what is wrong with this jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what is wrong with this jeep?

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
breaker

what is wrong with this jeep?

this has happened to me 3 times already:
i'm driving. suddenly the battery dash gauge goes all the way down, and the 'check gauges' light comes on. i drive it home. i kill it and start it, the gauge goes up to only 12 (should be at 14). i take the alternator off aand have it checked at oreiley. its all good. i bring it back and put it back on. everything is ok again. give it a week, and it happens again. its got nothing to do with the belt. i never really do anything to fix it. i just remove and reinstall the alternator. please help.
1999 wrangler 2.5

breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dd you have the battery checked, too? Also, check all of the connections. It could be as simple as a loose cable on the batter post.

"Battery"
tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There is a braided ground strap between the engine and firewall. If one end is loose, it will cause your problem. This is the alternator ground even if it's nowhere near the alternator.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
breaker

no, i didn't get it checked. when the gauge fall to 12, i assumed that 12 was coming from the batt, and figured it was fine. all the connections look good, except for the terminals are kinda beat up. i'm going to take the battery for a test and buy new terminals right now. i'll be back with the results in an hour. thankyou friend
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
breaker

hey kaiser, i see the braided ground. its tight to the firewall, and hanging nowhere on the other end. where should i hook it to the engine? maybe to one of these valve cover bolts?
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The cable connects to the rear valve cover bolt, driver's side.
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
breaker

well.. so i see two ground straps here. the meet up at the firewall. one goes to the valve cover bolt you mentioned, and the other one was loose. i just stuck it on another valve cover bolt. i didnt know what else to do with it. i havent checked the battery yet, but im about to right now. so far, no change, dash reads 12 volts.
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
breaker

so...
i had the battery tested. its ok. i bought new terminals. lookin good. i unhooked the ground straps and cleaned the connections real good. i start the car. 12 volts. out of frustration, i rev it up real hard. 14 volts! crazy.
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's normal. Why are you frustrated? I think your issue has been solved...and stop hard revving it in nuetral. You may now resume happily Jeeping along!
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa...ature=youtu.be

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

no, that's not normal. without a heavy electrical load it should maintain 13.3-14.5v at idle. either the battery is bad, the alternator is bad, the wiring is bad, or the voltage regulator in the pcm is bad.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaker View Post
well.. so i see two ground straps here. the meet up at the firewall. one goes to the valve cover bolt you mentioned, and the other one was loose. i just stuck it on another valve cover bolt. i didnt know what else to do with it. i havent checked the battery yet, but im about to right now. so far, no change, dash reads 12 volts.
The other strap connects from the firewall to the hood.

Last edited by tomsrancho; 02-28-2013 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: T
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Belt tension?
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
no, that's not normal. without a heavy electrical load it should maintain 13.3-14.5v at idle. either the battery is bad, the alternator is bad, the wiring is bad, or the voltage regulator in the pcm is bad.
I was referring to the 14 volt part. And come to think of it, the factory gauge does not fluctuate very much at all.
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa...ature=youtu.be

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaker View Post
Improper grounding can cause strange problems. Connect the other ground cable to the hood. If you need a pic of the connection, I can send you one tomorrow.
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Any autoparts store can test the alt and battery for free.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.