whats the cheapest way to lift,lock,gear and still wheel good and handle good - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > whats the cheapest way to lift,lock,gear and still wheel good and handle good

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 03-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
EKUSMC

whats the cheapest way to lift,lock,gear and still wheel good and handle good

i have a 1998 wrangler wth 44 in rear and 30 fnt. what lift,gears and lockers can i get that is cheap but perferably long arm lift for the handling. im looking at driving this everyday to work but still want to be a great wheel rig. 4.5 wth 33s or 6 wth 35s and wth that how much other bolt on strength parts will it need. thanks for any input.

EKUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
acorn

You'll soon find that cheap doesn't belong anywhere in that sentence.

The cheapest way to 33's is a 1" or so BL/MML with a 2" BB. You'll want sway bar disconnects, you'll need some recovery gear, and you really should get some armor. Lockers are never cheap for a daily driver.

There is no cheap way to run 35's.

Take that Jeep out and wheel it as is. That will help you figure out what you really need. Give it 6 months to a year. Read as much as you can and DO NOT make any hasty decisions.
Coming soon: 4.11's - OME HD

Black Jeep Club #105
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
EKUSMC

thanks acorn

ill save and just buy the best stuff. firsr some under armor . no body lift. ill prabably get 4.5 with 33s 411s some lockers? dont know what kind
EKUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
jkoffroadin
2009 JK Wrangler 

you add a 1" body lift and you can run those 35" tires.
Unread 03-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKUSMC
i have a 1998 wrangler wth 44 in rear and 30 fnt. what lift,gears and lockers can i get that is cheap but perferably long arm lift for the handling. im looking at driving this everyday to work but still want to be a great wheel rig. 4.5 wth 33s or 6 wth 35s and wth that how much other bolt on strength parts will it need. thanks for any input.
You just asked about $2500 to $3500 or more parts thats not including install if you aren't going to do it.
Acorn said it right, cheap has no place in that question. Your not gonna get cheap and 35" tires in the same sentence. I would wheel it a couple times, watch what others on the trail have and see how thier rigs handle. This will give you some ideas in realtime real life . Anyone can come on the forum and tell you anything they want you to hear. Although this is a great place for info, alot has to be taken with a grain of salt. Every Jeep is different where one may take to a 2.5" susp lift and fit 33's with no rubbing, another may grind everywhere. Nothing beats real life experiance.
Of course, if you have a blank check from mommy and daddy then just go pick the most expensive lift and throw some big tires on it and when it breaks go spend some more money.
Bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
paroxysym
2007 WK 

im doing a lift, tires, rims, and some recovery gear and im spending about $4k and that does include bumpers for recovery purposes.... that doesnt include a locker and install. so to do it right you probably around $5k if not more. i simply made a list and check **** off as i buy it.
Unread 03-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
acorn

That's pretty much my battle plan. Save save save. You'll probably want a selectable for your rear locker at least as yours is daily driven. Your D44 opens you up to some nice choices. My pick in your shoes would be the Eaton E-Locker.

Don't discount the 1" BL too quickly. There are some nice advantages to having one installed. Mainly you just need to give yourself some cool, quiet thinking time before you start dropping cash. Think the whole evolution through and identify stages within your build plan. And be a little flexible. Good deals come along if you watch the used market and you may need to alter your timeline or make minor shifts in your component list. I was going to bellyup at stock height and lift from there. Now I'll be installing the OME 2.5" I just bought and thinking about the bellyup later.
Coming soon: 4.11's - OME HD

Black Jeep Club #105
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The "cheapest" way to do all that is buy one already done from someone who had the money and wanted the coolness of a great feature list but is now moving on to some other rig.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
FlexyTJ

Cheap? Doing a lift of that size right, regearing and locking will run you atleast 4k-5k minimum, unless you have the capability to do most of the labor yourself.

Also if you are going to realistically wheel with that level of parts and not just drive to the mall- your probably not considering, wheels, tires, winch,roll cage additions, recovery equipment, spares (axles, u-joints, tie rods, ect...) that you will need to wheel reliably and safely at that level.
Unread 03-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Basic 4" suspension lift. Rubion Express 3.5, Superlift 4", blah blah 4"... your choice..., add a 1.25" BL, 1" MML, put a lockright in the front. SYE and CV driveshaft. Order 1.5" longer bumpstops. Add 35s, regear to 4.88s with a standard, maybe 4.56s with an auto. Slam your 35s on and roll.

So, 1000 for the lift and sye
200 for the bl/mml

30 for the bumstops...may be able to get the longer bumpstops with your lift... ask.

250 for the lockright or aussie locker in front.

1000 for the regear... may be able to find a used 30 with a lockright and the gears you want for a good price.

2450 and you can wheel your arse off. Get out a sawzall and you can run 39s on that setup with a 1" spacer front and rear and some more bump stop Add another 600 and get an elocker for the rear or an ox and have it installed while you regear.

3050 and you'll be invincible.

BTW look down here. NO BL. 1" Spacers up front and an 8.8 in back. Tweeked my fenders a tiny but I'm getting tube fenders anyway.
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
FlexyTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxturbo

2450 and you can wheel your arse off. Get out a sawzall and you can run 39s on that setup .

Yeah- slap some 39's on your D30/35 with stock steering and brakes, that'll be good
Unread 03-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym
i simply made a list and check **** off as i buy it.

LOL The list! I have a list as well. I ordered about 2/3 of the stuff on the list in the last week. My garage is getting filled with stuff to install. I like checking stuff off the list. bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
skoke70

I found this jeep on craigslist. For 6500 you can buy this jeep (looks like a long arm kit) swap over parts and re-sale it and probally get your money back.
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/146543117.html
looks like a great deal
1997 TJ SE, 175,000 5 speed. 8k on new engine. RE 4.5" long arm.1" PA BL, tera 4:1. 35"x12.5"x15" MTZ, fab tech front bumper, warn rear w/carrier. Currie rock sliders, D44 in rear w/ arb. 488 gears. TBT sports cage. currie tie rod.
skoke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
Hardkrawler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

-- $3050 and youll be invincible--

And on the bus, the dude needs a daily driver....

6" Nth Degree LA, 35" MTRs on Allied Beadlocks, Monster air valves,4.88s, Nth Tummy Tucker, Diff Stingers, Engine and steering box skid, Poison Spyder front and rear Stingers, Crusher corners, Rocker Knockers, Steering box and Gas skids, Full cage, LED lights, Currie HD steering, Warn 9.5 Ti, Superior Shafts, CB, My Shafts a Woody, More motor mounts, CTM joints, SwayLoc, York Air
And AiROCK on the way

I wave...
Hardkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2006, 08:00 AM   #15
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardkrawler
-- $3050 and youll be invincible--

And on the bus, the dude needs a daily driver....

Hmmm... drove mine to Mobile, rode all day and drove back. 3 hours each way. Drove to Gilmer - 6.5 hours on way, Katemcy 10 hours one way, and to work everyday. Its only 4" of lift. Heck, thats with 4.10 gears, too.

Buses smell bad.
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.