What's this device...It's clicking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What's this device...It's clicking

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What's this device...It's clicking

My father has a 2006 TJ. He emailed me this morning asking about a device attached to the passenger side of the engine block, just ahead of the oil filter. Its about 5 or 6 inches is diameter, with about 3 or 4 wires coming out of the front side of it. The top is oval with 2 torx screws holding the top plate down.The whole thing is about 8 - 10 inches high. He is concerned because right now it is making a lot of hard clicking sound after you start the engine. It goes away after about 10 minutes. He says you can feel the clicking if you put your hand on it.

Anyone know what this thing is? I live in VA and he is in NC, so I can't really look at it myself.

Last edited by 89WhyJ; 10-09-2009 at 05:50 AM..
89WhyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Dirtrider5490
1997 TJ Wrangler 

He isn't anywhere near winston-salem is he? be happy to help out a fellow jeeper, I'm also a tech.
97 TJ, 4 banger, 5 speed, 2.5" RC lift, 1.75" BDS coil spacers up front, Tuffy center console, Hurst T-handle, 33x10.50 boggers, docked front bumper with 10k winch, rear warn bumper, No sway bars, Hella 500FFs on the windshield,

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Most cars punish you for imperfect maintenance with a slightly shortened life, while Jeeps tend to get pissed and explode in your face.
Dirtrider5490 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtrider5490 View Post
He isn't anywhere near winston-salem is he? be happy to help out a fellow jeeper, I'm also a tech.
I really appreciate it. He's in New Bern though. Quite a ways from Winston-Salem.
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
txboy72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

got any pics?
05 Unlimited, RE 4.5, 4.5 springs, adjustable front and rear track bar, 33x12.5 MT Baja Claw Radial, 15x8 MT Classic Locks, 4.88's, Tom Woods rear cv and sye kit superwinch, RRC front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier, rocker guards, home made 1.5 seat risers
txboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any chance he would know how to take and send a digital picture? (If he's anything like my parents that's a "no"! )

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txboy72 View Post
got any pics?
Unfortunately no, he's in an all day meeting at work.
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like where the cam/crank position sensor goes to me. That's where the "dizzy" distributor used to go on the older ignition systems vs the distributorless ignition system found on an 06.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio

Last edited by Best4x4; 10-09-2009 at 06:45 PM..
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best4x4 View Post
Sounds like where the crank position sensor goes to me. That's where the "dizzy" distributor used to go on the older ignition systems vs the distributorless ignition system found on an 06.
Thanks for the insight. If that's the case, do you have any idea what would cause the clicking sound?
Unread 10-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds like where the crank position sensor goes to me. That's where the "dizzy" distributor used to go on the older ignition systems vs the distributorless ignition system found on an 06.
Not the crank pos. sensor. The cam pos. sensor. The crank sensor isat the back of the engine, top-side, just in front of the transmission.

The CAM position sensor is in the oil filter region.

EDIT:If you look on Autozone.com at how to replace a cam sensor, it has pics, let us know if that is it.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Last edited by Hesher420; 10-09-2009 at 07:38 AM..
Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89WhyJ View Post
Thanks for the insight. If that's the case, do you have any idea what would cause the clicking sound?
There's a TSB out on those for failing. Take it to a dealer to have it checked...
Unread 10-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That doesn't sound like a CKP to me, and where the distributor use to be is now the CPS (camshaft position sensor). CKP (crankshaft position sensor) is on the drivers side at rear of block in the bell housing!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
mmf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89WhyJ View Post
My father has a 2006 TJ. He emailed me this morning asking about a device attached to the passenger side of the engine block, just ahead of the oil filter. Its about 5 or 6 inches is diameter, with about 3 or 4 wires coming out of the front side of it. The top is oval with 2 torx screws holding the top plate down.The whole thing is about 8 - 10 inches high. He is concerned because right now it is making a lot of hard clicking sound after you start the engine. It goes away after about 10 minutes. He says you can feel the clicking if you put your hand on it.

Anyone know what this thing is? I live in VA and he is in NC, so I can't really look at it myself.
It's the oil pump drive gear/cmp sensor assembly.

Mine made a clicking which eventually grew to a knocking noise. Replaced the entire assembly.

The noise is from the endplay in the shaft, the driven gear on the base of the shaft literally slams up into the housing where the hold down mounts. In the TSB there is measurement betwen the top of the gear and housing that determines replacement.
mmf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
RubaDub06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the CPS to me to. Mine went out earlier this year. I think it cost about $130 from the dealer for the whole assembly and I replaced myself. When mine went out, I couldn't go over 2400 rpms.
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just offered my opinion. It's either a cam/crank sensor.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help guys. Sounds serious enough for him to take it in. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.