Whats the best (or easiest) way to remove the rear shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Whats the best (or easiest) way to remove the rear shocks

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineArtec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 05-28-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Whats the best (or easiest) way to remove the rear shocks

I need to change my rear shocks (1999 TJ no lift), and it seems like there's not a ton of room with the gas tank for any manuevering. I have soaked them with PB blaster. Any help would be great. Thanks

oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use a really long extension to reach the top. Like 18" long.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
05RubiLJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Make sure the extension follows the same angle as the shock body. People have rounded the bolt heads thinking they were perpendicular to the frame.
05RubiLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
blacksmithdog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is this the first time they've been replaced? If so, don't be surprised if you shear one off. I sheared off one on each side.
blacksmithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmithdog View Post
Is this the first time they've been replaced? If so, don't be surprised if you shear one off.
x2. be prepared to drill them out and buy new bolts/nuts. heck its probably a good idea to drill them out anyway.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Plan on the bolts breaking then get over it as it seams to be the norm with jeeps. After they break off and the shock is out of the way get a good 1/8" drill bit and center punch them then drill them a couple of mine started to screw out while I was drilling them and if you gota go the whole way and you mess up the threads just use a new bolt and nut. Some people use a air chiper to knock the old spot welded nut off but I just left it in place and used a longer bolt. When you get pissed walk away and have a beer then come back and start agine
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
79CJ-7Jeep

Easiest way? There is no easy way

But, if you want to avoid having to air hammer/ chisel / drill, do the following:

1. Drop the gas tank. Be prepared to snap a couple of more bolts doing this (front carriage bolts will most likely spin and will require some sawzall action).
2. If you don't already have one, buy a $20 MAP torch.
3. Heat shock bolts till glowing with torch.
4. Remove bolts.

If you don't heat them, they'll probably just shear right off. The gas tank removal seems excessive to most, but trust me, in the long run, it will save you ton's of time and grief. Plus with the tank down, you can scrape some of that rust off of things and get it sealed up before the cross member & whatnot rust away.

DO NOT use the torch with the gas tank installed. Seriously.
79CJ-7Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
blacksmithdog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

cidd:

Good advice, about walking away and having a beer. It's a good thing you can't pick up the Jeep and throw it.

You might be tempted to use 5/16" bolts (if you end up through bolting them), but you might want to go to 3/8". You'll probably have to take a flat file to the barpins just slightly to get the 3/8" bolts through them.

The way I drilled through mine was to first take a cone shaped burr on an air powered die grinder and drive it up through the old bolt. I then took an extra long (8-12") drill bit on a good drill (none of this cordless crap) and drilled the holes to size.
blacksmithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Dang. I guess I got off lucky... my bolts came right out.

No salt on the roads here, though.
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
vohk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got really lucky. Managed to get the rear's off without even taking the rear tires off, no shearing.

Generous application of PB Blaster + socket wrench/extension + excessive grunting and expression of inner peace and happiness. Works wonders.
vohk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Dang. I guess I got off lucky... my bolts came right out.

No salt on the roads here, though.
X2... except for the fact that my TJ came from an area that does salt road and "came right out" is a bit of a misnomer since I doused the bolts heavily with PB Blaster for 3 weeks prior to removal and had an impact wrench to use to remove the bolts.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

ah y'all are scaring me. i'm replacing my rear shocks soon. the original owner had put pro comps on it so i know they've been changed. so we'll see how that goes. i broke a bolt on the frame a few months ago and broke an easy out inside that bolt. that was a pain in the ***!
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

PB blaster did not perform so well in penetrating fluid testing.

Penetrating Oil ............... Avg load
None ............................ 516 pounds
WD-40 .......................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ...................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ................. 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ....................... 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix (50/50)... 53 pounds

Here is some more info:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pe...l-test-767247/
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a southern Jeep and my upper rear shock bolts came right out with no issues. I'd seen all the nightmare scenarios on here, but mine couldn't have been easier.

As others have said use a 12" or 18" extension on a 3/8" ratchet and follow the angle of the shock.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
Zew

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ is rusty... Mine came out w/ no issues. It has about 160K on it when i pulled mine out. easy peasy.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Kolak Ignition upgrade, K&N CAI, DT Headers w 3" Kolak exhaust/Flowmaster 50/Magnaflow CAT, Front/Rear Baer Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Front/Rear EBC Greenstuff Pads, Alpine CD/MP3/iPod Control Deck, RF 6.5 Power Series Separates

My V8 swap thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-5-2-v8-swap-618350/
Zew is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.