what to upgrade, to be able to go mudding on weekends but have it as a daily driver? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what to upgrade, to be able to go mudding on weekends but have it as a daily driver?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #31
mhcblues119
1997 TJ Wrangler 

First i would buy a nice pair of 31's tires. I ran 31s on my stock wrangler for 2 years before i did anything else to it. It made it threw the mud. I learned a lot about my jeep during this period. If your worried about rubbing, get yourself a nice little grinder and trim your fenders a little it gives you a whole lot more clearance. One of the best things you could do to a stock wrangler is make yourself a cheap (15$) pair of discos. I broke my sway bar connects so i got discos and with the sway bar disconnected i saw much better performance.

The first picture is after a nice day of mudding. Completely stock with just 31in MTZ.
Second picture is of my front fenders cut. (still stock suspension)

I know run a 3in BDS lift and have 33s coming in the mail. Learn your jeep and make the upgrades you think you need. Itl hit you and then you won't be able to stop. In the past few months iv dropped 3-4 grand on my jeep and I'm no where near done

img_0012.jpg   img_0089.jpg  
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWaveAtNight View Post
Typically off road performance and on road performance are inverse of each other
That's not true at all.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #33
ftgiles
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's not true at all.
Lol, it's certainly true the way most people do it... Show me the money.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #34
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles

Lol, it's certainly true the way most people do it... Show me the money.
Imped has a custom 4 link that he fabled. I drool every time I see a picture of it. Redlyner and Hendrix are a few others that come to mind too.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #35
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Remember, Craigslist is your friend. I bought all sorts of armor and suspension components off craigslist and saved a lot there, but I bought things I didn't need at the time and all out of order, but I had plans for them anyway.
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #36
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86992 View Post
Imped has a custom 4 link that he fabled.

FT knows. He's making a valid point, not correcting me.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #37
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How crazy you gonna mud? Upgrade your tires, maybe a front lunchbox, recovery points and straps, oilpan tranny skid, a good oil pump for changing diff fluid ( you will be doing it 3-4 times a year), power washer is a must... Wait, that sounds like my plan (lol)
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #38
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

What's funny is that the more and more you learn about suspension, steering, braking, etc. the more you wonder just how safe all those big lifted trucks/Jeeps are that you see driving by you.

In reference to ftgiles comment.
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #39
ftgiles
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
What's funny is that the more and more you learn about suspension, steering, braking, etc. the more you wonder just how safe all those big lifted trucks/Jeeps are that you see driving by you.

In reference to ftgiles comment.
Safe? I always just wonder if they ever drive a car that would give them some perspective on how bad their junk really is.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #40
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped

FT knows. He's making a valid point, not correcting me.
Ha wow reading fail on my part I didn't see his username and what he quoted... Nevertheless my comment remains true

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #41
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

X2 on wheeling your vehicle stock for awhile. I also have a tight budget and run mine as a daily driver, but have found my girl to be most capable offroading. It does take some skill as a driver, but one of the most important things you can do is Listen! I started offroading with a group of people that had been offroading longer than I, and I just listened to everything they had to say, followed their instructions, and I've made it through some pretty hairy stuff in my stock LJ on 31's. It is a blast and you will learn a lot.

Tags
budget , daily driver , off road , stock suspension , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.