What are your thoughts on this? 4cyl TJ w/ turbo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What are your thoughts on this? 4cyl TJ w/ turbo

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 06-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Kemah
2011 JK Wrangler 

What are your thoughts on this? 4cyl TJ w/ turbo

I have a 1997 4cyl Wrangler that I have had for a number of years up in Nebraska with a snow plow on it. I had the plow removed the other day and I am going to be bringing it to Texas next week. (Fun Drive, I know) So I have planned on doing some upgrades to it but I know the power the engine produces is a problem if I add much weight. Talking to my buddy last night I decided to put a Turbo on it. He has an extra Garrett turbo that I will buy from him and most of the other parts I will need, the only thing is we will have to custom weld all of the pipes. I am not sure how hard it will be to route these. Along with doing that I was thinking about buying a Ram air hood and rerouting and custom building an air box that will sit in front of the ram to help with cooling.

I already have problems maintaining interstate speeds and if I put a lift and larger tires on it I am sure it would be even worse. Based off of his estimates he thinks the turbo that he has with a basic setup should yield around 75 extra HP. From there forward there are other things I can do to get some more although I am not trying to build a race car and dont want to have something that has to be tweaked all of the time to keep it running.

I am sure someone on here has done something like this or may have some thoughts and ideas that would be helpful, so please let me know.

Last edited by Kemah; 06-17-2012 at 06:35 PM..
Kemah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
4banged
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The turbo can be done but I've yet to read a turbo thread that went half as smoothly as planned. You might want to consider selling it now and buying a 6 cyl.
4banged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
1999TJRED85000

I would imagine (and I'm only guessing) that due to the weight of the wheels/tires, and the aerodynamics of our moving bricks, the turbo would be "turboing" so often that heat might be a real problem. It would be a really neat project though. If you do it, post lots of pics for us.
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
sethhawk1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What is your tire size. You may have a gear ratio problem if you have trouble keeping up with highway speed.
sethhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
OhSethiO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Idk about turboing a wrangler... It would be neat to see, just don't see it being practical. Don't forget a good tune afterwards as well... If not you'll blow your motor QUICK
OhSethiO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Kemah
2011 JK Wrangler 

Right now it is totally stock, besides some simple airbags on the front springs that I needed when the plow was on it. I will have to look when I get to Omaha but I would assume the wheels are 15's and just basic tires. I rarely left the city with this vehicle but the few times I did it would struggle to get to 70-75 mph on the interstate on flat ground. Hills would kill it at high speed. Around town or at 55 mph it runs great.

Last year I had to drive it to South Dakota and I believe that I experienced "Death Wobble" I had just turned a corner and got back up to about 50 mph and the front wheels went nuts. It felt like they were slapping off the ground. After that I was a little nervous but kept going and the wheel shook a bit around curves but not too bad. I also think that it could just be bad shocks from having that plow on there all these years. On my way to Texas next week I will probably fill up the air bags to see if that helps. And I had a friend take it to a shop last week to have it looked at and fixed if they can find anything wrong with it, so I will see what they say in a day or so.

My friend is a lot better with Turbos than I am so besides understanding what they do and how they work I have pretty limited knowlege, but we had thought the biggest hurdle would be the fact they make no computers for this motor to take care of the timing. He has a unit that we will try to rewire that changes the timing by 6 degrees when the motor goes into boost but leaves it stock when it is out. For my cooling ontop of the Ram air hood I was thinking about having a guy I know do custom fiberglass Louvres in that hood to let the heat release easier. and possibly create some type of scoop underneath to help the engine compartment breath if I need to.

My other option is obviously a motor swap so I figured that I would do this with a turbo that is big enough for the 4.0 also and if I blow the motor then I can put it on after I do a swap. We are planning on running 6-8 lbs of boost with the 2.5.
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Kemah
2011 JK Wrangler 

just got the call, it was a broken steering dampener and a broken sway bar. Being fixed now. Also I had about 400lbs of sand bags in the back so taking those out will probably help a lot. The sand bags were not in there when I was having the speed issues.
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
sethhawk1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemah
just got the call, it was a broken steering dampener and a broken sway bar. Being fixed now. Also I had about 400lbs of sand bags in the back so taking those out will probably help a lot. The sand bags were not in there when I was having the speed issues.
Your asking for trouble on this forum if you start posting dw fixes with sway bars and steering stabilizers.
sethhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
1999TJRED85000

It sounds like you need some basic maintenance. Tune up. Check all the u-joints, ball joints, steering components, etc. to be sure that they aren't overly worn. There are some very thorough discussions on the forum about all of this. No need to rehash.
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemah View Post
just got the call, it wasn't a broken steering dampener and a broken sway bar. Being covered up now.
Fixed it for you!

Seriously, neither of those things are DW causes. Do a search for dry steering test. Read and do that for proper diagnosis yourself rather than paying shop to waste your money.
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
Kemah
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I am assuming that DW is Daily Wear. The only reason I had posted this was I am about to drive 1100 miles and wasn't sure what the problem was. The guy doing the work is a friend and is only charging me for the parts, and I believe that this could have happened with the stress of using the snow plow. But I am going to go read about the dry steering test now. Thanks.
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemah View Post
Thanks guys, I am assuming that DW is Daily Wear.
DW = Death wobble (that you brought up in your prior post)

Tags
turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.