site had a 3" BL. The web site even stated that a "lift" and 31" tires were installed on every Jeep they brought to the lot to get it ready for you. It's good eye candy if you don't know what you are looking at.

On the other hand there is a fellow in Germany that has posted here a few times. In his country the law states that any modifications made to the vehicle has to be done using parts/methods approved by the goverment. From what he said this makes suspension lifts limited in the number of types available and very expensive. But BLs were approved and a lot cheaper. Guess what you do there if you want to run bigger tires?
Unread 09-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #13
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothpickJ
SO...basically all anyone would ever really need is a 1" BL because of shifter problems on anything taller than that? And that 1" is just in case you are wanting to put skid plates on before you get into any heavy suspension modding...even though I wouldn't consider an RE BB a heavy suspension mod.
There are two types of skids that frequently require a BL in order to install them.

A "belly-up" or "tummy tuck" skid is a skid that replaces the stock transfer case skid. They increase the clearance under the transfer case by raising the transfer case and also provide a much cleaner/smoother skid than the stock skid. The BL provides the room necessary above the transfer case to allow it to be raised.

There are a couple of gas tank skids that replace the stock skid and raise the tank up to provide more clearance under the tank. Some year models require a BL in order to install these replacement skids.

These are the only times a BL is required to install new skids.
Unread 09-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #14
fried_gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothpickJ
Most people don't need more than 1", but it's not because of shifter problems, those can be fixed, it's simply because that 1" is usually enough for what they need. When you install new things sometimes they just need a little more wiggle room, and a 1" BL gives you that.

Some other reasons to need a 1" BL:
If you install bigger tires but they rub the fenders a little, you can do a BL to lift the fenders up an inch. People can often get away with running tires that are a little too big for their lift this way.

If you have driveline vibrations and put in a motor mount lift to fix the vibes, the motor is lifted one inch so the body needs to be raised as well or the hood will hit the motor when you close it.
fried_gold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #15
folkxrock

I think a good rule here is this - the production of a part does not make it necessary. I would classify the 3in. body lift in with the item I will describe below.
Take the tards running around with a 6ft wing on the back of a civic. Do you think they need "extra downforce" to keep the rear wheels hooked up? No, the part is just in the latest edition of "popular rice burning" and they are retarded.

Good uses for a 3in. body lift
1) extra clearance to wash the under side of the body
2) extra place to sit (or misplace) nuts and bolts when you are working on the Jeep (the big dumb looking space on between the frame and body).
3) Extra hand hold if you are acting out a scene from "The A Team".

Please feel free to add your own suggestions to this list.

2006 Rubicon - SOLD RE 3.5 Coils, RE Ext. Rear SB Links, RE SS Brake Lines
JKS CV Track Bar Bracket, JKS Upper and Lower Arms,(Front & Rear), JKS Trackbars, JKS Disconnects, Currie Shock Ext. Brackets, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer , Custom CV Driveshaft, MT Classic II 15x8's, BFG MT's 33x12.5's, Jeeperman Skidz
folkxrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.