what to upgrade, to be able to go mudding on weekends but have it as a daily driver? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what to upgrade, to be able to go mudding on weekends but have it as a daily driver?

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
-ShockWave-
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Plenty of DDs on here that are very capable offroad.
Why risk breaking something on your DD, when a job or school could be at risk of attendance.

-ShockWave- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ShockWave- View Post
Why risk breaking something on your DD, when a job or school could be at risk of attendance.

Is this the Barbie jeep forum????
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
maximus1000
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ShockWave- View Post
So...your saying go out and buy another vehicle for off road use only? Then buy a trailer to haul it? -oh and then get a truck that can haul the trailer and jeep?

There are plenty of DDs that are very capable off road. Mine is a DD and on 36s..and a D60.. and a spool..and... etc etc. all depends on what you want to do, but it never stops, and you keep upgrading.
maximus1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #19
Djole

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus1000 View Post
So...your saying go out and buy another vehicle for off road use only? Then buy a trailer to haul it? -oh and then get a truck that can haul the trailer and jeep?

There are plenty of DDs that are very capable off road. Mine is a DD and on 36s..and a D60.. and a spool..and... etc etc. all depends on what you want to do, but it never stops, and you keep upgrading.
I couldn't agree more. I would want to spend that much on a vehicle only to drive it 1-2 times a month then trailer it the rest of the time. Why even own a jeep at that point. why not go and buy a buggy.
Djole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
dm0ney
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djole View Post
Why even own a jeep at that point.
x3
dm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
billbanshee

op said mud so i say mud terrains and a power washer
warn 9000i
billbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
bashepard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I wheeled my 97 TJ stock on 31 Mud Dawgs for years untill this year when i paid it off. I agree with everyone saying that it is quite capable. I invested about $700 in A Kolak lift. Which is a 2.5" Old Man Emu set of springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks. It was a breeze to install and it's smooth as all getout on the road. Then i got 33x10.5 r15 BFG KM2s 5 for about 1350. They fit on stock rims, perform amazingly on and offroad, and on a lesser note look GREAT.

Wheeling your DD is one of the best ways to get to know your vehicle. If and when you break something, get in there, learn how to fix it and be a more well rounded person from the experience.
397801_10100569878939901_7005668_52657965_889735593_n.jpg  
bashepard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
maximus1000
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You could throw in a lunchbox locker like a lock rite pretty cheap and easily too.
maximus1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #24
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

I drove a WJ locked for quite a while...got irritating after awhile of driving through town. I'd spend the extra dough on selectable lockers...they're well worth every penny. On a budget I'd look for an LSD since it's invisible on road. I'm figuring the OP will be DD'ing this Jeep 95% of the time so speaking from experience a lunch box auto locker gets annoying (personal opinion only).

Also, as this thread originally says "MUD" I would suggest the OP get into a regular routine of cleaning all braking components on the Jeep. Especially if he's running older calipers; I don't know if it was just the WJ or not but once I started submerging the axles into muck my rotors/calipers started giving me a ton of issues.

Mods that will add up to performance for the OP; 31" mud tires, LSD and if needed BB with good shocks to ease the on road ride.
Unread 01-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wheel my DD....I've got another option if I need it but I choose to drive the Jeep as often as possible and don't trailer it. I love hard trails and rocks. The sketchier the better. I do it that way because I like the challenge and I like the fact that it really shows confidence in the rig and the parts used. It's not hard to build a rig that is point-and-shoot off the road, drives great on the road at any speed, and durable/reliable enough to be able to do both in one day. It's not cheap, either. You can't just slap some cheap arms, coils, shocks, and some good tires on it and call it good. It takes way, way, way more.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

^And finding all of this out the hard way sucks...been there done that and won't do it again.
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
jwaller89

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just have a 2" BB on mine and KM2's. I was doing good yesterday until I went into a big mud hole, and a stick got rammed up beside my t-case and disconnected my novak shifter and shifted my t-case to neutral. I was stuck in the water, literally.

This was after I had been pulled out of the hole some.

This was after we were done for the day. I only got stuck once. But after I fixed it, I went back through it.

I get around fine in mine. Just get some good tires that clean out the mud as they spin, and make sure you have the right gears for the size of tire you're running. That way, the engine won't bog down in the lower RPM's.

And like said above: Get a pressure washer. Most cars washes won't let you wash this much mud off your Jeep.
Originally Posted by 5-90
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet
FYI: For concerned parents out there. The wrangler has fairly good frontal, offset, and rollover crashworthiness ratings. IE: You walk away from a crash, and write posts on how you plan to re-build your rig.

just4effect.com sub box review
jwaller89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
dm0ney
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
I drove a WJ locked for quite a while...got irritating after awhile of driving through town.
I assume maximus1000 meant a lunchbox up front, where it is invisible unless you're in 4WD.

I agree that front & rear selectables are better if you have the $, but as far as bang for your buck, the $250 to add an Aussie up front made a night-and-day difference in the performance of my Jeep. (Works nicely with the LSD I already had in the rear.)
dm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #29
IWaveAtNight
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get some better tires and some recovery gear. A half decent winch would run you around 400 bucks but if you know how to use it properly you can start with just a good ol hi lift jack. Typically off road performance and on road performance are inverse of each other, so just find the right balance for your needs.
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #30
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWaveAtNight View Post
Get some better tires and some recovery gear. A half decent winch would run you around 400 bucks but if you know how to use it properly you can start with just a good ol hi lift jack. Typically off road performance and on road performance are inverse of each other, so just find the right balance for your needs.
They don't have to be. Maybe if you're talking about buying cheap lift kits but if you build it right you can have a just as or even better on road experience.

Recovery gear does go a long way though. A cheap strap served me well for a year but I then bought a Warn under $500.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
budget , daily driver , off road , stock suspension , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.